Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,548,688 times

Advertisements

I notice that a lot of people reference "the sinners prayer" , some claim it is all you need for salvation, and by repeating their sinners prayer, (which are s very elegantly thought out, rehearsed and rewritten) you are saved..I may be overlooking something, but I have never come across "The Sinners Prayer" in the bible..Seems that a person who has decided to accept Jesus as his savior should be able, and encouraged, to say his own prayer..God knows what this person is thinking, He has spoken to this person in spirit already and will lovingly accept him in his sincerity even though the person is lost for words..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,280,344 times
Amen, blue. God doesn't hear your words, He sees your heart. Sometimes there are no words to express the way we feel, but God knows.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Romans 8:26 ¶ Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
It actually states in this verse that we don't even know how to pray! It is the Spirit that gives us direction and speaks to our hearts. I believe we need to be convicted of sin, by the Holy Spirit, before we can repent... but at the same time, that is what He is doing to all people everywhere.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 PM

336 posts, read 845,808 times
God is in control !Jesus saves!The potter has a right to do what He wants, with His clay!
How many think they are saved for repeating man's words?Going through the motions which man teaches,ie., say certain words and you are saved and assured salvation. Some that pray the sinner's prayer will be saved ,though,not because of the prayer.
To get yourself saved is something churchs teach.This is man's way, not His..

Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,755,379 times
What is the sinner's prayer?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess I would say that I am a little perplexed here, big word for me I know. IMHO, i dont see whats so wrong with the prayer that Corking is posting, thats pretty much (where Im from anyway) the standard "sinners prayer". No it doesnt have to be that way, or anything close to it, but Ive been to alot of churches, diff denomination, and in ones that do offer a alter call , that is pretty much the one.
Of course the Christian walk is more than just a prayer, but I believe that one first has to ask Jesus into ones heart to be born again, kinda goes back to the "ABCs" of accepting Christ..
A-admit your a sinner
B-Believe that Jesus is who the Bible says he is and that he rose again
C-Confess that Jesus is Lord of your life
"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)
I believe after you have prayed and asked Jesus into your heart that you are saved, right then. If you died right then your going to heaven.
Of course I believe you should get baptized after accepting Christ and then IMHO try and find a church that will help you study the Bible and help you in your Christian walk.
Thats what I believe.

What is the sinner's prayer?
I don't think there is anything wrong with posting a prayer like that.. it's just are we really getting to the heart of the matter? I always cringe a little bit when I see something like "repeat these words after me" or "read this prayer" and "you'll be saved forever hallelujah!". It reminds me of an instance where I was at a rescue mission service and the pastor had an an altar call, and a few souls (yawningly) stood to their feet to answer the invitation.. as they would stand, he would tell them, "Your name is written in the book of life! Your name is written in the book of life!" I was like "whoa, not so fast! Are they really getting what they are needing?" I don't mean to say we should doubt other's decisions for the Lord, or judge their salvation, but the bottom line is that true repentance must take place to be saved. We should follow through with the people that stand, ask them how it's going. Often the "quick salvation of the masses" is given more priority than the need of one soul.

Excuse my random rambling!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,755,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with posting a prayer like that.. it's just are we really getting to the heart of the matter? I always cringe a little bit when I see something like "repeat these words after me" or "read this prayer" and "you'll be saved forever hallelujah!". It reminds me of an instance where I was at a rescue mission service and the pastor had an an altar call, and a few souls (yawningly) stood to their feet to answer the invitation.. as they would stand, he would tell them, "Your name is written in the book of life! Your name is written in the book of life!" I was like "whoa, not so fast! Are they really getting what they are needing?" I don't mean to say we should doubt other's decisions for the Lord, or judge their salvation, but the bottom line is that true repentance must take place to be saved. We should follow through with the people that stand, ask them how it's going. Often the "quick salvation of the masses" is given more priority than the need of one soul.

Excuse my random rambling!
just saying the prayer without meaning has no effect whatsoever, but if someone is seriously wanting to give their heart to Jesus, thats a different story..IMHO anyway.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,505,600 times
Quote:
just saying the prayer without meaning has no effect whatsoever, but if someone is seriously wanting to give their heart to Jesus, thats a different story..IMHO anyway.
I agree with this.

Personally, I have always viewed the "sinner's prayer" as helping people who may be nervous about praying for the first time. There are no wrong or right words, as long as they understand what they are doing and mean it with all of their heart.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I really think we're agreement on this...

I just wonder if the term "saying the sinner's prayer" is going to be mentioned in the "Pagan Christianity?" book as another "well-meaning trapping" that Christianity has adopted.. https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...istianity.html

I guess what I see is that a written-up sinner's prayer can put the focus on "saying and doing, on my terms" versus actually "repenting and believing, on God's terms". Is there room for the Spirit to work, or are we limiting Him by having a "standard" prayer which we must say? Are we as Christians using it as an easy way out when witnessing, because we don't really have time to spend time with someone and get down to the nitty-gritty?

But once again, I think we both know what the other is talking about... it must be genuine.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,562,913 times
I am having a hard time understanding all this. Surely you do not think that by merely saying that or any other prayer you will be saved!!!!! If that is the case you just as well throw away your bibles and all that the New Testament says that you must do to be saved!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality