Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times

Advertisements

Its beyond me how people can't seem to seperate these two things:

1. Saving someone at work
2. Saving someone while not at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
I haven't read every post so some of this may be repetitious.

Q. How do you handle someone who won't leave the topic alone and try to convert you at work (or even out of work)?

A. You tell them to stop. It doesn't have to be hostile or agressive towards the other person. Be up front and clear. Explain how you enjoyed working with them and your conversations before any witnessing began. If it's accurate, explain how you'd like to work with them that way again, so please keep conversion off the table. Explain how you've kept the boundaries (he may not realize you were doing this) and really don't mind hearing about his life activities - even if that includes church/religion - but stop pressuring you to convert. And point out (as they may lose this view) that you are the same person as before and nothing is going to change that. I think that's the simplest way.

As for the more general, broad question of why this happens.. there were some good answers given before that I concur with. Basically, yes, we are to share the gospel of Jesus .. both in word and in deed .. with others. However, if we share with someone who doesn't want to hear, we are told (in the Bible) to basically (paraphrasing here) shake the dust from our shoes and move on. You know how highly I regard the Bible and its teachings, however, it's not meant to be used as a hammer on others.

And I see this from the other side of the fence. The staffing in my office has changed over the past few years and now I'm on the outside looking it, as it were. No, I didn't ask them point blank what their beliefs were concerning God .. but their behavior and comments and other certain remarks made it very apparent. I just made it very clear to them I didn't appreciate their remarks/comments and would rather not hear them any more. We work together fine and have conversations about things other than work but occasionally I'll still have to remind them to watch how they speak to/about me. Every derrogatory label about Christians you can think of has been thrown my way.

Funny thing is, I've never verbally witnessed to them. Ever. The old addage is true .. actions speak louder than words. The most I've ever done is correct what I believed to be an erroneous statement that they made to me about Christianity or my faith or views. Then I leave it alone.

This also relates to their views about black people. They are prejudiced in their views and opinions about blacks. Not radical KKK stuff, but still not appropriate. Example, just today, one told me my property value would drop because a black man was building a house on the property behind mine. I tried to tell them their views are incorrect and they should not talk about black people that way and they never understood why I was like that. I'm white. However, I've always believed all people are people and color doesn't matter. My brother-in-law is black and I have a wonderful niece and nephew who are biracial. They didn't know this, until I hung their family picture in my office... right beside my Psalms calendar.

So to end this tirade .. I know how you feel, Troop, except I'm on the other side and it involves both race and religion. Be firm, be polite and don't give them any ammunition to use against you. Be the bigger person.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

And I see this from the other side of the fence.
Totally agree. The street runs both ways.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:11 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Totally agree. The street runs both ways.
I try not to run in the street...much too risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality