Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 09:38 AM

640 posts, read 456,275 times

Advertisements

OK, here is the scoop: Jews are related both by genealogy and religion, and both are important. The word "race" is not appropriate here, as there are a number of human races in the world, and they do not include the Jews.

The original Jewish forefathers were not of any particular "race" -- they were different from the other people of the land simply because they believed in a single God.

Later, however, Jews have become essentially a multi-million-strong extended family, as intermarriage with other tribes was forbidden. As centuries passed, the genealogical family has been greatly diluted by many converts on one hand and intermarriage and assimilation on the other. This is why there are black Jews, Asian-looking Jews, etc. You could be a convert without a trace of Jewish blood but still be considered Jewish.

The question of who is a Jew, and whether a person who is 1/2 or 1/4 Jewish can be considered a Jew for religious purposes, is a separate issue from OP's question. Typically, the person's mother must have been Jewish, or the person undergo a specified conversion procedure.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 9,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You may have read in the news about the Whoopi Goldberg suspension because she said Jewish is not a race.

I don't care about Whoopi. She's not my question.

Is Jewish a race?

Maybe we have some posters who are Jewish who could explain this to me.
Didn't you read the OT? Some parts you just can't seem to every really forget: DNA puts them as Arabs, if I remember correctly. But biblical concept was that if they picked up a lost traveler, destitute person, a good friend, red hair, blond of blue, or married one; they could become one of them...converted to Jewish. Sammy Davis was Jewish. Customs made them Jewish. David was a ruddy reddish...Redd? fleshy...

Now, their is a "Religion of Jews," I think Jesus spoke about them, that are willing to kill you...well, that's history. And I can almost guarantee you that not one single one of them is a bastard...of course #9 didn't mean much to them, and would of killed Paul, and his Christ again, if they could have gotten their hands on him.

But no, you could marry into and become Jewish Bible-wise; but one of those with all kind of laws because they surely could not keep 10 little comma..., later reduced to one commandment...you didn't find much of that going on at all in that book - "Stiff-necked people, the whole of Israel, Jewish religion and all...They would have none of God; after that Israel broke apart, religion, Jews, tribes and all, made war with each other

In fact, after Solomon died, the northern tribes had two contenders...David's army, called "The arm of God," broke away when they saw taxes had become grievously burdensome...and when Rebo?...Jo? The new king of his daddy's kingdom...sent his tax collector, to collect taxes from the arm of God, then knocked him in the head with a rock and left him to die. The the new king rushed to load the guy in his chariot, and got his friend away; but he died before he made it back...I think.

They rebelled Solomon's taxing system in which "666 Talents of gold" that just auto came to the King each year, and still taxing them to the bone...yet God had warned them and told them not to come calling on him to help when the king started taking everything mandating beyond need or reason. Who cared for all those bloody sacrifices anyhow? Not God. Then came the golden rule, which I would like to send a shout out to: Freedom of speech on a short leash? I figured I'd be banned or penalized...what? Some silly girl was offended? HELLO, a little too deep for her...too stirring, to big a jolt or from a higher power?

Listen for a cloudburst...123...1023 radio' near sweetwaterdotcom...sounds something like this...o but you can't here it here, or can you? -Guys- I can't reply to thread? The american race? Too political?

okay, I checked in to stand firm. loosing my blanks here, Whoopi-ipoohW

I don't think I belong here.

-don't bleed for me-

--0utta here and I guess--and no help needed--thanks if you let me post this much nonsense today, surely I must be out of my mind--BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!nobody came. I Submit.

Last edited by aural88; 02-02-2022 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: oh, oh, ...123...1023...outta here...

Old 02-02-2022, 10:32 AM

10,557 posts, read 6,203,537 times
The problem is, the Nazi's thought Jews were a race of people, so in that sense, yes the holocaust of course was about race.

Except we've come along way since then.

Watson and Crick worked out the structure of DNA around 1961. In 2003 the Human Genome project was completed.
Only then did we really understand people's origins and migration.
You can now trace your origins back hundreds of thousands of years. Many of us are a mix of all kinds of people.
If you want to go far enough back, from about 1.8 millions years ago, most Europeans had their origins in Africa and have been migrating ever since.
We are all part of the HUMAN race.

I feel bad for Whoopi. You literally cannot say anything these days without causing offense and I'm very sure that what she said was not how people have taken it.

IF DNA was understood in 1939, Hilter would have found that he shared DNA with all other Europeans.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 9,172 times
The Human Rat Race?

Old 02-02-2022, 11:40 AM

51,210 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The problem is, the Nazi's thought Jews were a race of people, so in that sense, yes the holocaust of course was about race.

Except we've come along way since then.

Watson and Crick worked out the structure of DNA around 1961. In 2003 the Human Genome project was completed.
Only then did we really understand people's origins and migration.
You can now trace your origins back hundreds of thousands of years. Many of us are a mix of all kinds of people.
If you want to go far enough back, from about 1.8 millions years ago, most Europeans had their origins in Africa and have been migrating ever since.
We are all part of the HUMAN race.

I feel bad for Whoopi. You literally cannot say anything these days without causing offense and I'm very sure that what she said was not how people have taken it.

IF DNA was understood in 1939, Hilter would have found that he shared DNA with all other Europeans.
I agree with you about recent advances in genetic profiles. I did the one version and most of the results were not surprising, but a few things popped up that did surprise me.

So I guess the conclusion I'm coming to here is that the Holocaust was about race in terms of the way Hitler and his minions looked at it, even though it was not really an accurate way to look at it

I'm pretty neutral on Whoopi. I rarely watch the show...maybe a few segments from time to time on You Tube. Do I feel sorry for her? Well, she's worth $60 million and she's only suspended for 2 weeks. I guess she'll weather the storm. But I do agree that it's getting more and more difficult to have a serious conversation without getting stepped on.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,104,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I do not think so. Jews can be Asian, black or of any race as far as I know.

I am ethnically Jewish and Causians. But there are posters than know much more knowlwdgable about Jewish culture and history
Yes. They are a genetically distinct group of people. But Judaism is a religion.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. They are a genetically distinct group of people. But Judaism is a religion.
Are you claiming that i am more genetically similiar to the Jews from North Africa then I am to the nonJews of Eastern Europe?

Old 02-02-2022, 02:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,104,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you claiming that i am more genetically similiar to the Jews from North Africa then I am to the nonJews of Eastern Europe?
From here:
https://live-jweekly.alleydev.com/20...ge-old-debate/

"That’s because there are genetic markers distinct to the Eastern European Jewish population, partly due to a population “founder effect,” a way of saying that they descend from a small number of ancestors. Also, Jews in Europe tended to marry other Jews, making them endogamous."

The point is that for thousands of years, the Jews were an isolated group. God commanded them not to intermarry with other nations. They formed a distinct genetic group. It's because of this that I say it. They were a distinct people, isolated from other nations.

Now...how much that distinguishes you, personally? I have no clue.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:41 PM

10,557 posts, read 6,203,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you about recent advances in genetic profiles. I did the one version and most of the results were not surprising, but a few things popped up that did surprise me.

So I guess the conclusion I'm coming to here is that the Holocaust was about race in terms of the way Hitler and his minions looked at it, even though it was not really an accurate way to look at it

I'm pretty neutral on Whoopi. I rarely watch the show...maybe a few segments from time to time on You Tube. Do I feel sorry for her? Well, she's worth $60 million and she's only suspended for 2 weeks. I guess she'll weather the storm. But I do agree that it's getting more and more difficult to have a serious conversation without getting stepped on.
I know. The holocaust is an extremely sensitive subject obviously. You don't have to be Jewish to be sickened by the abject horror of it all. We all feel it. But let's be grown ups and allow discussion of it at least.
We can't talk about anything without someone getting cancelled.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:45 PM

51,210 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I know. The holocaust is an extremely sensitive subject obviously. You don't have to be Jewish to be sickened by the abject horror of it all. We all feel it. But let's be grown ups and allow discussion of it at least.
We can't talk about anything without someone getting cancelled.
I remember well the challenge for our school (in the DC suburbs) when the Holocaust Museum first opened and we finally took a field trip there. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality