Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is a point I try to make often...being in love with an idea, a hope in an invisible Being from stories is
'ok', I guess. I'm not knocking it exactly....but there's more!!!! And it breeds untruths.

To truly love this Being...you must know 'Him' up-close and personally, intimately.
Otherwise it's like saying you love the puppy that you have a photo of that you will be getting
in a few more weeks.
But, is that truly ' love'? Love is being with the puppy thru thick and thin, knowing his personality,
playing with him, forgiving him...but mainly getting to know him.

Saying this is my way of encouraging people to sit in stillness and know God, intimately.
And that is why I enjoy atheists more, than those that talk dogma, rules, hellish and 'holier-than-thou' concepts to me.
When I was a believer it was common for me to talk to god for guidance and comfort. To do so now would seem silly. I now tend to be more focused on handling my affairs as apposed to leaving them to an imaginary being. Nothing wrong with finding comfort in faith, but it is not wise to turn ones needs over to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
When I was a believer it was common for me to talk to god for guidance and comfort. To do so now would seem silly.
I can see that...talking 'to' God...if you don't know if He is even there!
That is why rock solid, direct experience of this Omnipresent Spirit, I say, is better than not.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If civilization ended tomorrow, mankind would not. We would revert to whatever level of animal-ism was necessary for survival -- and rebuild civilization from there. Our opposable thumbs and prefontal cortex (or something brain-wise. Dammit Jim, I'm an animist, not an anatomist!) would demand no less.

But love is the emotional oil that makes the frustration and pain of childbirth and rearing, ultimately life's sweetest reward - and not a necessary chore to ensure the future.
yup,

I understood "love" as a seriously needed subroutine as soon as I looked at my first. Well, for our type of life anyway. We just are not that advanced in my opinion. yet.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I would take it further and say the meaning of life is to share a loving relationship with our creator, who I believe is Yahweh.
How were you created by Yahweh, I thought your parents had free-will to choose when to copulate.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
How were you created by Yahweh? I thought your parents had free-will to choose when to copulate.
Parents don’t create-they beget. The creator makes life.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Parents don’t create-they beget. The creator makes life.
How does that make any sense in regards to the idea of "free-will"?

If your parents had free-will, did Yahweh make them beget you because he planned on "creating" your body out of the atoms he "planned" for you (or your mother) to eat? Or were you and your genes going to be born somewhere else if your parents hadn't done what they did?

Or are you saying you are actually a disembodied spirit being forced to inhabit a random arbitrary body, and that you'd be "you" even if you had been born to different parents or ate different things? In which case, when were you "alive" in such a way?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
How does that make any sense in regards to the idea of "free-will"?

If your parents had free-will, did Yahweh make them beget you because he planned on "creating" your body out of the atoms he "planned" for you (or your mother) to eat? Or were you and your genes going to be born somewhere else if your parents hadn't done what they did?

Or are you saying you are actually a disembodied spirit being forced to inhabit a random arbitrary body, and that you'd be "you" even if you had been born to different parents or ate different things? In which case, when were you "alive" in such a way?
God created life originally and gave us a way to continue life from one to another generation. God is omniscient and sovereign.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
God created life originally and gave us a way to continue life from one to another generation. God is omniscient and sovereign.
And he authorized pamphlets written by anonymous, super-spiritualized scribes who channeled him thousands of years ago and then everyone forgot how to do it. So, VERY lucky those anonymous scribes wrote those pamphlets!

And super, colossal bonus that Constantine got a bunch of bishops together because of his Mom's whining and they had a meeting and gave names to the anonymous scribes and decided which ones were really channeling god and which ones had a wrong #.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality