Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 12:48 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Name me one. I couldn't find any.
Again, I'm not about to do your homework for you. Google is there. I'd use the same resource. LOOK IT UP!

Quote:
And what about the poor and indigent who don't? Face it, Mink: the RCC simply doesn't want to spend that kind of money on the poor.
What a CROCK. You keep forgetting thrill, that *I* was homeless once. First place I went to was the Catholic Church. While I didn't need any medical assistance, I knew where I could go to get it if I DID need it-- even if I was broke. It's not as if the Catholic Church has resources on EVERY street corner. They're not McDonald's.

The RCC works in concert with other organizations. It's not as if each parish church has some kind of 'stockpile' of cash available to help those who need help...especially if you're fortunate enough to wander into a church at 9 p.m. Not all churches are open 24/7, for good reason.

But if they can help, they do.

Quote:
Oh PLU EEEZE!
Oh PLU EEEZE WHAT? Don't you KNOW what "indigent" and "medical care" means?

Do you not know that what ONE person considers to be "medical care", another deems that a certain procedure may not be "medically necessary"?

Medical "care" could mean getting a kidney transplant or a vasectomy.

Quote:
What about cancer? Face it, Mink: the RCC simply doesn't want to spend that kind of money on the poor.
Show me the data on this...

Quote:
Face it, Mink: the RCC simply doesn't want to spend that kind of money on the poor.
Again, show me the statistics.

Quote:
Are you kidding?????? I'd give my right arm just to find a single historian in the 1st century not associated with Christianity who just mentions the name, "Jesus" let alone he was a hoax! Face it, Mink. There's enough white-wash in your post to paint the entire Titanic white.
That's your opinion. Even your atheist 'buddy', Bart Ehrman doesn't agree with you...

Old 02-27-2023, 02:37 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
???

How do you interpret the scene with Mary Magdalene anointing Jesus with expensive perfume, then? Judas did raise the objection that the perfume could have been sold and the money given to the poor, but Jesus shut him down.

In your opinion, was Judas right here and Jesus wrong?
I found myself thinking about this post while I was out driving.

So let's see...Jesus was god and could do miraculous healings, but he wouldn't get to his own heaven unless a prostitute (according to Pope Gregory) poured expensive perfume on him.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Not. Even. Close. It's your misunderstanding that's the problem.
Apologist for the Catholic church

Old 02-27-2023, 02:39 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

So let's see...Jesus was god and could do miraculous healings, but he wouldn't get to his own heaven unless a prostitute (according to Pope Gregory) poured expensive perfume on him.
Jesus prophesied about His burial. He didn't say anything about heaven... or maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Old 02-27-2023, 02:42 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:

Literally no.

That's what you got out of that passage??

It was a kindness. He accepted the kindness. In lieu of selling the bottle of oil and giving the money to the poor. Giving does not have to mean never receiving, Jesus was saying. And he was also taking a jab at the hypocrisy. The "gotcha" in the rebuke he received.

Kind of like the "gotcha" attempts here with "oh yeah? So, the RCC gives literally billions. It could give MORE billions! That means it's all bull."

Jesus was saying: No. Taking back does not mean it's all bull. And "gotchas" only work to try to win arguments. In practice, they mean nothing except that someone has ill will and ill intent.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Jesus prophesied about His burial. He didn't say anything about heaven... or maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
"In 591 A.D., Pope Gregory the Great solidified this misunderstanding in a sermon: “She whom Luke calls the sinful woman, whom John calls Mary [of Bethany], we believe to be the Mary from whom seven devils were ejected according to Mark."

So Jesus was not going to heaven? Was he going to hell?

Old 02-27-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Literally no.

That's what you got out of that passage??

It was a kindness. He accepted the kindness. In lieu of selling the bottle of oil and giving the money to the poor. Giving does not have to mean never receiving, Jesus was saying. And he was also taking a jab at the hypocrisy. The "gotcha" in the rebuke he received.

Kind of like the "gotcha" attempts here with "oh yeah? So, the RCC gives literally billions. It could give MORE billions! That means it's all bull."

Jesus was saying: No. Taking back does not mean it's all bull. And "gotchas" only work to try to win arguments. In practice, they mean nothing except that someone has ill will and ill intent.
Then there seems to be little point to that bible story.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:48 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
"In 591 A.D., Pope Gregory the Great solidified this misunderstanding in a sermon: “She whom Luke calls the sinful woman, whom John calls Mary [of Bethany], we believe to be the Mary from whom seven devils were ejected according to Mark."

So Jesus was not going to heaven? Was he going to hell?
Jesus knew He was going to die. The perfume was to anoint His body for burial. The perfume has nothing to do with heaven or hell.

When Jesus died, He descended into hell, freed the captives, and carried them to heaven - so the answer is both.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:18 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Jesus knew He was going to die. The perfume was to anoint His body for burial. The perfume has nothing to do with heaven or hell.

When Jesus died, He descended into hell, freed the captives, and carried them to heaven - so the answer is both.

Incredible!

Old 02-27-2023, 04:35 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Then there seems to be little point to that bible story.
I just told you the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality