Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 12:51 PM

13,947 posts, read 8,261,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Many biblical scholars view the discussion of historicity as secondary, given that gospels were primarily written as theological documents rather than historical accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...of_the_Gospels

Biblical authorities say the gospels were theological documents, not historical ones. Do you dispute that?
LOL. Yes, I would dispute that. What a joke. A purely ideologically-driven assertion.

From your wiki link:

Among scholars, a growing majority considers the Gospels to be in the genre of Ancient Greco-Roman biographies, the same genre as Plutarch's Life of Alexander and Life of Caesar. Typically, ancient biographies written shortly after the death of the subject include substantial history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 02:08 PM

51,630 posts, read 24,952,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Right. I guess I should think through this religious stuff because it's not like I do precisely that every single day

(that was sarcasm)
What you don't seem to think through is that just because you believe something doesn't make it correct. Your attitude appears to be that the christian viewpoint is the only possible correct viewpoint PERIOD. Well guess what, that definitive kind of thinking is ego talking. Buddhists think differently. Muslims think differently. Hindus think differently. Followers of Confucianism think differently. Taoists. Sikhs. Various Asian "folk religions". Jains. And many others...including groups christian groups thank think far differently than your brand of christianity. And you might want to remember that there are many Protestants who hold catholicism in great disdain.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What you don't seem to think through is that just because you believe something doesn't make it correct. Your attitude appears to be that the christian viewpoint is the only possible correct viewpoint PERIOD. Well guess what, that definitive kind of thinking is ego talking. Buddhists think differently. Muslims think differently. Hindus think differently. Followers of Confucianism think differently. Taoists. Sikhs. Various Asian "folk religions". Jains. And many others...including groups christian groups thank think far differently than your brand of chritianity.
It's true that Ultimate Reality does not conform itself to my beliefs. To even attribute that type of thinking to me after all the discussions we've had is actually quite insulting. Do you even read what I post?

If I believed Mohammed to be God's prophet, then I would follow him. If I believed Joseph Smith to be God's prophet, then I would follow him.

However, what I believe is that Jesus Christ is God Incarnate. He was born of a Virgin, died on the cross, and rose again. He established a society on earth that today we call the Holy Catholic Church, in Communion with the Pope in Rome, through which all the graces of salvation are dispensed to the world, and outside of which there is no salvation.

These articles of Faith have been revealed by God. They can be known, and it is incumbent upon every man to assent to them for the salvation of his soul.

If my assertions are wrong, then challenge my claims. However, I will not pretend that any other belief system can possibly live up to the magnificence, credibility, reliability, truthfulness, and efficacy for personal holiness as the Holy Catholic Faith.

It is the world's best religion and the most credible one. Prove to me otherwise.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It's true that Ultimate Reality does not conform itself to my beliefs. To even attribute that type of thinking to me after all the discussions we've had is actually quite insulting. Do you even read what I post?

If I believed Mohammed to be God's prophet, then I would follow him. If I believed Joseph Smith to be God's prophet, then I would follow him.

However, what I believe is that Jesus Christ is God Incarnate. He was born of a Virgin, died on the cross, and rose again. He established a society on earth that today we call the Holy Catholic Church, in Communion with the Pope in Rome, through which all the graces of salvation are dispensed to the world, and outside of which there is no salvation.

These articles of Faith have been revealed by God. They can be known, and it is incumbent upon every man to assent to them for the salvation of his soul.

If my assertions are wrong, then challenge my claims. However, I will not pretend that any other belief system can possibly live up to the magnificence, credibility, reliability, truthfulness, and efficacy for personal holiness as the Holy Catholic Faith.

It is the world's best religion and the most credible one. Prove to me otherwise.
And that's another thing you don't get. I have no desire to get you to stop being a catholic. What I would like you to be is a little more understanding of people who think differently.

For that large part of my life that I was a catholic, I never thought everyone should be catholic and think like I did.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:33 PM

64,177 posts, read 40,676,973 times
Quote:

You have come to this belief without any REAL proof so what proof do you think there is that would change your mind??? Your need to depend on some external authority to know God is not a blessing. It is a limitation that approximates a curse, IMO.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
And that's another thing you don't get. I have no desire to get you to stop being a catholic. What I would like you to be is a little more understanding of people who think differently.
Who says I'm not understanding? For the majority of my life, I was not a Catholic. I understand why people are not Catholic.

Quote:
For that large part of my life that I was a catholic, I never thought everyone should be catholic and think like I did.
I would surmise that's because you failed to fully reject the poisons of relativism and philosophical naturalism.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have come to this belief without any REAL proof so what proof do you think there is that would change your mind??? Your need to depend on some external authority to know God is not a blessing. It is a limitation that approximates a curse, IMO.
I just need a better argument. Simple as.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Who says I'm not understanding? For the majority of my life, I was not a Catholic. I understand why people are not Catholic.

I would surmise that's because you failed to fully reject the poisons of relativism and philosophical naturalism.
Who says? I say...based on your posts.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:03 PM

64,177 posts, read 40,676,973 times
Quote:
I am at a loss to understand where or how you acquired this faulty view that relativism and philosophical naturalism are poisonous. They are simply non-theistic views of existence grounded in our experience of this physical world. Given the automatic conditioning of physical existence, it seems unavoidable without some experiential basis to question it.

What seems utterly irrational and unnatural to me is the concept of a wrathful and vengeful Creator to whom we are disobedient "filthy rags" because of His Supreme Holiness (whatever that really is in your mind).

Old 10-21-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Who says? I say...based on your posts.
You are not a Catholic because you don't believe Jesus rose from the dead, and the inconsistency and moral degeneracy of many of its leaders scandalizes you.

Now what don't I understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality