Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and the omnimax creator of the universe was powerless to stop them changing it's 'unchanging' words?
In many cases God, IF he is exists, gives people a choice. Why doesn’t he stop some people from some certain things? Only he knows.
From a human’s point of view, we have a limited knowledge and intelligence to be able to know EVERYTHING. We will perhaps never know the answer to EVERYTHING.

However, the knowledge and intelligence that we have, even though limited, is sufficient enough to differentiate between what’s right and what’s wrong, and then make wise choices to live our lives.
If there is a God, then we will probably be responsible for our choices. That’s what matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
So anyone else go a similar crisis of faith? What did you do? Any advice?
I've always found Thomas Paine's approach to faith quite moving. He rejected institutional religion in favour of deism; and the arguments he employed to do so, at least in my eyes, made his faith so much more sincere and stronger than any that could be built on scripture, traditions, and customs.

If you are interested, I highly recommend his 'The Age of Reason'. At first glance it may appear to be quite heretical but he lays down a very moving defence of deism.

Quote:
We cannot serve God in the manner we serve those who cannot do without such service; and, therefore, the only idea we can have of serving God, is that of contributing to the happiness of the living creation that God has made.
Thomas Paine: Age of Reason

Old 06-28-2019, 08:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I've always found Thomas Paine's approach to faith quite moving. He rejected institutional religion in favour of deism; and the arguments he employed to do so, at least in my eyes, made his faith so much more sincere and stronger than any that could be built on scripture, traditions, and customs.

If you are interested, I highly recommend his 'The Age of Reason'. At first glance it may appear to be quite heretical but he lays down a very moving defence of deism.

Thomas Paine: Age of Reason
using clarity, logic, and reason have no place in our anti-god crusade to save people that don't know any better.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How about, "never intended it to be our guide or foundation for relationship?"
How about, 'Didn't bother to correct those that DID take it that way'?

Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
using clarity, logic, and reason have no place in our anti-god crusade to save people that don't know any better.
Sorry, AA, this is one of the reasons why I rarely respond to you - for the most part, I simply don't understand what it is that you are trying to say or the relevancy to the subject. The times that you do make a clear point, I happily acknowledge.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Sorry, AA, this is one of the reasons why I rarely respond to you - for the most part, I simply don't understand what it is that you are trying to say or the relevancy to the subject.
I'll send you your membership card for the club.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:36 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How about, "never intended it to be our guide or foundation for relationship?"
That would make sense since you don't actually get to interact with the god of the Bible and if somebody claims they do, then they are in a relationship with the god.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Well, Mr or Ms OP....ya go to the Catholic Mass for one thing...and it will not be
to be uplifted with inspiring Homilies...'Could happen", as Judy Tenuta says.
You go for the Transmutation of Jesus in the Eucharist.
But they hold that off till the very end!

And nope I never have lost any faith in God. I couldn't if I wanted to.
I never have placed my faith in organized religions...why would anyone do that?
(Oops, sorry to those that have...hope that's workin out for ya, really.)

If you want inspiration... and isn't that the best? You'll find some if you go from church to church.
I didn't, LOL. Most preachers have their heads up their blank.... it is quite shocking.
I leave BEAMING, tho, feeling SO good...because I'm not an idiot...and am so blessed to know God Himself and so have inspiration inside me....and have been given a meter inside my chest by
the Holy Spirit to know when something's just not the Truth.

Sound self-centered? It is.
My center is the Self...it guides me. (Otherwise called the Holy Spirit, Higher Self,
True Self, Inner Guidance, God-given wisdom...)

Old 06-28-2019, 12:51 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
1 - God did not change the Bible. People did.
Quote:
...and the omnimax creator of the universe was powerless to stop them changing it's 'unchanging' words?

Well it seems its powerless to enter a church when it wants to do what it needs to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The church were I go gives God freedom to do what He needs to do

Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Of course. Also, an omniscient being either does not know that language is fluid, or does know but cannot imagine a better method to convey it's wishes to it's created beings. Naturally, it will still judge them anyway as clearly this is all their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality