Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 04:34 PM

48 posts, read 47,415 times

Advertisements

There are clues in John's writings that he may have been the same person. In the book of Revelation he describes the first resurrection as those who were "beheaded" and many think that is referring to being born again spiritually, which happens to all men. There are also numerous descriptions of "prison" for those who are in Hades.

Jesus said that John was greater than all men born of women, but that the least in the kingdom would be greater than he was.

I always thought it odd that John the Baptist would NOT have been born again.

This would imply that a lot of things in the gospel are actually parables, since they are imitating Jesus Christ who also used many parables. True followers of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
No. They are 2 different people. John the Baptist was long dead by the time John the Apostle wrote Revelation.

But I'm not following what you're saying regarding the Baptist not being born again, or that the Gospels are parables. You made a bit of a leap there.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 PM

Jesus told the Pharisees not to look for signs of the kingdom coming because it was "in your midst". Which means that when people are born again they begin to see the kingdom with opened eyes, just like Adam and Eve did.

I also have heard that the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is really about only 1 man (like all parables which are about the change of 1 person). The rich man was very poor spiritually and he sat inside of his own gate (prison) in literal torment, with his dog comforting him, until he finally became born again.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,700,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june01 View Post
Jesus told the Pharisees not to look for signs of the kingdom coming because it was "in your midst". Which means that when people are born again they begin to see the kingdom with opened eyes, just like Adam and Eve did.

I also have heard that the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is really about only 1 man (like all parables which are about the change of 1 person). The rich man was very poor spiritually and he sat inside of his own gate (prison) in literal torment, with his dog comforting him, until he finally became born again.
That's as good a guess as any. We'll go with that for now.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,749,267 times
Quote:
There are clues in John's writings that he may have been the same person. In the book of Revelation he describes the first resurrection as those who were "beheaded" and many think that is referring to being born again spiritually, which happens to all men. There are also numerous descriptions of "prison" for those who are in Hades.

Jesus said that John was greater than all men born of women, but that the least in the kingdom would be greater than he was.

I always thought it odd that John the Baptist would NOT have been born again.

This would imply that a lot of things in the gospel are actually parables, since they are imitating Jesus Christ who also used many parables. True followers of Jesus.
Well, if Christ is the first resurrected human ever, then John the apostle and John the Baptist would of necessity have to be two completely different people. For example, when Peter, James and John were with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, John had long since been decapitated by Herod. James and John are constantly referred to as brothers and sons of Zebedee. John the Baptist was the son of Zacharias and almost certainly an only child.

I would agree that John the Baptist has likely been resurrected by now. Probably even one of the first to be resurrected after Jesus. That doesn't make him John the apostle.

John (into Greek then English for Jonah) was an extremely common first name at the time of Christ, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that there was more than one of them. John Mark for example.

Seems like this thread belongs in the Christianity forum.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well, if Christ is the first resurrected human ever, then John the apostle and John the Baptist would of necessity have to be two completely different people. For example, when Peter, James and John were with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, John had long since been decapitated by Herod. James and John are constantly referred to as brothers and sons of Zebedee. John the Baptist was the son of Zacharias and almost certainly an only child.

I would agree that John the Baptist has likely been resurrected by now. Probably even one of the first to be resurrected after Jesus. That doesn't make him John the apostle.

John (into Greek then English for Jonah) was an extremely common first name at the time of Christ, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that there was more than one of them. John Mark for example.

Seems like this thread belongs in the Christianity forum.
No, the beheading is symbolic of spiritual birth. Just like drowning. The prison represents the time before being born again.

John the apostle was the new changed person. Perhaps he had been a Jewish preacher before his conversion, like "John the Baptist" was. The words of John the Baptist were a message about proper behavior. But I forget which gospel recorded his words (maybe Luke). Much of the story is symbolic.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
Quote:
No, the beheading is symbolic of spiritual birth. Just like drowning. The prison represents the time before being born again.
Where do you get this allegorical understanding? Did you just make it up? Did someone tell you that? Why do you believe it over the simple idea that it's historical?

I had a flat tire a couple weeks ago. Can you allegorize that and tell me what it means?
Quote:
John the apostle was the new changed person. Perhaps he had been a Jewish preacher before his conversion, like "John the Baptist" was. The words of John the Baptist were a message about proper behavior. But I forget which gospel recorded his words (maybe Luke). Much of the story is symbolic.
umm....what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality