Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,332,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A measure of good character is your ability to be genuinely happy for the good fortune of others in areas where you have NOT had good fortune.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. No one is THAT altruistic and still be human.

Just last month, my cousin, who is a decade younger than me somehow, beyond all logic, managed to land a job that paid $50k per year. Yay, right? Congratulations!!

Except she's never worked a real job a day in her life -- she's the "princess" of the family so she never had to work. Plus she dropped out of at least 4 colleges, never once finishing a semester at any of those schools. And yet, somehow, with no work experience and no education, she manages to get a good job with a good salary without even having to try. No working her way up the ladder, no working cruddy minimum wage jobs until a break comes along, nope. None of that. She just "tra-la-la-las" into a job like that.

Meanwhile, when I was her age, I was working in a hot, noisy, dirty factory for $5.50 an hour just to keep a roof over my head -- a roof in a poor, crime-ridden, drug-infested neighborhood. I worked my tail off to get two bachelors and a masters degree and let me tell you, no breaks ever came my way. Not even close. Of course, then I was struck down with this neuropathy so none of that matters now.

But when I found out my spoiled little cousin landed a job that paid that much right from the get-go with absolutely NO experience, education, or references, I blew a gasket. It just seemed to undermine all the effort I had put into life thus far and STILL hadn't come close to a decent job. And she just floats right on by as the golden ring just lands right into her palm, soft as a feather.

Yeah ... sometimes the insult is just too much. It's not a direct insult hurled at you by the "other" annoyingly happy person, but it feels the same in any case.

More times than not, being happy for someone else is a facade. People act happy -- but they're not.

Not REALLY.

Empathy only goes so far. And ... if you do find yourself happy for someone whose life is a slap in the face to your own life, it's most likely because you stopped caring rather than because you have a sterling character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,337,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So my cousin posts on facebook that one year from today she will marry her best friend, and how lucky for her that this was gods plan for her.

So was it his plan for me to have one man die, one abuse me, one cheat on me, to leave me a single parent of two kids?

Really? Why do people say sucky things?

So no one else on the planet is allowed to be happy or post things that are joyful to them because you currently do not have what they have going on in their lives?

I seriously hope you do not attend the wedding unless your attitude has changed.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,683 times
I have a friend who I love dearly, but she is persona non grata on my FB because of all the animal activisim stuff - cannot cope with dead dogs battering my timeline every day, life is hard enough.

Also OP PRIDE is a thing that comes before a fall, I usually find that people who post their EMOTIONS on facebook are in need of validation of some sort, which hints that All Is Not As Glorious As They Are Making It Out To Be.

Fakebook, I call it.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,647,095 times
Quote:
You are right. I have noticed those that do the most bragging seem to have more issues.

My bf and I do not even publically announce we are together in order to avoid drama and speculation.
????

What kind of "drama and speculation" would result from people knowing that two people have been dating each other for 6 months? It's the most normal and natural thing in the world.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 06-18-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,624,054 times
Quote:
So my cousin posts on facebook that one year from today she will marry her best friend, and how lucky for her that this was gods plan for her.

So was it his plan for me to have one man die, one abuse me, one cheat on me, to leave me a single parent of two kids?

I get ya, if it makes you feel any better they do it all the time. They step over the homeless in L.A. going into the awards shows and then proceed to thank god for all their money and fame. I would thank god as well if he made me filthy rich and admired by all.

When you know it isn't true, and a god didn't think those people were better than the homeless guy you have to wonder why they feel so into themselves. It's telling for sure, but more about your friends personality than gods magic lamp fingers.

The saddest "thank you God moments" are the ones after a disaster and it's just a matter of time until a good christian says, god blessed me and my husband, thank god we made it out alive. Then you see their neighbor screaming in the background because her kid died. I just think it's me, me, me mind set. Sometimes it's a bit insensitive but it's pretty rampant.

Don't take it personally, she wasn't thinking about how it translated. God loves us more, we must have done everything right for our master, awesome.

VS

Thank God I'm not him oh Lord, Thank you , Thank you !!!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,362,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Just last month, my cousin, who is a decade younger than me somehow, beyond all logic, managed to land a job that paid $50k per year. Yay, right? Congratulations!!

Except she's never worked a real job a day in her life -- she's the "princess" of the family so she never had to work. Plus she dropped out of at least 4 colleges, never once finishing a semester at any of those schools. And yet, somehow, with no work experience and no education, she manages to get a good job with a good salary without even having to try. No working her way up the ladder, no working cruddy minimum wage jobs until a break comes along, nope. None of that. She just "tra-la-la-las" into a job like that.

Meanwhile, when I was her age, I was working in a hot, noisy, dirty factory for $5.50 an hour just to keep a roof over my head -- a roof in a poor, crime-ridden, drug-infested neighborhood. I worked my tail off to get two bachelors and a masters degree and let me tell you, no breaks ever came my way. Not even close. Of course, then I was struck down with this neuropathy so none of that matters now.

But when I found out my spoiled little cousin landed a job that paid that much right from the get-go with absolutely NO experience, education, or references, I blew a gasket. It just seemed to undermine all the effort I had put into life thus far and STILL hadn't come close to a decent job. And she just floats right on by as the golden ring just lands right into her palm, soft as a feather.

Yeah ... sometimes the insult is just too much. It's not a direct insult hurled at you by the "other" annoyingly happy person, but it feels the same in any case.

More times than not, being happy for someone else is a facade. People act happy -- but they're not.

Not REALLY.

Empathy only goes so far. And ... if you do find yourself happy for someone whose life is a slap in the face to your own life, it's most likely because you stopped caring rather than because you have a sterling character.
I genuinely get inspired by other people's joys. I like watching loving, happy couples. I like watching people affectionately play with their babies. I knew a track runner in college who had women constantly swarming over him. That made me happy. I like watching my friends get what they want...but I'm also extremely spoiled though...and quite lazy. Maybe it's because I haven't worked as hard as you've seemed to and lost so much. When people vent, I like hearing that too. I'm genuinely very interested in such things.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:

Though I agree with most that her comment wasn't personal, I know where it is that you are coming from..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So no one else on the planet is allowed to be happy or post things that are joyful to them because you currently do not have what they have going on in their lives?

I seriously hope you do not attend the wedding unless your attitude has changed.
There is being happy. ...and there being so clueless that you have no idea how you are coming across... then all bets are off.

Say you are thrilled. .say you are lucky...that you even you feel blessed.....but don't insinuate that you ate some special snow flake that deserves this and people that haven't been as fortunate are less worthy.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:36 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,055 times
Quote:
Why was a thread about relationships moved to a religious board?
Because the issue is religious...my sects of Christians are taught this..it's part of the 'name it claim it' view of theology...and it's very self centered and heartless. It's all about what their big sugar daddy in the sky does for them....and how they can lookdown on others..

Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,047,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Not REALLY.

Exactly. We had a talk like this at work today. We have a princess that does no wrong and is treated like she is golden, but in reality she is a screw up that everyone has to fix things behind her.

Another woman and I have never been treated this way. She says we just do not have the princess personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality