Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,241,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
When it comes to help for the poor, those seeking help are largely legitimate. Ironically, it is mostly conservative Christians who cry the loudest about fraudsters scamming the system .
Although this could veer into the political, this one statement doesn't.
I'm an atheist and cry loudly because of being pretty familiar with the system.
It does result in those that truly do need the assistance being short-changed in several ways and also does cause the legitimate recipients to have the same shadow cast over them.
But it's not a small percentage outright scanning or, most generally, 'cheating' a painfully screwed up system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 07:39 AM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm an atheist and cry loudly because of being pretty familiar with the system.
It does result in those that truly do need the assistance being short-changed in several ways and also does cause the legitimate recipients to have the same shadow cast over them. But it's not a small percentage outright scanning or, most generally, 'cheating' a painfully screwed up system.

the purpose of giving is to break your own greed and selfishness and transform ourselves into being more kind and generous and compassionate ourselves.

a person can point the finger at "the system" and complain and cry loudly all they want, the only thing that matters is how we put it into action ourselves and walk the talk. are you giving and helping those in need? or making excuses to justify why it's better to not give, and why it doesn't apply to you?

have you ever even walked into or spent time in a soup kitchen? women's shelter? meals on wheels route? homeless shelter of any kind? because what I keep hearing is excuses for not giving to help others.

giving is not about "them" it's about "you"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-29-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,331,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the purpose of giving is to break our own greed and transform ourselves into being more kind and generous and compassionate ourselves.

a person can point the finger at "the system" and complain all they want, the only thing that matters is how we put it into action ourselves and walk the talk. are you giving and helping those in need? or making excuses to justify why it's better to not give, and why it doesn't apply to you?
Well, it's too bad many Christians in this country do not feel the same. Sure, they might trundle down to a nearby church and donate some clothes smelling of mothballs that no one has worn since Saturday Night Fever came out. Or they might donate some canned goods or stuff that is just about to expire. I think much of the giving comes around Christmas when people will actually buy new toys for needy kids.

But as I said before, this country is saddled with latent Puritanism when it comes to our system of helping the poor. It's an ideology that says, "We know it's immoral not to help you, but we're going to punish you for needing our help." Thus, for the disabled, for instance, our punishment is living in abject poverty to the point of being left with deciding between having a home or eating.

Many conservative Christians think that the only help anyone should receive should only come from charity and not government programs. But charity is not going to have the resources to pay for medication or health care ... nor will it have the resources to keep a disabled person from ending up on the street.

What's more is that decisions are made in the political arena that focuses mainly on how to make it more difficult to obtain help to thwart scammers (who always beat the system anyway) instead of focusing on how best to help those in need.

If more Christians were actually, well ... Christian, it wouldn't be so hellish to be disabled in this country.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,241,343 times
Quote:
the purpose of giving is to break your own greed and selfishness and transform ourselves into being more kind and generous and compassionate ourselves.

a person can point the finger at "the system" and complain and cry loudly all they want, the only thing that matters is how we put it into action ourselves and walk the talk. are you giving and helping those in need? or making excuses to justify why it's better to not give, and why it doesn't apply to you?

have you ever even walked into or spent time in a soup kitchen? women's shelter? meals on wheels route? homeless shelter of any kind? because what I keep hearing is excuses for not giving to help others.

I hope all of those "you's" aren't being asked of me personally because I never respond to posts ( or threads) that seem irresistible to the braggarts and can't resist letting everybody know how good they are and even those that maybe have a bit of a guilty complex so make the little they do seem like more or offer excuses as to why not.
The whole system, like way too many other governmental programs, is nothing more than a messed up patchwork of one band aid applied over another so the original and important purposes have been sunk under the weight of it all.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,944,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I hope all of those "you's" aren't being asked of me personally because I never respond to posts ( or threads) that seem irresistible to the braggarts and can't resist letting everybody know how good they are and even those that maybe have a bit of a guilty complex so make the little they do seem like more or offer excuses as to why not.
The whole system, like way too many other governmental programs, is nothing more than a messed up patchwork of one band aid applied over another so the original and important purposes have been sunk under the weight of it all.
All of those "you's" are questions to ask yourself, not to answer here. You are your own keeper.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM

1,422 posts, read 953,374 times
Quote:

I notice you still haven't answered the question I asked you. I guess that since the thread is about 'the Sabbath' it is not that relevant but it was you who brought into the thread as an argument, the subject of tithing.

I think that greed and possessiveness and debt and ownership are unhelpful but I also think that all the good that people do in the world is largely off-set or relatively non-effective due to the nature of the systems in which these things are trying to be achieved.

Not that it isn't good to give, but no matter that one 'breaks their own selfishness and greed and transforms themselves into being more kind generous and compassionate,' they continue to live in a world largely governed by systems which operate based upon capitalizing upon those human traits and once a person is in sufficient debt, they tend to look for ways to continue paying that debt and haven;t the time to dedicate to those who are in needy positions.

This goes for countries as well as individuals.

One might want to ask the question "Who is all this debt owed to?"

I remember when I used to go to church and every 3 weeks - month there would always be a sermon on tithing and I once spoke with the pastor about it and decided that i would spend the tithe on food and put the food in a box and brought that to church. my reasoning was that the pastor told me a large portion of the tithe went towards repaying mortgage on the church building plus other related expenses...I figured surly people need food more than buildings which largely remain empty except for a few hours each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality