Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,521,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
When the Founding Fathers said ''God'' or ''Creator'' it was in a general sense though, they didn't mean to have someone pervert it into saying that their god was the 'creator.' The whole thing with 'In God We Trust' on the dollar or 'One Nation Under God,' in the Pledge, I've always wondered what would happen if the word god was changed to government or flying spaghetti monster. So it would say 'Under Government we Trust,' or 'One Nation Under the Nation Under the Government.'

I'd have to agree with FlashTheCash that the U.S. Constitution should be totally seperate from religion and federal jurisdiction.
If that was the meaning then why all the uproar about removing it. Why not just let it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 03:26 PM

415 posts, read 611,255 times
I find it absolutely appalling that Justice Antonin Scala, in his dissenting opinion in McCreary County v. ACLU, constructed his model of "the relationship between church and state" in America without even considering the actually text of the Constitution. How do incompetents like him get on the U. S. Supreme Court?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
If that was the meaning then why all the uproar about removing it. Why not just let it be?
I think all the uproar stems from the fact that the United States has a multiplicity of religions. The whole 'under god' and 'in god we trust' tends to imply the Christian god. But to a pagan the United States could be one nation under many gods, or to an atheist or agnostic it could be one nation under the government or to a muslim one nation under Allah.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,266,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
I find it absolutely appalling that Justice Antonin Scala, in his dissenting opinion in McCreary County v. ACLU, constructed his model of "the relationship between church and state" in America without even considering the actually text of the Constitution. How do incompetents like him get on the U. S. Supreme Court?
I agree. The constitution is very clear. Scalia is a case study in legislating from the bench according to his own very narrow religious views. He is the opposite of a constructionist Juror.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I think all the uproar stems from the fact that the United States has a multiplicity of religions. The whole 'under god' and 'in god we trust' tends to imply the Christian god. But to a pagan the United States could be one nation under many gods, or to an atheist or agnostic it could be one nation under the government or to a muslim one nation under Allah.
It also implies a need for religious uniformity, which is the cornerstone of religious tyranny....

Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The constitution is very clear.
The Constitution is confusing especially when it comes to religion.

Quote:
Scalia is a case study in legislating from the bench according to his own very narrow religious views. He is the opposite of a constructionist Juror.
I agree....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality