Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 06:06 PM

51,637 posts, read 24,976,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Nice little dance, not sure I believe any of it. You have a pattern of making stuff up, to fit your personal narrative.
One insult following another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2024, 11:48 PM

16,928 posts, read 5,135,944 times
Quote:
Nice little dance, not sure I believe any of it. You have a pattern of making stuff up, to fit your personal narrative.
Your whole narrative about what your god knows and does is making stuff up, so you should be careful with your accusations.

Your confusion between "support" and "cause" is also suspicious.

Old 06-25-2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your whole narrative about what your god knows and does is making stuff up, so you should be careful with your accusations.

Thank you, Harry.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:22 AM

29,766 posts, read 9,939,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Between thought provoking and being provoked? First is mindful reading with attempt to comprehend the meaning and depth of the words. Words are not always adequate to express everything we want to say. Some people are more competent than others, but everyone who bothers to write may have something to tell us that we did not know. We gain something.
Being provoked is a choice. It is reading the texts in a way that supports once bias, preconceived ideas, without regard to what one might be missing. Being literal when the message is poetry. We gain nothing other than "heartburn".
Perhaps I was too quick and too short to give this subject due merit, but I was merely thinking that everything I read is thought provoking to some degree or another. From hardly negligible to profound, and this will provoke me (to act) to a similar degree accordingly.

Is it possible that we are all provoked in similar fashion and this is not so much a choice but a normal emotional reaction or response? It is what we do with that reaction or response that is a choice. Is it not?

For example, I can read about some injustice going on somewhere and this provokes an emotion or response that makes me wish I could do something about the injustice. Whether I actually do something about the injustice is my choice.

Seems to me anyway...

Old 06-25-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I have not always agreed with Phet though usually I do. Either way I have never felt or been inclined to believe Phet makes stuff up. Why would you lodge such an insult like that I wonder? "Nice little dance" is insulting as well. A sign that maybe you have little better to offer when it comes to holding up your end of whatever disagreement(s) you may have with others like Phet.

Whether I am right or wrong about this, either way you can no doubt do better than this sort of thing...

Old 06-25-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

Now I see the insults have been duly noted after having posted my last comment. Too bad about that, but one thing is for a religious person to believe what they do. They certainly don't believe they are making stuff up, but accusing others of basically lying when there is no good justification doesn't seem like the "Christian thing to do."

Funny when it seems some people employ the old "do as I say and not as I do" routine...

Old 06-25-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have not always agreed with Phet though usually I do. Either way I have never felt or been inclined to believe Phet makes stuff up. Why would you lodge such an insult like that I wonder? "Nice little dance" is insulting as well. A sign that maybe you have little better to offer when it comes to holding up your end of whatever disagreement(s) you may have with others like Phet.

Whether I am right or wrong about this, either way you can no doubt do better than this sort of thing...
thank you!

I am a poster who often likes to makes a point by relating personal experiences...to me, that gives context.

Old 06-25-2024, 11:31 AM

15,161 posts, read 10,007,387 times
Well isn't that the very thing atheist accuse believers of... "nice to dance around the subject and I don't believe you, you make stuff up to fit your Biblical narrative".

That was a quote.... I just paraphrased it to fit the moment. Feels kinda <<bleep>> to hear it... right? Go figure. Hypocrites. Turn about is fair play.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-26-2024 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Unacceptable language

Old 06-25-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Well isn't that the very thing atheist accuse believers of... "nice to dance around the subject and I don't believe you, you make stuff up to fit your Biblical narrative".

That was a quote.... I just paraphrased it to fit the moment. Feels kinda <<bleep>> to hear it... right? Go figure. Hypocrites. Turn about is fair play.
I think you're missing a key difference here.

No, we don't believe in much of what is written in a book from 2,000+ years ago.
That's very different than saying that an individual poster makes stuff up about his or her own experiences.

I can only think of one poster -- and he/she is in a different part of the forum -- who many of us don't believe because of truly outlandish experiences about almost any topic that comes up.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-26-2024 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 06-25-2024, 11:44 AM

15,161 posts, read 10,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're missing a key difference here.

No, we don't believe in much of what is written in a book from 2,000+ years ago.
That's very different than saying that an individual poster makes stuff up about his or her own experiences.

I can only think of one poster -- and he/she is in a different part of the forum -- who many of us don't believe because of truly outlandish experiences about almost any topic that comes up.
Lol... forest for the trees. There none so blind who will not see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality