Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Advertisements

"What you do to the land, you do to yourself." - Attributed to Sitting Bull

"When we walk upon Mother Earth, we always plant our feet carefully because we know the faces of our future generations are looking up at us from beneath the ground. We never forget them." Oren Lyons, Onondaga Nation

"Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents, It was loaned to you by your children. - Indian Proverb

"A hypocrite is the kind of politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump and make a speech for conservation." Adlai E. Stevenson

"When the Earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear, when that happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them." Chief Seattle

"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." Qwatsinas, Nuxalk Nation

"When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us." ~ Arapaho Proverb

"Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find money cannot be eaten." ~ Cree Prophecy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
Happy Birthday all you cancer babies! I have to leave the internet now for awhile, my landlord has descriminated me out because the railroad needs my place for 3 months temporary work and they will pay more than me, so I have to move away and hope to keep on writing when I can. I do love you all! Thanks for helping me through some rough stuff, you restore my faith in humanity! Blessings to you.
Miss Blue, I would love to read your writings, so if you like, you can contact me and I will get back to you soon. I will have the net until monday. I want to cry, cause I feel I have to leave here, but I will tuck this circle in my pocket and take you all with me everywhere I go.
I posted in the History forum today, I hope you will go read that one, I was right while researching my family and what happened to them and all the folks from VA,NC,SC,GA and the Confederates, God Bless those people.
Here are a couple more of my poems;

A Dun A Castle
Karen M
03/25/09

A Dun a castle
Hill fort by the sea
Under a chamber
A center for key

When evil comes walking
We wait in the bay
Tis we they be stalking
]They’re wanting to stay

Be one with the relic
Be true to the heart
Rise one be it quick
Rise true not apart

On field learn to be men
Build stronghold the wall
All men be for one Dun
One Dun be for all

3/5/2009
Karen M
^*^
A moment of your presence

Giving light and life to those who see only darkness
Is the greatest gift a soul can give
To receive it gracefully
Is equally difficult

Our paths have crossed in times before
We cannot say we do not care
Your kind heart touches mine
I smile inside

I see you for the first time
I know in my bones I was with you
Far along another shore
I long for a moment of your presence

A tale D’Or
Karen M
3/4/09

Come gather young ladd
To sit by your dad
I’ll tell you a tale of de Or

There came a great battle
We fell from the saddle
And scattered to distant shore

We put pain behind us
Let memories remind us
That life is still good when you’re poor

For we are still living
Our love we are giving
In God’s grace forever more

Son, carry our honor
Earn nothing but Valor
Show patience as never before

For one day will come
The hunger be done
And we’ll gather again at D’Or

YOURS AYE,
Karen

Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
I believe in the Great Spirit of Eternal Love. Even when I am by myself, I never feel alone.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I believe in the Great Spirit of Eternal Love. Even when I am by myself, I never feel alone.

Welcome Peggy Anne to the sacred circle, I see you are a native Marylander from a part of Maryland that could either be Prince George's County or Howard County.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
a beautiful sunday morning/afternoon to everyone here!
it's an unusually cool and breezy summer day, and i am watching the clouds........
this is what i want to share with+in the sacred circle, first and foremost..
getting back to life before knowledge became power and time converted to money!
trusting people to each being useful in their own ways.

YouTube - MUSIC OF THE MIDDLE AGES music by Hildegard von Bingen

Last edited by effie g-tad; 07-19-2009 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Beautiful music, effie g-tad. Ethnomusicology has always been a favorite of mine.

When I sit in the abbey, and the pipe organ starts to play, it brings peacefulness with it, as do the gregorian chants.

Sorry to hear of you losing your flat, Orions, the almighty dollar speaks loudly.

I enjoy perusing the thread titles of the religion forum as I make my way to the sacred circle. Makes me laugh or shake my head in amazement, and reminds me of going through distinct neighborhoods of a city.

Once here, I am reminded how close I am to kindred spirits who seek the balance of harmony that transcends organized religious debates. And for that I am eternally thankful.

I am reminded of a letter I found from an Indian agent from the year 1890. In this letter to Washington DC, he wrote that in the year 1890 only 10 Kiowa families lived in homes. The rest still preferred to camp out as they did in the old days.

Aisima *Tipi Track Woman, Kiowa 1893

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/Aisima-Tipi-Track-Woman-Kiowa-1893.jpg (broken link)

Her dress is decorated with Elk teeth ivory. I think it is difficult to imagine just how much change was heaped on the Native People in such a short amount of time. New language thrust upon them, new religion, threat of military action if the Sun Dance was practiced, and the peyote religion being illegal until around 1910.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
Default whoowhooo........

^
kudos for this superbly crafted example of a multi- and intercultural history class.

in an earlier post, you said, "their pain is our pain.." i know with the necessary support system intact, one could write a phd and manifest the usual imaginations...

concurrently, however, exists the present "reality" too many of us have simply been denied to elaborate on. call that incompatible plausibilities, if you want.

thanks anyway. i do what i can.

ps. i have found myself rather unable to produce images, instead i could see them creating themselves.
sometimes they come as poems. often as music.

\!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_metaphor

Last edited by effie g-tad; 07-21-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM

I spent the last few days with friends and students in NE Oklahoma. Our friends own a small, cute, old fashioned "Route 66" historic motel. Small rooms, sea foam green tile in the bathroom, window unit AC.......not fancy, not expensive, but a throwback to an era when touring the country involved more than toll gates and highway patrol. Had dinner last night at Clanton's (since 1927) Cafe. Their chicken fried steak has made the pages of Gourmet magazine. Their calf fries were the focus of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the food network. Roadfood.com says it's worth driving to from anyplace. I had the calf fries with a blue cheese sauce created by Guy Fieri during his filming there.

One of our students joined us there. She is a 74 year old woman seeking to upgrade her license to Certified Residential Appraiser, and I am spending a lot of extra time with her to prepare her for her exam. She had the calf fries as well.

She gave me a talisman......a piece of bark from a lightning struck, living tree. I put it in my pouch that I wear on the job. I showed her the picture of Ptsum's circle......she immediately counted the stones.......did I mention she is United Keetoowah Band? Her primary clients are the Creek and Cherokee nations in Okmulgee and Tahlequah.

Tonight, I am sitting on the porch watching the red in the sky as the sun sets. I had a smoke of thanksgiving for a wonderful world.

It was a good day today and yesterday.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I spent the last few days with friends and students in NE Oklahoma. Our friends own a small, cute, old fashioned "Route 66" historic motel. Small rooms, sea foam green tile in the bathroom, window unit AC.......not fancy, not expensive, but a throwback to an era when touring the country involved more than toll gates and highway patrol. Had dinner last night at Clanton's (since 1927) Cafe. Their chicken fried steak has made the pages of Gourmet magazine. Their calf fries were the focus of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the food network. Roadfood.com says it's worth driving to from anyplace. I had the calf fries with a blue cheese sauce created by Guy Fieri during his filming there.

One of our students joined us there. She is a 74 year old woman seeking to upgrade her license to Certified Residential Appraiser, and I am spending a lot of extra time with her to prepare her for her exam. She had the calf fries as well.

She gave me a talisman......a piece of bark from a lightning struck, living tree. I put it in my pouch that I wear on the job. I showed her the picture of Ptsum's circle......she immediately counted the stones.......did I mention she is United Keetoowah Band? Her primary clients are the Creek and Cherokee nations in Okmulgee and Tahlequah.

Tonight, I am sitting on the porch watching the red in the sky as the sun sets. I had a smoke of thanksgiving for a wonderful world.

It was a good day today and yesterday.
And did it looked familiar to her..

Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Her husband of 28 years (she is a widow) was a shaman.........she said it looked like a good place.....that you did good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality