Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,014,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
My point went over your head, and I bet you didn't even read the essay.
If Jesus wanted to expound upon the Adam & Eve story, He would have,
more than just using them as an iconic example of relationship between
man and woman.
Jesus did not write any of the New Testament. He was God, and moved
men with Spirit and Truth, that was His chosen method, not the written word.
The only writing He does is a line in the sand.
The Church is his legacy. Sola Scriptura leads to the confused worship of a text.
Yea, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Look up the true meaning of 'creation myth'. Every civilisation that has one, believes theirs to be true and real, just as you believe in yours. I doubt they lie either.

The other creation myths are similar in that they are equally implausible. Fashioning a man out of dirt, dust, mud, sticks, or maize; there's no difference.
Making another person from a spare rib or from the sweat of the another person, there's no difference; they are equally implausible.

So in my view they do come close.

And Jesus was not 'there'. There is no story of Jesus being present either at the creation of earth or the creation of Adam and Eve. Even I know that.

More and more, I'm beginning to think if there is a god-thing, it is not yet fully realized.

It is evolving - maybe not coincidentally - along with us. But not just with us.

All of life is evolving. We just tend to pay attention to ourselves and what is close to us. But there is a whole frickin' universe out there that is very likely teeming with life of some sort or another and I kind of doubt if any of it stands still for long.

If your environment changes - so best you.

Or move.

Or both.

That's basically the story of evolution as I understand it.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,376,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The real story that science gives us, not some campfire stories perpetuated by some wine imbiding group of desert goat herders. The story told by DNA.

And what a story! Guess what, Europeans were not always white, blond and blue eyed. Au contraire mon cherie. They was brown, swarthy and probably smelly too. And then migrations came from the Middle East, and low and behold, brought Caucasian traits with them.

Now, homos erectus of course existed much before that in various stages of evolution. We left the other great apes to travel their separate evolutionary trek millions of years prior. Some 40,000 years ago, the last of the Neaderthals died out, although 3% of their DNA still exists in modern day Caucasians. Now, I know that some YEC are going to go all ape about that, but now you at least have a reason to.

New DNA Research Sheds New Light on Ice Age Europe - History in the Headlines
Uhhhh, Adam and Eve were metaphorical people. This story is clearly an allegory. Eden is the Spirit World, not Earth. That you think otherwise puts you in the same literalism as the fundies.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Uhhhh, Adam and Eve were metaphorical people. This story is clearly an allegory. Eden is the Spirit World, not Earth. That you think otherwise puts you in the same literalism as the fundies.
Of course Adam and Eve can at best be considered metaphorical. Where did you get the idea that I thought otherwise?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 AM

10,553 posts, read 6,197,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

While today we may look upon the story as a metaphor, at the time it was written it likely was viewed in a more literal sense. Remember that a couple of thousand years ago, people understood very little compared to what we understand today. The story, for them was an explanation for human nature.
The story was probably one that had been passed down many generations and tweaked through the years like Chinese whispers, which possibly accounts for some similarities with other creation myths around the world.
Also bear in mind, as evidenced by this thread, that some people alive today still believe this story to be true in a literal sense. Since that is the case, you can bet your bottom dollar that many people a couple of thousand years ago will certainly have done.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

More and more, I'm beginning to think if there is a god-thing, it is not yet fully realized.

It is evolving - maybe not coincidentally - along with us. But not just with us.

All of life is evolving. We just tend to pay attention to ourselves and what is close to us. But there is a whole frickin' universe out there that is very likely teeming with life of some sort or another and I kind of doubt if any of it stands still for long.

If your environment changes - so best you.

Or move.

Or both.

That's basically the story of evolution as I understand it.
You should start a thread on this TroutDude. It would make for an interesting discussion.
I've never thought about the idea of an evolving god-like being before.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
While today we may look upon the story as a metaphor, at the time it was written it likely was viewed in a more literal sense. Remember that a couple of thousand years ago, people understood very little compared to what we understand today. The story, for them was an explanation for human nature.
The story was probably one that had been passed down many generations and tweaked through the years like Chinese whispers, which possibly accounts for some similarities with other creation myths around the world.
Also bear in mind, as evidenced by this thread, that some people alive today still believe this story to be true in a literal sense. Since that is the case, you can bet your bottom dollar that many people a couple of thousand years ago will certainly have done.
The historic document of the creation of Adam and Eve was never tweaked through the years.

The other historic documents detailing the writers of the New Testament, who were Jews, also believe the creation account to be historically accurate. These men were inspired by God and knew fact from fiction. They told us to stay away from myths:

1Ti_1:4 nor yet to be heeding myths and endless genealogies, which are affording exactions rather than God's administration which is in faith."

1Ti_4:7 Now profane and old womanish myths refuse, yet exercise yourself in devoutness,

2Ti_4:4 and, indeed, they will be turning their hearing away from the truth, yet will be turned aside to myths."

Tit_1:14 not heeding Jewish myths and precepts of men who are turning from the truth.

2Pe_1:16 For not by following wisely made myths do we make known to you the power and presence of our Lord, Jesus Christ, but by becoming spectators of His magnificence."

The writers of the New Testament actually said and wrote quite a lot concerning Adam and Eve as fact. Adam is even in Christ's genealogy. You don't put a mythical person in your genealogy.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Of course Adam and Eve can at best be considered metaphorical. Where did you get the idea that I thought otherwise?
One does not put metaphorical people in one's genealogy. Adam and Eve can at best be considered historically accurate.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The historic document of the creation of Adam and Eve was never tweaked through the years.

The other historic documents detailing the writers of the New Testament, who were Jews, also believe the creation account to be historically accurate. These men were inspired by God and knew fact from fiction. They told us to stay away from myths:

1Ti_1:4 nor yet to be heeding myths and endless genealogies, which are affording exactions rather than God's administration which is in faith."

1Ti_4:7 Now profane and old womanish myths refuse, yet exercise yourself in devoutness,

2Ti_4:4 and, indeed, they will be turning their hearing away from the truth, yet will be turned aside to myths."

Tit_1:14 not heeding Jewish myths and precepts of men who are turning from the truth.

2Pe_1:16 For not by following wisely made myths do we make known to you the power and presence of our Lord, Jesus Christ, but by becoming spectators of His magnificence."

The writers of the New Testament actually said and wrote quite a lot concerning Adam and Eve as fact. Adam is even in Christ's genealogy. You don't put a mythical person in your genealogy.
You seem to be missing something;

Quote:
A creation myth is a symbolic narrative of how the world began and how people first came to inhabit it. While in popular usage the term myth often refers to false or fanciful stories, formally, it does not imply falsehood. Cultures generally regard their creation myths as true.
If they thought it was true, they wouldn't know it was fiction.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,781,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Oh, okay, if you say so. Thanks for your well thought-out response with all your proofs. I am now convinced.

Religion doesn't need proof. That's why they're big on faith.

You're easy to convince - a trait of the religious perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality