Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,354,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not exactly.

I think there's some teensy possibility that some god exists somewhere or somewhen, I just don't think it at all likely or relevant and see no evidence for it.

I will say that if one's judgment of the "odds of gods" are anywhere out of the single digits, then they are probably not atheist in the sense that most of us are. But strictly speaking, the key question is whether the OP actually believes in at least one god, not whether he is conflicted about it conceptually.
Not believing in God and acknowledging the possibility of God because we do not have all the answers are two different things. I doubt the possibility of God in exactly the same way I doubt the possibility of Zeus or Odin. Yet, not being infallible, I recognize that I could always be wrong. But I am betting an eternity in hell (where ever THAT is) that there is no God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We don't claim to be perfect, but our entire rationale is geared towards seeing things as they are, while the Theist's mental mindset is geared towards manipulating things as they are to fit what they believe, so...yes, aside from your well -poisoning delivery that essentially hits the nail on the head.
I have never poisoned anyone and you have the free will to interpret my words any way you want because whatever you believe must be true.
bylpph

PS ~~ I believe you failed to notice that my reponse that you quoted does not support Religion
one way or the other.
So your assumption in regards to me is just that, an assumption.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 AM

678 posts, read 430,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

Usually, "not feeling spiritual" means a person feels sort of trapped in their material existence. Guess what, you are.
Wow, that's a pretty strong claim, especially considering you don't know me or my lifestyle. I'm more of a minimalist, who has given up wealth (voluntarily reduced work) to experience more love, joy, and experiences. I think most people would say joy, love and experience are not tied to a material existence.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never poisoned anyone and you have the free will to interpret my words any way you want because whatever you believe must be true.
bylpph

PS ~~ I believe you failed to notice that my reponse that you quoted does not support Religion
one way or the other.
So your assumption in regards to me is just that, an assumption.
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Please stop making up or using false definitions. This is one of the reasons, I suppise, there is a thread on how we can all get along. So you got to definitions out of two wrong however there is no prize for doing that. On another thread you made statements on who were and we're not Christians. And to those that posted on the Oreen thread, this is one of the reasons atheist post on this forum, to correct the falsehoods about atheists that some believers spread

And the poor tortured atheists *never* spread falsehoods about believers because those atheist are such good, true, honest little souls....
bylpph

I thank you for at least showing dishonest tacticts in use here, pretending that my comment on this previous exchange was wrong because it did not mention Religion. Nor did it, but it mentioned believers, and it is pretty clear what they believed.
Since this bit of dishonest wriggling implies that you could have taken Eusebius' correspondence cause and given lessons to Gldnrule, I cannot give you benefit of doubt that you were unaware that well poisoning is not a homicide attempt but a logical fallacy

Poisoning the Well

(also known as: discrediting, smear tactics)

Description: To commit a preemptive ad hominem attack against an opponent. That is, to prime the audience with adverse information about the opponent from the start, in an attempt to make your claim more acceptable or discount the credibility of your opponent’s claim.

Thus whatever I believe or however I may choose to Interpret your post, you have done more to discredit yourself in the eyes of the browsers, lurkers and cyberstalkers that are the real people that count here (after the Mods, Blessing be ever upon them) than any posting of mine could do.

Have a nice day
Bllthhrrp.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd use the term 'irreligious theist' rather than agnostics, because we are all really agnostics - we don't Know, but theism or not relates to what we believe.

This simple distinction is one of the most widespread global misunderstandings that I know of. Even atheists don't get it, half the time.
r
We are all agnostics if we've really thought it through and are honest about it and understand the formal definitions in use here, but that's a lot of "ands". (A)gnosticism is one's knowledge claim, and I'm speaking of the claims being made, not the tenability of same.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
I have never poisoned anyone ...
He was referring to the metaphor, "poisoning the well" -- not that you have literally poisoned anyone.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Rather like the 'technical atheist' idea, I see agnosticism as applying whether one has throught it through or not.

One is an atheist if one as no idea of God to reject, or has thought about and rejected it.

They are agnostic if they don't know about any god claim to think about it or have though about and decided they don't know, or have decided they do know (gnostic theist) on Faith or that rather rare critter, the theist who believed in God because of evidence (which is not the same as having fiddled the evidence to fit the Faith).

And then the atheist would say they are Agnostic, even if they don't admit it.

Just as we disbelieving atheists are agnostic, even though theists in crapping the claim that we know for sure into our mouths, despite our denial.

"Ceterum censeo Trumpeiamo esse delendam"

Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Wow, that's a pretty strong claim, especially considering you don't know me or my lifestyle. I'm more of a minimalist, who has given up wealth (voluntarily reduced work) to experience more love, joy, and experiences. I think most people would say joy, love and experience are not tied to a material existence.
"Usually" doesn't usually make a strong claim about an individual. But do you see yourself as a psychic-projecter or "psychonaut"? Because if you don't, then you in fact do see yourself as currently trapped in your material existence (even if love, joy, and experiences are trapped right in here with you). You don't even have to see yourself as a full psychonaut, the aborigines of Australia thought their souls leave their bodies during dreams and travel to the dream-world. If you think you experience and have love and joy outside your body around this natural-life time, then I might consider your idea that you do believe that love and joy and experience aren't tied to your material brain (currently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality