Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 08:29 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,236,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, I know the story. Her pic of Jesus is just a more hip, sexy version of the guy below who is what Swartzenegger would call a girlie-man. In other words the girl didn't see squat. She imagined it from hundreds of pics of Jesus she's seen all her life:
You mean her entire 8-year-old life, Thrill???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 09:00 AM

18,256 posts, read 16,968,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You mean her entire 8-year-old life, Thrill???

Yes, I mean her entire 8-year life, Mystic. Kids are drowned in pics of Jesus from the time they crawl out of the crib. Probably in the crib too. "Look, Sally, this is a picture of your savior. His name is Jesus Christ and he loves you more than me and Daddy put together. If you accept him as your Lord and savior he will save you from very painful burning in fire in hell for all eternity. What's that? You've never felt burning pain before? Here, let me show you how painful hell is with this burning match. (PSST!!) "OWWWWWW!" (cries) "See, Sally? Burning in hell is a million times worse than that piddly little pain. Please don't go to hell, darling. Accept Jesus as your Lord and savior and he will save you from that. Now repeat after me: Jesus, I accept you as......"

public domain

Old 11-11-2022, 09:10 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Yes, I mean her entire 8-year life, Mystic. Kids are drowned in pics of Jesus from the time they crawl out of the crib. Probably in the crib too. "Look, Sally, this is a picture of your savior. His name is Jesus Christ and he loves you more than me and Daddy put together. If you accept him as your Lord and savior he will save you from very painful burning in fire in hell for all eternity. What's that? You've never felt burning pain before? Here, let me show you how painful hell is with this burning match. (PSST!!) "OWWWWWW!" (cries) "See, Sally? Burning in hell is a million times worse than that piddly little pain. Please don't go to hell, darling. Accept Jesus as your Lord and savior and he will save you from that. Now repeat after me: Jesus, I accept you as......"
public domain
If that narrative is at all representative of your parents and your childhood, that would go a long way in explaining your animus and extreme abreaction to Christianity.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If that narrative is at all representative of your parents and your childhood, that would go a long way in explaining your animus and extreme abreaction to Christianity.

Nahh, my parents were ambivalent to God but I had religious grandparents who took me to 6:30 mass every morning. That was torture enough. But I've heard of parents who inflict such pain on their children as you wouldn't believe in an attempt to goad them into accepting Jesus. Look at Andrea Yates:

The day after Andrea Yates drowned her five children, she told doctors that she did it to save them from going to hell. Her defense attorney and psychiatrist said Yates got the idea from the [hellfire and brimstone preacher] Woroniecki.

Michael Woroniecki preaches that everyone is doomed to Hell unless they find Jesus, and that salvation is not possible through organized religion. One theory is that this message combined with cramped living and lots of young children sent Mrs. Yates over the edge. "Some of Andrea's delusions had their roots in some of the things that were said by these [Christian] people," Rusty Yates said.

'Nothing I'd change'

Preacher who knew the Yates family stands by his message

https://culteducation.com/group/1234...id-change.html

We've seen it several times in Texas lately - women killing their kids in the name of religion.

Last year in Smith County, Deanna Laney said God told her to beat her kids to death. Before that, there was Andrea Yates, who said Satan told her to drown her kids. Then, just recently, a Texas woman cut her baby's arms off, saying she wanted to give her children to God.

https://www.ktre.com/story/2699050/i...heir-children/

You call these extreme cases and not the norm and you'd be right, Mystic. But you don't see the tens of thousands of parents who beat their children and abuse them in an attempt to get them to be obedient to Jesus.

Christianity all around is just bad news--BAD NEWS. It creates extremism, it divides families

“If you come to me but will not leave your family, you cannot be my follower. You must love me more than your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters—even more than your own life! Whoever will not carry the cross that is given to them when they follow me cannot be my follower. Luke 14:25-27

The above verse is an ugly repulsive example of the bilge that comes out of the Bible, and it is one of the hallmarks of cults--an order to forsake your loved ones if your leader demands it. But that's only one of hundreds of ugly repulsive messages that come out of the Bible. The Bible is probably the most destructive book ever written, and billions of followers adhere to at least part of its ugly messaging.

Just that verse above is reason enough to kick a Bible to the gutter and wash it down the city drain, because it sets the tone for what the entire Bible is all about--bloodshed, genocide, sexual deviation, homophobia--among other perversions against humanity.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,065,874 times
Still waiting.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Still waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmZlckcwMY

Old 11-11-2022, 11:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,065,874 times
Quote:
No. I'm not going to watch a 45 minute youtube video full of the same nonsensical arguments. You claimed to have "proof", so prove it. At this point, you're showing your true colors. You make wild, crazy, unsubstantiated claims and fail to back them up. And once again, you're doing it.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:27 AM

11,156 posts, read 7,221,368 times
Over a month at it, and 70 pages into this goof-quest, and the OP still hasn't proven squat. That's the most hilarious aspect here.

You could be obsessed with the concept that hamsters can fly, and repeat that to yourself every day till you are convinced of that, but arguing for that doesn't prove anything either.

The restless and endless obsession of the OP is the only message proven here. And for that, this sure is a chuckle-a-thon!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-11-2022 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-11-2022, 11:42 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Over a month at it, and 70 pages into this goof-quest, and the OP still hasn't proven squat. That's the most hilarious aspect here.

You could be obsessed with the concept that hamsters can fly, and repeat that to yourself every day till you are convinced of that, but arguing for that doesn't prove anything either.

The restless and endless obsession of the OP is the only message proven here. And for that, this sure is a chuckle-a-thon!
I agree. For some of it, perhaps even much of it, he may be right. But that was not what was promised.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. For some of it, perhaps even much of it, he may be right. But that was not what was promised.

Well, glad I could get that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality