Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
So tell me something? Why does god choose to heal some but not others? Does he just not like some people, was it just this kids time to go, or was this just some part of a bigger divine plan he has in store for this family.

A popular thing I hear lot of people down here say is "everything happens for a reason" or "I don't believe in accidents/chance".
What an interesting question, and one I've heard a lot, and asked a lot. But the most interesting thing about this question is why it's usually asked (including by me, in the past) as if not being healed were the bad choice. Why would that be, if we really believe heaven is a wonderful place, and the ultimate goal? Wouldn't the person who was healed--and hence lived to work, pay taxes, have angina and discover his or her spouse cheating on him or her another day--be the one God favored?

Maybe God doesn't heal some people because he liked them better!

Just food for thought. I don't know why I'm taking everything OT today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I don't have any argument with the main intent of most of your comments, but I have to take exception to your conclusion regarding the girl's faith. We have no statement or evidence of what her belief was or the stregnth of her faith or even what her faith was in. It is irresponsible to jump to the conclusion that her faith failed her. Regardless of the side of the fence you fall on as to the effectiveness of faith, there is nothing to indicate she had any faith.

I do not believe in sitting back and waiting for God to manage our problems for us, but I do feel that faith can accomplish much that we could not do simply on our own. Even doctors believe in faith, they just call it positive thinking.
Exactly on both bolded parts. There is no indication that the girls faith failed her in any way.

I have even heard doctors say, after a serious operation when all that can be done is wait, "we have done all that we can, all that we can do now is pray". Even doctor's know their limitations and understand that there is a higher being that is in ultimate control.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
What an interesting question, and one I've heard a lot, and asked a lot. But the most interesting thing about this question is why it's usually asked (including by me, in the past) as if not being healed were the bad choice. Why would that be, if we really believe heaven is a wonderful place, and the ultimate goal? Wouldn't the person who was healed--and hence lived to work, pay taxes, have angina and discover his or her spouse cheating on him or her another day--be the one God favored?

Maybe God doesn't heal some people because he liked them better!

Just food for thought. I don't know why I'm taking everything OT today.
It's interesting that you say this because when my uncle passed away we had those questions as is human nature... "why".. "why did he have to die"... "why couldn't he just be healed and still be here with us". But after the initial shock of it all wore off and we could find comfort and peace within ourselves we understood that he was in a far better place and that God probably just looked down upon his son and said, "enough, it's time for you to come home with me". We know he is in a better place and that now he is totally and completely healed of the diabetes and all its side ailments.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,928,891 times
Asking if this is God's will is such a loaded question that it really does not even deserve a response.

I am a believer and a parent and I think what those parents did was horrible.

My kids always come first and I would do anything in my power for their safety and health. Medical and spiritual. I can't relate with those parents because I do not have the same beliefs as they do. Nor could I stand by and watch my kids suffering at all.

Jerz did make some very good points. ( I tried to rep you but couldn't ) That is one reason I like this forum, you can see all different sides of a topic.

But just like anything you have some extremists do something controversial and everyone attacks the group as a whole.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Well, this may sound terrible but I'd be able to live with it better if my child died after trying everything medically possible to save her/him than after not doing anything.... You can pray all you want and heck, let those who believe in god pray, by all means ...but medicine is needed too to save people. Sure people die from the wrong care but not doing anything is just wrong.

Praying lets people feel good about doing nothing.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,335,061 times
Yeah, I can see how praying can make it seem like you did all you could but in the case of these parents, it amounts to nothing. Even had the child survived, diabetes needs to be monitored and a whole lifestyle needs to be adjusted, she would have needed longterm medical care. It wasn't a short term illness in her case.
Praying is a very important thing to those who believe in it but in todays' day and age. Cults that forbid doctors are wrong, plain and simple.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,460,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I guess you could call this a form of natural selection....

Another candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Poor kid.
only problem with that is the darwin awards normally go to morons that kill themselves--not morons that kill their children.

poor kid.

you ever heard the story of the man on top of his roof as the floodwaters rose? kept praying for a miracle. really wanted a miracle. wanted the miracle so bad that he turned down the boats that kept coming to save him...

at least he only killed himself, not his child.

God gave us brains for a reason, and medicine to boot.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,245,312 times
When it comes to God, religion and humanity, it is free will that defines us humans.
Ignorance is no excuse and people who say that it was God's will that the girl died truly are ignorant; all they do by saying this is deny their own responsibility.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,460,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
When it comes to God, religion and humanity, it is free will that defines us humans.
Ignorance is no excuse and people who say that it was God's will that the girl died truly are ignorant; all they do by saying this is deny their own responsibility.
100% seconded. what i don't know can in fact hurt me severely. what i don't know can unfortunately also hurt my family, my friends, and even Tzepii, my tarantula. that is why education is so important in this life. hard to have faith in God and in His system if you don't want to take the time to learn about it and to see how it actually works.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,942,947 times
Faith healing is a big placebo at best. The problem is that while the people make fantastic claims of cases where the "incurable" have been cured, the details always end up being unfalsifiable and just as easily attributed to something else. The christian who turns to Allah and gets healed will testify for islam while chances are he or she would be doing the same for christ had he/she not converted. People also forget the tiny "body is a survival machine" fact.

Of course to make this claim true and shut the skeptic up, a test can be carried out where healing that can't be attributed to the body's natural ability. The perfect example is with a lost limb but when that fails we always get 1234567 bullcrap rationalizations for why that is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality