Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times

Advertisements

IE: Creationism vs Evolution:
Scientists in Norway and Sweden have discovered clusters of trees 8000 years old. This is older than some creationists believe the age of the earth could be...
Your thoughts?

Scientists discover 8,000-year-old trees - Science - MSNBC.com (broken link)

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 04-12-2008 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,415 times
In the face of all the evidence we have that the earth is older than that, YECs have stood firm. They will say the dating of the organism is flawed, or that it is made up by people, etc.

YEC belief is a form of cult. Only deprogramming would ever work to convince them otherwise.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
i believe what the scientists study and prove to be true. but i still believe in God. i kind of seperate them. science is the factual side and God is the spiritual. they live side by side in my head. but maybe that is because i dont take the Bible comepletly literally

Old 04-12-2008, 11:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
There's a yew tree in northern England that is 11,000 years old. It must have sprouted shortly after the ice sheet melted to expose ground. A bird must have brought the seed. There's also a creosote bush cluster that is 11,000 years old in the Mojave desert. So those trees are comparative youngsters.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
The cool bit is that a way to date them is by manual count of the tree rings which are formed yearly due to seasonal changes

Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I am an old world creation believer..I don't believe God created anything oled. I believe he allowed nature to evolve in its due time to become suitable for living things before he created mankind. I have no problem accepting the fact that the world is possibly billions of years old..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-12-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 03:27 PM

93 posts, read 182,602 times
If only there were more like you blue.

I believe, or atleast hope, you know that evolution does not challenge God. Rather it can be taken, if you so wish, to describe HOW his creation works.

What does challenge your beliefs and is also completely seperate from evolution is abiogenesis (in short, "pri-mordial soup" theory). Which, many Christians confuse and credit to evolution ignorantly.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
coosjoaquin wrote:
Quote:
The cool bit is that a way to date them is by manual count of the tree rings which are formed yearly due to seasonal changes
When confronted with a tree that had more yearly growth rings than the supposed age of the earth a young earth creationist would probably explain it away by saying that the climate changes caused multiple growth rings in one year or something along those lines. I wonder how they'd explain how it survived being underwater during Noah's flood though, now that would be a challenge.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda god View Post
If only there were more like you blue.

I believe, or atleast hope, you know that evolution does not challenge God. Rather it can be taken, if you so wish, to describe HOW his creation works.

What does challenge your beliefs and is also completely seperate from evolution is abiogenesis (in short, "pri-mordial soup" theory). Which, many Christians confuse and credit to evolution ignorantly.
IMO, evolution does not challenge my beliefs..Not my take on evolution..I believe man has evolved from his environment, intellect capacity, his need for survival, etc. I believe man evolved from man, not friom anything else..I believe the earth and everything in it is due to evolution from the laws of nature as created by God..There are interesting theories about modern animals evolving from dinosaurs..I am not sure if there is enough scientific proof of that, but possibly when the dinosaurs died off due to climatic changes perhaps some were at the stage of evolution to have survived and continued to evolve into modern day species..

Old 04-12-2008, 05:12 PM

655 posts, read 917,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO, evolution does not challenge my beliefs..Not my take on evolution..I believe man has evolved from his environment, intellect capacity, his need for survival, etc. I believe man evolved from man, not friom anything else..I believe the earth and everything in it is due to evolution from the laws of nature as created by God..There are interesting theories about modern animals evolving from dinosaurs..I am not sure if there is enough scientific proof of that, but possibly when the dinosaurs died off due to climatic changes perhaps some were at the stage of evolution to have survived and continued to evolve into modern day species..
I have not any answers, but your statement that man evolved from man, makes little sense to me? We had to start somewhere. I for one will never buy the idea that a single cell bacteria was formed when lightening struck a heap of mud billions of years ago. Life was created at some point, somehow. Whether is be the bible's version, or another, we may never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality