Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Traditionally, the soul is considered to be non-material. And yet, my soul is affected by gravity, as if it had mass. Obviously, my consciousness is still here on earth band not floating out in space (even if my detractors may occasionally beg to differ).

What's going on here? Why hasn't my massless soul already floated off into outer space, unaffected by gravity?
A bigger question is WTF is gravity exactly and how does it actually keep solar systems, galaxies and universes balanced despite being so weak... our science still hasn't figured that out.

But just for the sake of argument...

Even if we had souls, why is it so hard for non-believers (or believers for that matter) to imagine a better way of doing it than some weird, as of yet undiscovered material-world energy?

Seriously, why not something along the lines of quantum entanglement... everything happening in our brains on the quantum level also repeating on the other end of the universe in another physical medium... when we die our mind shuts down but the "duplicate" mind sticks around.

What about taking that a step higher and imagining our consciousness rolling out across multiple dimensions or even being "recorded" by god in a higher dimension of existence.

What if advanced aliens are "recording" the quantum state of all the atoms on the planet, galaxy or universe for that matter... whenever they want they could just "rewind", reassemble you at any point in your life and poof... you're alive after death!

Unlikely? Probably.

Scientifically impossible? Not at all.

You don't need a soul "direct feed" like an actual physical energy living in the body or a "radio signal" from elsewhere for consciousness to theoretically exist past death... you just need a broader perspective on the possibilities.

So that's why, freak80... either we don't have souls or we're just not thinking big enough. What is inarguable is that there is STILL room for the question of whether we have something approximating a soul or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM

22,326 posts, read 19,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
we're just not thinking big enough...
that is correct.
the opening post thinking is too small and limited

my observation is that the thread topic is more interested in deriding and ridiculing, than increasing understanding of the soul

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,594,577 times
Quote:
Traditionally, the soul is considered to be non-material. And yet, my soul is affected by gravity, as if it had mass. Obviously, my consciousness is still here on earth band not floating out in space (even if my detractors may occasionally beg to differ).

What's going on here? Why hasn't my massless soul already floated off into outer space, unaffected by gravity?
No, there is an old belief that the soul is attached to the body during its physical life by a silver cord. This is commonly referred to in spirituality topics, including out-of-body experiences and near-death experiences. It may have originally come from beliefs found in Native American and Far Eastern mysticism. It's seems to be also found in Judeo-Christian religion.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
No, there is an old belief that the soul is attached to the body during its physical life by a silver cord. This is commonly referred to in spirituality topics, including out-of-body experiences and near-death experiences. It may have originally come from beliefs found in Native American and Far Eastern mysticism. It's seems to be also found in Judeo-Christian religion.
An old belief is not necessarily a correct belief. In fact, it usually isn't (with the possible exception of old wisdom directly applicable to daily life ).

For example, for thousands of years it was believed earth was at the center of the universe and everything rotated around us.

Turns out that isn't the case. Don't get too attached to your silver cord... better think of it as being more allegorical in nature.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
An old belief is not necessarily a correct belief. In fact, it usually isn't (with the possible exception of old wisdom directly applicable to daily life ).

For example, for thousands of years it was believed earth was at the center of the universe and everything rotated around us.

Turns out that isn't the case. Don't get too attached to your silver cord... better think of it as being more allegorical in nature.
i don't get how people think "older" means truer. My mums old, she aint no truer than my niece.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
The soul seems to behave much like a volume of gas originating from the body.
the soul is like the blue flame ...

Old 07-22-2015, 11:10 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,879,322 times
You get your immortal soul at death? At a timeline that is debatable you then get your immortal heavenly body similar to Jesus's resurrected heavenly body He purposely modeled for 40 days. Why 40 days ? It takes people a long time to "get it" it was the first time anyone use "duh" albeit indirectly. I heard Jesus say Oy Vey!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So it could be caught as it's leaving the body if the corpse was surrounded by a tent or a box or something?
As it leaves the body it would pass through any attempt at containment.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As it leaves the body it would pass through any attempt at containment.
Why? If the soul can be contained by a human body, then why not an airtight plastic bag?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
The soul seems to behave much like a volume of gas originating from the body.
Old farts such as I apparently have our soul continuously leaking out, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality