Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 AM

10,796 posts, read 3,625,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Neither are many of the other secular atheist countries I can think of offhand. You can side-by-side compare North Korea v South Korea in pictures. In fact, type this into a search engine, tell me what you find. Capitalism is the brainchild of christianity, as is science and medicine (sorry atheists, you didnt invent it, and in fact the countries with big atheist tend to be mostly backward cuz theyre broken from communism; it takes free thinkers to invent, and free thinkers tend to not be freethinkers).
Um, I'm pretty sure until the fundamentalists took over, Muslim scientists were at the forefront of discoveries in the medieval era. I certain you have heard the term "Arabic numerals". You know, Arabic inventions of zero, and the rest of the 1, 2, and 3's.

A similar trend is happening in the USA, as fundamentalists more and more walk away from the STEM disciplines. And one wonders why secular Europe is developing more and more medicines, and China, Japan and other Asian countries are more and more establishing themselves as leaders in technology.

It is truly sad that the lead the USA had for most of the 20th century is being eroded by the dumbing down of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM

51,318 posts, read 24,735,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your denial of sin does not mean sin exists anymore than the flat-earthers are correct in their denial of a round planet.

No...it really is God that changes hearts and it's God that saves, not us. We are the messengers, and we are to go and preach the Gospel, but it's God that saves. If you don't believe, I can't force you. And I'm sorry if there have been others that tried. I really am.

Remember, you're the one who is on a religious message board talking bad about religion.
It depends on how you want to define "sin". Not all cultures look at it the same way. You look at it as breaking the laws of god. Buddhists look at such actions as unskillful and as actions which need to be studied and addressed to eliminate "your" suffering and the suffering of others. They do not look on it as "sin" where retribution by a god steps into it.

Unfortunately for you position, non-Christians can change their behaviors, too...such as through striving for enlightenment.

This is actually not a religious message board. This is a message board where people talk about religion and spirituality. There is a sub sub-forum dedicated to Christianity...which you are not currently in. There are also sub sub-forums here about Buddhism, atheism, and other non-Christian topics. If you want a purely religious message board, there are many out there. And further, if what you want is all pro-Christianity discussion, you're in the wrong place...and you know it.

I can't speak for others, but I stay out of the Christianity sub sub-forum. As far as I'm concerned, that's your territory. But "religion and spirituality" is not your exclusive territory.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Consensus does not mean truth.

I also know some Muslims. Very nice people. They don't want to kill anyone, either. There sure are a lot that do, though. The religion could certainly be said to teach it. Is that true Islam? Maybe...maybe not. But fact is, there are countries that are led by radical Muslims that do toss gay people off buildings.

There have also been wars fought, and populations oppressed by secular atheists, trying to stamp out any notion of God. Heck, the atheist's dream, North Korea, isn't doing so well right now.

Yes--bad people will use any means they can to achieve power. Religious or not.
Nor does your opinion = truth.

Thank you for making me laugh. A fundamentalist concerned about the well being of gay people.

Of course wars have been fought and there has been oppression by non-religious people. Did anyone in this discussion ever say that wasn't true?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Funny how that only seems to apply on the Religious and Christianity boards.
This is not a Christianity board.

This is a board about various aspects of religion and spirituality. Here's a very good sentence from Wikipedia you ought to consider: "Those who speak of spirituality outside of religion often define themselves as spiritual but not religious and generally believe in the existence of different "spiritual paths," emphasizing the importance of finding one's own individual path to spirituality. According to one 2005 poll, about 24% of the United States population identifies itself as spiritual but not religious." And what is important here is the phrase "different paths". I'm not Buddhist. That's a different path than you. I'm also now an atheist. That's a different path, too.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,118,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is not a Christianity board.

This is a board about various aspects of religion and spirituality. Here's a very good sentence from Wikipedia you ought to consider: "Those who speak of spirituality outside of religion often define themselves as spiritual but not religious and generally believe in the existence of different "spiritual paths," emphasizing the importance of finding one's own individual path to spirituality. According to one 2005 poll, about 24% of the United States population identifies itself as spiritual but not religious." And what is important here is the phrase "different paths". I'm not Buddhist. That's a different path than you. I'm also now an atheist. That's a different path, too.
The name of the board is "Christianity". This one is "Religion and SPirituality", as you noted. But it is interesting how the rule that it's "about" these things only applies to these 2 boards.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,118,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nor does your opinion = truth.
I've never said otherwise. I don't make the rules, never claimed to.
Quote:
Thank you for making me laugh. A fundamentalist concerned about the well being of gay people.
Why wouldn't we be?
Quote:
Of course wars have been fought and there has been oppression by non-religious people. Did anyone in this discussion ever say that wasn't true?
So it's not really about the religion that makes people war and hurt others, but it's the person.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,499,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Neither are many of the other secular atheist countries I can think of offhand. You can side-by-side compare North Korea v South Korea in pictures. In fact, type this into a search engine, tell me what you find. Capitalism is the brainchild of christianity, as is science and medicine (sorry atheists, you didnt invent it, and in fact the countries with big atheist tend to be mostly backward cuz theyre broken from communism; it takes free thinkers to invent, and free thinkers tend to not be freethinkers).
Here you reveal serious ignorance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c6ab3e898989

As you can see, the former Communist Bloc of Europe (the countries of the former Warsaw Pact, the republics that once were the USSR) are more religious and less atheist than the countries of western Europe. China, of course, was once communist (and still is in name) but they're a greater source of scientific advances and technological development in the 21st century than those ex-communist European states). And I trust I don't need to point out the contribution of Japan to science and technology these past several decades.

You assumed that communism managed to stamp out religion where it exist, and didn't bother to verify this assumption. Classic religious thinking - assume, especially if your assumptions validate what you want to be true, and in any case never ever check to see if you might be wrong.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The name of the board is "Christianity". This one is "Religion and SPirituality", as you noted. But it is interesting how the rule that it's "about" these things only applies to these 2 boards.
No, you're WRONG.

The sub-forum is "Religion & Spirituality". Then, that is further broken down into sub sub-forums: "Atheism & Agnosticism", "Buddhism", "Christianity", "Islam", "Judaism", and "Paganism".

Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I've never said otherwise. I don't make the rules, never claimed to.

Why wouldn't we be?

So it's not really about the religion that makes people war and hurt others, but it's the person.
1. You imply it constantly.

2. Because your group constantly preaches about sending gay people to eternal hell and damnation. I'd say hell and damnation is worse than being thrown off a building.

3. Depends on the war.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Here you reveal serious ignorance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c6ab3e898989

As you can see, the former Communist Bloc of Europe (the countries of the former Warsaw Pact, the republics that once were the USSR) are more religious and less atheist than the countries of western Europe. China, of course, was once communist (and still is in name) but they're a greater source of scientific advances and technological development in the 21st century than those ex-communist European states). And I trust I don't need to point out the contribution of Japan to science and technology these past several decades.

You assumed that communism managed to stamp out religion where it exist, and didn't bother to verify this assumption. Classic religious thinking - assume, especially if your assumptions validate what you want to be true, and in any case never ever check to see if you might be wrong.
Thanks for posting that. It's a very interesting bit of data to contemplate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality