Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,112,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
...just cuz you go to Church doesn't mean you're a Christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car.
I will quote you many times. Funny!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM

20,501 posts, read 12,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Because to know God we must be alone. There is a time for fellowship, but in my experience, too many Christians rely on it for finding God. If you do find a group or church who you feel comfortable with, that's great and nothing wrong with it unless they rob you of the time to commune alone. Churches and groups offer many things but can be a distraction. Most Christian circles I've been around regard you as odd if you want to be alone, just sit under a tree or on a rock and observe yourself, your surroundings and contemplate your place in it. God is not necessarily in churches. He is, however, always in the smaller and more nuanced details of each passing moment. Jesus even said so.
Certainly private prayer, Bible study, & reflection are vital to spiritual maturation. But, we all have spiritual gifts. What if your gift is teaching or preaching? A preacher needs a flock, LOL!

You are correct in that Christ does not reside in a building of brick & mortar. He resides in the hearts of those who love Him.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,601,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You are right there in your second sentence,going to church doesn't make you a Christian,it might give others the outward appearance of one but God only knows the true heart of the individual.However, this doesn't mean one shouldn't go to assemble with others for the clarification,edification and the sanctification of the Lord.

See? I never said you shouldn't. I said you didn't have
to. Now I have a group that we ride motorcycles with that meets up once every month to take a ride. We start and end the ride with prayer.
If you want to join in please do, if you don't?? that's ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality