Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
On another topic, On October 22 2012 Russell Means crossed over. He was a great man and should be remembered.
I agree. I met/spoke with him once and will never forget it; the embodiment of the true warrior. Another treasured possession is an autographed copy of his book.

Many Nations believe that one should never speak the names of those who have crossed over. The fear is that, on hearing their names, they may turn back toward this world and, in so doing, lose their way. [Not at all sure how this applies to the written word...]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I agree. I met/spoke with him once and will never forget it; the embodiment of the true warrior. Another treasured possession is an autographed copy of his book.

Many Nations believe that one should never speak the names of those who have crossed over. The fear is that, on hearing their names, they may turn back toward this world and, in so doing, lose their way. [Not at all sure how this applies to the written word...]
When he was at his home at Porcupine SD on the Pine ridge Rez, his door was always open to visitors. He used to roast, grind and blend his own coffee beans. He called it "Means Beans"

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
I have some catching up to do in this thread. School and now a part-time job at a vet clinic have kept me busy most of the summer. I am taking US History, Government, and American Literature. I've never, ever had Government or US History beyond the Civil War in high school. They didn't offer more modern history and Government was only for the honors students (which they didn't consider me one because I bombed a placement test in Jr. High). So now I'm learning about how Native Americans were treated in the 19th century - YIKES!!! My heart aches for them.

While doing some genealogical digging this summer, I discovered my 6th-great-grandmother is Cherokee - her name was listed as Licutiche, born about 1739 in North Carolina. I wish I could get more information about her other than birth and death years and who she married. I had always heard through family folklore that we had Cherokee ancestors on my Mom's side. I had come to discount it since it seems everyone has Cherokee ancestors - aren't all of our great + grandmothers Cherokee "princesses"? Why is it that anyone claiming Native American ancestry is almost ALWAYS Cherokee and why are they all a Cherokee "princess"?

I hope you all are enjoying your weekend. I need to make it a point to visit the Circle more often. I always feel so much more at peace when I do.
Blessings
pnc

Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I have some catching up to do in this thread. School and now a part-time job at a vet clinic have kept me busy most of the summer. I am taking US History, Government, and American Literature. I've never, ever had Government or US History beyond the Civil War in high school. They didn't offer more modern history and Government was only for the honors students (which they didn't consider me one because I bombed a placement test in Jr. High). So now I'm learning about how Native Americans were treated in the 19th century - YIKES!!! My heart aches for them.

While doing some genealogical digging this summer, I discovered my 6th-great-grandmother is Cherokee - her name was listed as Licutiche, born about 1739 in North Carolina. I wish I could get more information about her other than birth and death years and who she married. I had always heard through family folklore that we had Cherokee ancestors on my Mom's side. I had come to discount it since it seems everyone has Cherokee ancestors - aren't all of our great + grandmothers Cherokee "princesses"? Why is it that anyone claiming Native American ancestry is almost ALWAYS Cherokee and why are they all a Cherokee "princess"?

I hope you all are enjoying your weekend. I need to make it a point to visit the Circle more often. I always feel so much more at peace when I do.
Blessings
pnc
[B] pnc66,[/b]Here is an interesting historical subject for you.where did the basis for our constitutional government come from? you might be surprised at the kind of influence that The Constitution of the Iroquois Confederacy had on The Constitution of the United States. Might be worth looking that information up...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Another interesting fact not taught in most public school history. Is that the Cherokee nation was very involved in the early Government. The Cherokee adapted well to modernization.
CHEROKEE

Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Why is it that anyone claiming Native American ancestry is almost ALWAYS Cherokee and why are they all a Cherokee "princess"?
I have no idea. I have a smidge of Wyandot. The usual reaction is, "Who?"

Welcome back pnc66.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:42 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:

Blessings
pnc
In my part of the world I am more likely to date someone who has Cree, Blackfoot or Beaver in them, with the odd Sioux or Dene 'Ta thrown in. No princesses involved.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
In my part of the world I am more likely to date someone who has Cree, Blackfoot or Beaver in them, with the odd Sioux or Dene 'Ta thrown in. No princesses involved.
What no Crow.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
What no Crow.
How did I forget that!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
Why is it that anyone claiming Native American ancestry is almost ALWAYS Cherokee
Ten Largest American Indian Tribes
Name .........Population
Navajo........308,013
Cherokee.....285,476
Sioux..........131,048
Chippewa....115,859
Choctaw.......88,913
Apache........64,869
Pueblo.........59,337
Iroquois.......48,365
Creek..........44,085
Blackfeet.....23,583

Ten Largest American Indian Tribes, 2010 | Infoplease.com

Most Navajo seem to be on the reservations or in California, although I had a waitress on Cape Cod that was Navajo. Cherokee is the second most populous nation and that is just those people who identify themselves as Cherokee. As it appears the Cherokee intermarried with Europeans from the time of the Vikings (some evidence exists that indicate a relationship to one of tribes of Israel) I would put the number of people with genuine Cherokee heritage to be double or triple the census statistics. Why princesses? For the same reason that Frenchmen try to be a descendant of Napoleon, Italians from Caesar, and Scots from William Wallace.........its just more romantic, and if you are going to make stuff up might as well make it royal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality