Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 AM

242 posts, read 193,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Putting something into context places its true meaning. You use out of context to proclaim an issue, yet all you show is your lack of understanding of the text. Some things are very clear, others require cross referencing to place it within its context. This is done in the Bible all the time, the disciples when carrying the word used the proper context all the time to clarify to people the teachings. The simple fact here is you honestly don't understand what you are talking about and attempt to use it as a claim of validity when it is not.

Over all, your position is that none of the texts are valid and that people can choose to interpret them as they see fit. If this were the case I could justify anything through clever use of the Bible to support any sin and you will find that many great atrocities have been committed throughout history using this very approach. Christianity is meaningless if man decides all.

Its not Christianity, it is a perversion of the word to fit mans desires. If people truly accept him, they will strive to understand his word and not make excuses that fit their own lifestyle or comfort. Man does not dictate his will to God.
All you are doing is shooting off nonsensical assertion after nonsensical assertion. You lambaste me for the same thing you and those like you are guilty of. You aren't convincing me; you're just demonstrating how truly limited your scope is, which I at once find laughable and contemptible. When you can address my claims rationally and comprehensively, you might actually gain something in the way of leverage.

Until then, I'll just enjoy the show.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,263,165 times
About shellfish, the New Testament abolishes old dietary laws while sexual morality is only re-enforced (see Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6). Its very clear as to what is to be followed and what is not. That red herring may work with atheists but it doesn't work with anybody who has knowledge of the Bible.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You attempt to proclaim a subjectivist position as the ruler here, but the Bible is not a subjective bed pan for people to squat in.
Yes, actually, it is. Sorry.

Quote:
As to my response, it was a logically fallacy as it did not contest anything and was essentially an adhominen attack. Are you now going to insert subjective interpretations on the rules of debate as well? If so, there is no point in discussing anything with you as there is no path that you follow that would provide sane dialog. A discussion lost in the woods is merely a waste of time and I have no wish to wander aimlessly with you.
We are not debating, because you are not relying on logic to begin with. You are relying on faith and your intepretation of it, and that is something I cannot touch, so I will not try to. I stand by what I've stated, because it was accurate. Just in case my meaning wasn't clear enough: What you think you know doesn't make it truth for anyone else but you.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
About shellfish, the New Testament abolishes old dietary laws while sexual morality is only re-enforced (see Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6). Its very clear as to what is to be followed and what is not. That red herring may work with atheists but it doesn't work with anybody who has knowledge of the Bible.
The shellfish was only one example that I chose. There are many, many more, as "anybody who has knowledge of the Bible" can attest.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
You are relying on faith and your intepretation of it, and that is something I cannot touch, so I will not try to. I stand by what I've stated, because it was accurate. Just in case my meaning wasn't clear enough: What you think you know doesn't make it truth for anyone else but you.
If we are talking about within the Church, or course we should rely on faith and God's word. What the atheist thinks is right and wrong should be of no concern when governing the church when it contradicts God's word.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The shellfish was only one example that I chose. There are many, many more, as "anybody who has knowledge of the Bible" can attest.
I know the others, such as multiple fabrics or something like that. Lets hear the others, since there are many, many more. If its in Leviticus and still applicable to today, its usually backed up by something in the New Testament.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
If we are talking about within the Church, or course we should rely on faith and God's word. What the atheist thinks is right and wrong should be of no concern when governing the church when it contradicts God's word.
Exactly, and that's why it doesn't make sense. It's all subjective, no matter which way you chock it up. Lutherans are no more right than Catholics...Methodists...Presbyterians....etc. They're all petty, shallow, and crazy.

It's nothing more than a glorified roundtable discussion about a work of literature.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I know the others, such as multiple fabrics or something like that. Lets hear the others, since there are many, many more. If its in Leviticus and still applicable to today, its usually backed up by something in the New Testament.
Yes, like there should even be a "New" or "Old" testament if it's all God's word. Unless God is into editing and revising his own material. Like any good writer (that is, man) should.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Exactly, and that's why it doesn't make sense. It's all subjective, no matter which way you chock it up. Lutherans are no more right than Catholics...Methodists...Presbyterians....etc. They're all petty, shallow, and crazy.

It's nothing more than a glorified roundtable discussion about a work of literature.
Until recently, virtually all Christian denominations except for maybe the MCC/UCC had the same views on what was sinful and what was not. Now, because our culture has glorified homosexuality so much, churches have decided that since MTV says homosexuality is normal and natural then its not really wrong and God was wrong when He condemned it. That is blasphemy. They are heretics.

Quote:
Yes, like there should even be a "New" or "Old" testament if it's all God's word. Unless God is into editing and revising his own material. Like any good writer (that is, man) should.
Ah, it looks like you can't come up with anything, and this only further shows your ignorance of the Bible.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Until recently, virtually all Christian denominations except for maybe the MCC/UCC had the same views on what was sinful and what was not. Now, because our culture has glorified homosexuality so much, churches have decided that since MTV says homosexuality is normal and natural then its not really wrong and God was wrong when He condemned it. That is blasphemy. They are heretics.
There is no such thing as heresy if something is inherently relative and subject to interpretation. Enough said.

Quote:
Ah, it looks like you can't come up with anything, and this only further shows your ignorance of the Bible.
Oh please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality