Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 PM

64 posts, read 102,631 times

Advertisements

Me personally, im not a big fan of this whole censorship idea that is being preached in American society. I mean, what is the whole big idea behind it? My personal opinion is the government has gone way to far in its powers origonally designed in the constitution. And what is up with this so called constitution that we live under? Any history major would agree with me on this that the United States of America was founded and established by Chirstian Europeans. As you can see now, we have a country created and mixed with religious ideology. The whole censoship thing really drives me insane. Its more of a personal preference then a standard set quota, but no the government has to make it LAW. i get the feeling that the supposed democracy we established is slowly turning into the ultimate dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 AM

43 posts, read 39,033 times
Actually, the leading founding founders were Deists and freethinkers, not Christians. Even the ones who were Christians were not the arrogant and selfish kind we have today, who want only their beliefs in the spotlight. They didn't want a theocracy - they wished to build a country to escape from that dangerous mindset. I'm really confused about this "censorship" you speak of however. Are you actually claiming that Christians are censored? I suggest you turn on the TV tomorrow morning and flip through the channels. You'll see plenty of Christian propaganda programs. And I don't know how it is where you are but you can't drive a mile without seeing two or three Christian churches here.

Last edited by Ranj_Ramak; 06-01-2008 at 01:08 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 01:27 AM

793 posts, read 2,216,595 times
Censorship has been too far in the US for a long time. I used to live in Western Europe and I can definitely see a big difference between the two parts of the Globe.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 AM

43 posts, read 39,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Censorship has been too far in the US for a long time. I used to live in Western Europe and I can definitely see a big difference between the two parts of the Globe.
I think (hope) you are talking about a different idea of censorship than the OP

Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,364,129 times
I think the control of the press and news is coming from several areas. The big one is the press itself. They will manipulate the news to fit their marketing needs, and on a much higher or global level change the news to achieve their political goals. The Government's problem is they sits back and lets it happen due to freedom of the press or worst they manipulate the press themselves. The best thing that has happened for the average person looking for truth is the internet Blog. It takes a day for most press to be checked on a Blog. The sad part is a high percentage of news is bogus.
I have reached the point of not even wanting to see a copy of the countries largest news chain based out of New York, or the related paper controlled by them. I don’t think they know the truth. They give you their point of view on a plate, which you are not to think about, just accept. I have found one paper out of Boston which I like. As a non religious person it feels funny buying it, but I do, because they still give right and left views on issues and want your mind to make the decision. I seem to always fall in the middle.
I think my point is freedom of the press is only as good as the news you get. In our present system it borders on worthless. I suggest you go find the News Blogs, and let your mind wake up to both sides of an issue. That is where you find freedom of the press in today's world.

Last edited by cncracer; 06-01-2008 at 05:03 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM

793 posts, read 2,216,595 times
I am talking about the freedom of speech. Even Hollywood does it. Movie Writers, as soon they write something controversial, the one in control make the writer change or even delete the scene in question.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,619,269 times
Quote:
Even Hollywood does it. Movie Writers, as soon they write something controversial, the one in control make the writer change or even delete the scene in question.
Apparently you've never seen the Mel Brooks movie, Blazing Saddles.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
I am talking about the freedom of speech. Even Hollywood does it. Movie Writers, as soon they write something controversial, the one in control make the writer change or even delete the scene in question.
Do you understand the legal definition of "freedom of speech?" It only applies to public forums (I mean real forums of gathering - not online, LOL) and individual citizens, not somebody who is employed in the private sector. If a movie producer is paying for a script, they have every right to pick & choose what is said - and the writer has every right to quit if they're not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality