Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,815 times

Advertisements

Who decides what is moral?

Is morality absolute or is it an ever-changing thing?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I personally believe that humans are essentially moral beings with or with-out religion.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Empathy is essential to people who wish to be moral (or good), because if people are unable to love themselves they are also unable to love others.
I believe that empathy has to be taught but that it is not hard to teach, because all a parent has to do to teach her child empathy is to genuinely love them.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I personally believe that humans are essentially moral beings with or with-out religion.
Click here for a statistical rebuttal:

After reviewing the above, do you still believe that humans are "moral" people?

Click here for more evidence:

Human history is FILLED with death, rape, violence, pain, suffering, slavery, injustice, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 AM

43 posts, read 38,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Human history is FILLED with death, rape, violence, pain, suffering, slavery, injustice, etc.
And most of it was due to religion..

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ranj_Ramak
Quote:
And most of it was due to religion..
True, but religion is not all bad. Some good things came out of it.
So I guess religion is just a tool and it depends on the user whether religion is a good or a bad thing.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
moral relativist here

Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 AM

57 posts, read 88,047 times
Morality is not an absolute, it is subjective (based on bias)...example...in China, Chinese peasants have been known to 'fatten up' dogs in their backyard so they can eat them, but, in America, we would never do that because we consider that immoral (but if food becomes scarce in hard times, such as an extreme food/economic crisis/collapse), who knows???, some people just might.

"Morality" is man's CHOSEN standards of 'goodness' ("ever changing"), but God's standard of "GOOD" is absolute (which is why He says that "NO ONE is GOOD but God alone". We are to practice "goodNESS" (make the EFFORT to be good), but we can't actually BE good/perfect like God).

"No one is good..." (Mark 10:18)

Our character is to be as a "lover of goodness" (Titus 1:8), it's also a fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:22).

In order to be Godly/holy, we are to live according to absolutes (God's way).

Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 AM

The thing is that in India right now there are more boys than girls because the parents of the girls have to pay the dowry every time they get married, so mothers often have an abortion whenever they find out that their child is a girl. I dunno if this custom is purely economical or just social (and thus also religious). In some villages the girls are not being fed properly, nor do they receive an education.
It already is a fact that in some Indian villages no girls have been born at all.
I guess the Indians don’t do long-term planning?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 AM

57 posts, read 88,047 times
Default Parents without conscience can't be moral (where's the love?).

I have read about the female baby "GENOCIDE" that is happening in India. The whole civilized world considers it "genocide" (UNICEF and human rights groups, even the Indian government has outlawed the killing of the female babies), but the people in India do it anyway.

Whether any individual parent actually considers it "MORAL" is a mystery to me, but the explanation I read is based on economics.

That's an example of how lifestyles/economics determine what is CALLED "morality". It's very subjective/biased for local 'convenience'.

So, "moral" is what man has decided what the rules of should be for "goodness", but God wants us to have a well intact CONSCIENCE (Godly principles/ethics).

Adam and Eve ate of the tree of conscience, and we are to learn how to use that knowledge properly (Hebrews 5:14) with "the sword of the spirit" (Ephesians 6:17) so that we can have our conscience purified also (Hebrews 9:14).

All verses are from the RSV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality