Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times

Advertisements

I often think in this day and age, with our current understanding of the world and universe, how is it not possible that humanity has not embraced one another as a people? Now, I'm not talking about the common people themselves because not everyone is educated in history, in science, etc. However for those who lead nations, why do they act as if they are uneducated? Why do they act with greed, knowing the end results? Why does nation want to dominate another nation, knowing the end results? There is an entire universe to explore out there, starting with this planet itself. If humanity is going to accomplished the potential that is out there, you are going to need a healthy humanity moving forward. All this thinking you are better than others, hoarding wealth, and not caring for the well being of others, we know exactly where it leads. Yet the smart/wise/educated folks act just like our ancestors, and empires of old.

Yet leading countries who promote aggression have some sense in their noggin. They have yet gone off the deep end with the nuclear power we have. This is proof for me they have knowledge of not wanting to destroy the world, or more specifically their own existence, but they refuse to do the things that only benefits the existence of humanity on the planet. What prevents them from seeking peace? I'm of the belief you can't explain this "naturally". There is no chemical explanation in the brain that explains why an educated nation refuse to seek the prosperity of humanity as a whole, is spite of knowing the great potential of a loving and communal humanity. It has to be something wrong with us spiritually speaking.

Haha, then again some would say the problem is religion itself. If that is the case, then we would come to the same conclusion through slightly a different perspective. Yet putting that argument aside, can someone tell me why can't "educated" nations put their differences aside and lead humanity toward community, if its not a spiritual problem? Why can't those who know history, science, and the potential for growth, build up humanity, instead of what we currently see in the same destructive behavior we've seen from the past?

Old 03-07-2024, 08:26 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I often think in this day and age, with our current understanding of the world and universe, how is it not possible that humanity has not embraced one another as a people? Now, I'm not talking about the common people themselves because not everyone is educated in history, in science, etc. However for those who lead nations, why do they act as if they are uneducated? Why do they act with greed, knowing the end results? Why does nation want to dominate another nation, knowing the end results? There is an entire universe to explore out there, starting with this planet itself. If humanity is going to accomplished the potential that is out there, you are going to need a healthy humanity moving forward. All this thinking you are better than others, hoarding wealth, and not caring for the well being of others, we know exactly where it leads. Yet the smart/wise/educated folks act just like our ancestors, and empires of old.

Yet leading countries who promote aggression have some sense in their noggin. They have yet gone off the deep end with the nuclear power we have. This is proof for me they have knowledge of not wanting to destroy the world, or more specifically their own existence, but they refuse to do the things that only benefits the existence of humanity on the planet. What prevents them from seeking peace? I'm of the belief you can't explain this "naturally". There is no chemical explanation in the brain that explains why an educated nation refuse to seek the prosperity of humanity as a whole, is spite of knowing the great potential of a loving and communal humanity. It has to be something wrong with us spiritually speaking.

Haha, then again some would say the problem is religion itself. If that is the case, then we would come to the same conclusion through slightly a different perspective. Yet putting that argument aside, can someone tell me why can't "educated" nations put their differences aside and lead humanity toward community, if its not a spiritual problem? Why can't those who know history, science, and the potential for growth, build up humanity, instead of what we currently see in the same destructive behavior we've seen from the past?
It's in the genes and is evolutionary. Humans are most closely related to the chimpanzee and chimpanzees can be quite brutal. That's not to say that humans can't be noble and things of that nature, but we do have our bad side.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It's in the genes and is evolutionary. Humans are most closely related to the chimpanzee and chimpanzees can be quite brutal. That's not to say that humans can't be noble and things of that nature, but we do have our bad side.
Shouldn't educated people be aware of this, and overcome that urge? The potential of growth as a species should outweigh the urge to be violent.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:03 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

The bold is symptomatic, not causal. It reveals the symptom of our lack of spiritual maturity that religions were supposed to promote. Instead, they have retained our ancestors' primitive barbarism and savage beliefs about God. How can you expect us to mature to the spiritual ideal represented by Jesus if we THINK our LOVING God needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice? We interpreted Jesus's agape love and forgiveness on the Cross for His scourging and crucifixion as necessary appeasement to God before He would forgive us "filthy rags" and not send us to an eternal Hell of torment. There is nothing spiritually mature about such a God, IMO.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold is symptomatic, not causal. It reveals the symptom of our lack of spiritual maturity that religions were supposed to promote. Instead, they have retained our ancestors' primitive barbarism and savage beliefs about God. How can you expect us to mature to the spiritual ideal represented by Jesus if we THINK our LOVING God needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice? We interpreted Jesus's agape love and forgiveness on the Cross for His scourging and crucifixion as necessary appeasement to God before He would forgive us "filthy rags" and not send us to an eternal Hell of torment. There is nothing spiritually mature about such a God, IMO.

Of course from your view, would I be correct to say we won't reach maturity until we are actually dead and freed from the body? If that is the case, then humanity will always be messed up, until the last human is no more.

Old 03-07-2024, 06:53 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Of course from your view, would I be correct to say we won't reach maturity until we are actually dead and freed from the body? If that is the case, then humanity will always be messed up, until the last human is no more.
The religions were supposed to foster spiritual maturity! Instead, they have continued to perpetuate the primitive ignorance and barbarism of our ancestors' beliefs about God so you might be correct. The primitive barbarism of the dogma is being rejected by those who do develop a more mature spirituality but they also tend to throw God out in the process. I see no easy solution for the stupid impasse that is created by such reverence for our ancestors' ignorant beliefs.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:56 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Shouldn't educated people be aware of this, and overcome that urge? The potential of growth as a species should outweigh the urge to be violent.
They should, and sometimes even do. But not enough people, often enough.

I'm resigned to humanity endlessly repeating cycles of prosperity and want, freedom and authoritarianism, just like it always has. With and without religion and science. No, I don't think science will save us. It gives us understanding and tools we could use to save ourselves, but collectively, we can't see far enough to make the appropriate investments in our own future. Often, we disrespect, if not kill, those who CAN see further. If you want a religious version of that, remember Jesus lamenting how Jerusalem always killed the prophets he sent them.

Clearly the problem isn't spiritual because thousands of years of applying spiritual solutions hasn't changed the basic situation. Those who claim it makes a difference usually displace any meaningful realization of that difference into an afterlife, or admit that only a few individuals who "find enlightenment" can realize it in this life.

The problem is human nature and the human condition, and I don't know any practical way to transcend that as a species. What keeps me going is the possibility of individuals and some smaller communities transcending it, if only imperfectly.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:47 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The problem with humanity (well, there are a LOT of problems w/ humanity, but space here is limited) is ignorance and superstition. Often they're the same thing.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:16 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The problem with humanity (well, there are a LOT of problems w/ humanity, but space here is limited) is ignorance and superstition. Often they're the same thing.
To me, that's a fair statement.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:34 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I used to say that, and don't disagree with it ... but I no longer think of it strictly in terms of religion. I think people have magical beliefs about politics, work ethic, economics, Other People, authority, and so on. I don't think it requires religion, although religion is something of a catalyst / accelerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality