Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

And on a military front, the world has never been more dangerous since it is only a matter of time before wacko world leaders have full ballastic capability of dealing a nuclear warhead to any country on earth. Yeah, those will be fun times.
Been there. Done that. Lived through the 11 days of fear and terror during the Cuban Missile Crisis, waiting for the Soviets to drop a nuclear bomb on our heads, and am here to tell the tale. The drop and cover stuff would not have saved us. We came thisclose to becoming nuclear dust.

You can now vacation in Cuba.

This is the most dangerous time? Really? Did you know that in the 1960's the United States was shipping nuclear missiles to Europe as fast as they could be produced? (Google Pershing Missile because I doubt you know much about the Cold War.) We weren't doing that to create jobs. They were removed and dismantled in 1988. The world became MUCH safer following the signing of the Nuclear Forces Treaty in 1988.

Which you should also Google. Then you can Google WWI and WWII, heck....just Google "Famous Wars" then come back and tell us how you came to decide the world has never been more dangerous.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-30-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
I hope this thread lasts a while.

At least until every fundie who believes in the Armageddon/Judgment Day/Jesus is immediately-and-I-mean-it-for-real-is-coming-back-any-second-now has a chance to s'plain how come there's so much good stuff to be proud of and celebrate amongst us sinful humans.

Maybe Jesus oughtta' hold off on the 2nd-coming thing for a while yet.

I mean, really, what's the rush? I'm perfectly fine with spending another decade or two on the planet, scratching my head trying to figure things out.

Mankind is learning new truths about the universe and ourselves and our planet every, single day. Very much of that knowledge comes from the various fields of Science -- most of which I understand as well as the average gerbil.

But unlike the average gerbil, I am capable of reading what a consensus of people think about various things who know more about those things than I do.

I am intelligent, reasonably-well educated and have been on the planet long enough and dealt with enough humans to know when someone chops up feathers and tries to tell me it's a chicken sandwich.

I come from farm stock. I can sift truth from lies - separate wheat from chaff.

Learning about new things only improves any species. (I'd say, "Think evolution." But much of my hoped-for audience would shut down their brains.) What believers have to get through their heads - and thankfully, let's not forget most have - is that knowing what is true is not a wrong thing.

Adding light to a murky situation is hardly ever a bad thing to do.

Unless you're blind, literally or figuratively.

Don'tcha' think?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You don't think scientists should get at least some of the credit for scientific advancement?
Yep, they've used education to discover whats already there for us to discover.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
We are getting people out of poverty. "[T]he world has lately been making extraordinary progress in lifting people out of extreme poverty. Between 1990 and 2010, their number fell by half as a share of the total population in developing countries, from 43% to 21%—a reduction of almost 1 billion people." (#)
What's this "we" part?

That is the result of globalization which is taking place in spite of christians in the Developed 1st World, not because of them.

You can thank BRICS, especially China, Russia and India.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:58 PM

15,893 posts, read 6,354,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What's this "we" part?

That is the result of globalization which is taking place in spite of christians in the Developed 1st World, not because of them.

You can thank BRICS, especially China, Russia and India.
I didn't write that, but I take it to mean "we humans." Humans are making strides in quality of life even if the results are the effort of only a certain few.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,748,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Been there. Done that. Lived through the 11 days of fear and terror during the Cuban Missile Crisis, waiting for the Soviets to drop a nuclear bomb on our heads, and am here to tell the tale. The drop and cover stuff would not have saved us. We came thisclose to becoming nuclear dust.

You can now vacation in Cuba.

This is the most dangerous time? Really? Did you know that in the 1960's the United States was shipping nuclear missiles to Europe as fast as they could be produced? (Google Pershing Missile because I doubt you know much about the Cold War.) We weren't doing that to create jobs. They were removed and dismantled in 1988. The world became MUCH safer following the signing of the Nuclear Forces Treaty in 1988.

Which you should also Google. Then you can Google WWI and WWII, heck....just Google "Famous Wars" then come back and tell us how you came to decide the world has never been more dangerous.
Even Russia didn't have complete lunatics for leaders pushing the button. They knew quite well that throwing nukes at us meant we would do the same to them. But a nutjob like Kim Jong-un or some Middle East literally who believes they are acting for God? Umm no, we're not safety. Now the stakes are just as high with more players at the table.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 PM

15,893 posts, read 6,354,476 times
Did you see this Jeff?

Single Drop Of Blood Will Soon Be Enough To Diagnose Most Types of Cancer - The Latest News

Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:
Even Russia didn't have complete lunatics for leaders pushing the button. They knew quite well that throwing nukes at us meant we would do the same to them. But a nutjob like Kim Jong-un or some Middle East literally who believes they are acting for God? Umm no, we're not safety. Now the stakes are just as high with more players at the table.
Can you see why some people believe religion can be bad for humanity? You recognize the danger yourself.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 PM

122 posts, read 112,613 times
This is what the religious are talking about, and this is what I see occurring at an accelerating rate:
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
2 Timothy 3.
Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
2 Peter 3.

There is no denying that some things are "better" as described by the OP (much of the "improvement" is highly debatable, but I'll let it go). There is likewise no denying, I believe, that things are much worse in the fundamental ways predicted by the Bible. I am not one inclined to predict "The end is at hand!" but I do believe the handwriting is on the wall and that the view that "The world is getting better every day" is a self-delusional fantasy. Like G. K. Chesterton (www.chesterton.org for those to whom the name is new), I came to Christianity in large part precisely because its doctrines meshed so well with the reality of the world in which we live.

Flail away, scoffers - it's not going to affect me or my beliefs.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Even Russia didn't have complete lunatics for leaders pushing the button.

Really? Your criteria is that it be a lunatic pushing the button?

The fact that this country came close to being blown to kingdom come in October 1962 is negated by the fact that Khrushchev wasn't a complete and total whack job? Do you have any idea what the Cuban Missile Crisis was about and what happened? Do you realize that this country dang near ceased to exist? THAT'S fear. THAT's what we lived with 50 years ago. And you think it's worse now? Really? Really?

(It's interesting that you totally ignored that WE, the good ol' US of A... the good guys in the white hats..... were putting NUCLEAR WEAPONS in Europe during the Cold War. Tell us, Jeffy.... were WE lunatics for filling Western Europe with nuclear weapons?)

SMH Ignorance breeds fear. And conservative fundamentalists LOVE fear. Fear of God. Fear of hell. Fear of anything that isn't preached in their churches. Fear of knowing the TRUTH because it may be something other than what they are told by their fellow conservative fundamentalists. Fear of finding out that the world is getting better.... because that would mean they can't tell everyone the world is ending! Repent! Repent!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-30-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality