Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Someone who is not capable of compassion is a sociopath. I see no evidence that either of these guys are sociopaths. Even if they were, I would not lay that at the feet of their faith beliefs.

While I've met a few fundamentalists who are clearly off their rocker, I have never met one who wasn't sincere in their beliefs. They are not really allowed to BE less than all-in.

Both are clearly convinced they are persecuted victims so perhaps the best strategy from their point of view is to say nothing to them that they can't handle, which is to say, nothing that disagrees with their sincere beliefs. Somehow though I doubt they are going to refrain from arguing against unbelief, just as vociferously as they wish. But that's different -- I suppose we have it coming?? I really don't understand the reasoning process they're using.

Oh well.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say either of them was totally incapable. If I didn't think that was exceedingly rare I wouldn't be a humanist. My experience inside a like group was that there was no reasoning process. You simply followed the story line from the Bible as your group cast in the role of the early followers.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:46 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I see it opposite. Not that I think BF has empathy or compassion just that Jeff is about Jeff. I thought I saw those traits in Jeff when I first got here but when he said the reason he speaks out against Gays is because he doesn't want to answer to God for not doing so...pppffftt. BF will at least interact without saying things like ALL atheist & always/never.
Fear. Fear is the tool used by an extremist fundamentalist ideology to keep people in line. It is a terrible burden for people like Jeff.

When Jeff realizes God has not intention of punishing him he will see things differently

Unlike BP, I do not see Jeff as self righteous.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's why there aren't any "liberal" fundamentalists.
That's not a statement I would accept without some qualification. There ARE at least what you could call "less illiberal fundamentalists". But today they are few and beleaguered. When you consider that the "doctrine" that life begins at conception / abortion is murder was invented out of whole cloth a couple of generations ago, and remind yourself that Billy Graham is the founder of Christianity Today, and that political activism used to be considered beneath the lofty goals of evangelicalism, you know that there had to be "liberal fundamentalists" back in the day.

I think it fair to say that the evangelical world has polarized to the point where evangelical moderates have been pretty much silenced. But they at least used to exist. I would imagine most of them who have not caved to the authoritarians have been pushed into more liberal denominations, and that most present-day fundamentalists would consider that a feature rather than a bug.

Thanks for the referenced article, which I definitely will read and comment on when I have time. I'm in a business meeting all day today.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I see him as dangerous. One of those people we read about Moderator cut: offensive accusation removed because he heard his god telling him to do it. Doing his god's work because he didn't want to stand in front of his god to explain why he hadn't done something about those 'filthy' gays.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Offense edited

Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
You are nothing like Jeff and have none of his qualities. Jeff is capable of compassion and empathy.
Well bless your heart!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Fear. Fear is the tool used by an extremist fundamentalist ideology to keep people in line. It is a terrible burden for people like Jeff.

When Jeff realizes God has not intention of punishing him he will see things differently

Please define "self-righteous". I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please define "self-righteous". I'm not sure it means what you think it means.
Oooh I want to hear what you think it means. Tell us why you are not self righteous. (I'm not saying you are or aren't)

Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oooh I want to hear what you think it means. Tell us why you are not self righteous. (I'm not saying you are or aren't)
"Self-righteous" is someone stating that they are righteous in and of themselves, hence the term "self". It suggests that he/she is better than others. I make no such statement, and do not hold to that belief.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I partially agree with OP. While some can be the most hypocritical and judgmental people not walking in the will of God, there are others that are at the mercy of righteous and try to walk as Christ would want them. But I think more so than not, we are broken as a society and weak to temptation. God gave us free will. Society is pushing away, picking and choosing the obedience to Christianity. I also believe that is all religions though. I think it is more of a humanity problem than a Christian one, sadly. I've met people of many religions that are willing to tilt, bend and break the rules of their faith as long as humans of their religion in the same circle don't find out. There are many reasons.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Well bless your heart!
WHAT!!!! No scripture? hahahahahaha

Sorry dude. You are not capable of insulting me. You lack humor and self deprecation. I am amused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality