Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 AM

260 posts, read 231,223 times

Advertisements

*Gasp*

Could it be that he was simply one amongst many who managed, by a few strokes of luck here and there, to graduate to the big stage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,104 times
I dunno.
Does it matter?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,108 times
If you read the old testament books, it is hard not to draw that conclusion. If there was only one god, then why did that particular god have to fight so hard and viciously to be the top god? And then insist on pain of death that people believe he is the only god. Seems that if there is only one god, it would be an easy sell. But then there's the equally powerful Satan within this same religion that can do all sorts of magical god things....but he's not a god. Just doesn't stand up to any sort of logic.

Just like the Adam and Eve story. First and only people but once they are expelled from Eden, they meet other people. Hmmm. So where the f... did those other people come from?

That's the problem in believing literally what was originally a political story written by a cabal of Persian priests out of an assortment of creation myths for their own political reasons some 2600 years ago.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,207,283 times
It depends on who you talk to. Maybe someone that has already died can answer that for you. If there is a "One and Only, " he is sure to be called by more names than just one regardless of what the chirstion bible says.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 AM

897 posts, read 2,459,700 times
I think people have a choice to believe in any thing they want.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I dunno.
Does it matter?

To me, no. To others, yes.

These topics are for the sake of entertainment for me because I love history and how religion plays a great role in how it shaped societies and the course of history. It's not surprising I am a History Channel junkie. I love putting things in proper perspective because I have always been the curious kid who just cannot follow just for following sake. I need a valid reason why.

For example, I was born on an island where from since I knew myself my people would go buck wild during a week of revelry, something we call carnival or bacchanal. For many, they just knew they grew up and rolled right into celebrating the event. I was the type of kid who would want to know why we do it and where did the tradition come from. Well you must know how fascinated I was that the custom came from 7,000 miles across the sea, an annual celebration in honor of the Roman/Greek god Bacchus/Dionysus and 2,300 years later the name of the celebration still retains his name in my own culture. To many, irrelevant. To me, fascinating.

So when I start these topics it's not to "attack" Christianity or religion per se as one board member put it. Sure, religion may not come out in a favorable light and people can get very nasty when their precious beliefs are questioned and/or ridiculed, but I just enjoy placing them in proper perspectives for better understanding.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,104 times
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven
Quote:
So when I start these topics it's not to "attack" Christianity or religion per se as one board member put it.
My post wasn't an attack, just a question.
To me it doesn't matter either.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If you read the old testament books, it is hard not to draw that conclusion. If there was only one god, then why did that particular god have to fight so hard and viciously to be the top god? And then insist on pain of death that people believe he is the only god. Seems that if there is only one god, it would be an easy sell. But then there's the equally powerful Satan within this same religion that can do all sorts of magical god things....but he's not a god. Just doesn't stand up to any sort of logic.

Just like the Adam and Eve story. First and only people but once they are expelled from Eden, they meet other people. Hmmm. So where the f... did those other people come from?

That's the problem in believing literally what was originally a political story written by a cabal of Persian priests out of an assortment of creation myths for their own political reasons some 2600 years ago.
Most certainly. I think the problem is that many people read the Bible within a vacuum also thinking the contents being read occurred within a vacuum.

I like the fact you mentioned 'political' because frankly, that is what it was. We often think of the various theological squabbles and wars that shaped the forming of the New Testament canon and forget that the same thing happened (in a sense) amongst the ancient Israelites. There was constant war between the nationalists (Yahweists) and those who sought to seduce the nation with foreign influence by way of foreign gods like Baal and Molech, for example. Those who won out wrote the story and the story was very simple. When we served Yahweh, we prospered and defeated our enemies. When we forsook him for other gods, we suffered and were humiliated and if we suffered and were humiliated, it must have been something we did wrong. There were poltical (read: monetary) gains to be made when you focused the people's attention on ONE god. One temple, one priesthood, one treasury to loot.

This kind of thinking has given rise to radicals and fanatics in the realm of religion from since time began and we are seeing it here in the U.S also. There are those who feel that their particular country has lost a certain swagger or prominence because they have lost their way with some god. When they start feeling that way, they start preaching a call back to whichever god they think their people has forsaken. Some will go overboard ad help out this god and might start a revolution or resort to terrorism to make sure people are frightened into their narrow view of how things ought to be. Consider the Islamic revolution under Ayatolla Khomeni in Iran a few decades back.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSevenMy post wasn't an attack, just a question.
To me it doesn't matter either.
No sir Was not implying your post was an attack. I was saying that one other board member felt threatened that threads questioning Christianity/religion = attack. At least that is what I gathered and she/he will be here later to rip me a new one. lol

Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,523,735 times
I see Jehovah as one of the desert gods like Allah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality