Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
you know I just love it when these sanctimonious fundamentalist come up to me and ask "have I found Jesus"...my reply is usually, "no but I'll send out a search party for him" and then proceed to tell them that I'm not a Christian. You should see the looks that I get sometimes from these foolish individuals....
Here's a good answer if you want the person to go away quickly: "No, but I did find some homeless guy and know what? No really, know what?" Lean forward and say in a loud, conspiratorial whisper: "I stuffed him. Want to come see?" Make sure you look EXTREMELY eager and reach out quickly to grab the guy's arm in an attempt to drag him back to your car/bike/into your house depending upon the situation.

I'm pretty sure this would work. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-19-2014 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Mocking or insulting contents in posts are deleted.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wonder if there is some type of psychlogical imbalance?...I tend to bring up discussion only with those of a faith and when I do not know, I leave myself available for those who broach the subject themselves...
I'm inclined to think that's the real answer. People like that are not obnoxious and disrespectful because they're religious; they're obnoxious and disrespectful because they have a personality disorder. Because they happen to also be religious, they tend to manifest that personality disorder by smacking people over the head with their religion.

That doesn't make them any less obnoxious and disrespectful, of course, but it isn't really the fault of religion. That said, though, it is one more reason that I try to avoid being around deeply religious people - for some reason, an awful lot of these unbalanced people do seem to take refuge in religion, and I find it very annoying. "Go ye from the presence of the fool if you hear not the words of wisdom from him..."

Old 04-19-2014, 02:36 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think your statements are extremely hypocritical. You're criticizing people for daring to speak on a subject they don't have a formal education in, but you continue to do it yourself.
I can guarantee you that theology classes at Duke University will be quite different from the theology classes at Oral Roberts University - even though both schools are teaching the Bible.

If I were to take an astronomy class at Duke and an astronomy class at a local community college, the knowledge I would receive would be the same in both places. I'm not going to be taught two wildly varying ages of the universe or be told that Venus is closer to the Sun than Mercury at one school and not the other.

But what I am taught taking theology at an Episcopalian school will be quite a bit different than the theology I would be taught at a baptist school and different again at a Methodist school - or a Catholic school, Lutheran school, and, well, you get my point.

Theology is just the study of opinion and an in-depth look at why a certain opinion is the right one.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to belittle all of the work you've done to earn your degree and I understand that, to be a pastor, you need to know more about the religion you're going to preach than your average pew-warmer.

BUT ... religion was meant to be relatively simple. An obvious proof for this involves the fact that there are no prerequisites for Bible study (other than basic literacy, I suppose). However, go buy yourself a 500-level biology textbook and see how much of it you understand. Uh huh ... I know I would be reeling after the first chapter because I don't have all of the background knowledge the textbook assumes you already have. But you don't need to take pre-Bible classes to learn how to read it - much less need to have a working knowledge of chemistry, physics, calculus, or other hardcore sciences.

You just can't compare theology with biology - you would have been on slightly (emphasis on "slightly") more solid ground if you had compared your theology degree with a literature degree, a journalism degree, or, perhaps, a history degree.

But the bottom line still remains that religion does not require any real specialized knowledge or else everyone would have to get a degree in theology in order to be right with God.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
No...I mean "think". It's mind-boggling the level of fundamentalism that some atheists hold to. It's a philosophy, and they are not willing to accept anything that goes against their philosophy.

I'm not accusing anyone in particular of trolling. I merely observed that it happens, and asked if you think it's appropriate.

I agree- some people will not engage in critical thinking. That goes for atheists as well as religious.
Perhaps so, for some atheists. For others, it is what makes them tick. For the religious is it a mechanissm that is regarded with distrust all through the Gospels. Unquestioning childlike faith is praised as the highest form of 'wisdom'. Even those (like masters degrees in Theology) who employ critical thinking are beaten before they start, because it is all confined to thinking within Dogma - combined boundaries.

Quote:
Again....that mincemeat is in the eye of the beholder.
As is denial of the fact.

Quote:
I wasn't really going to go there. But since you brought it up....why are you so worked up?
Not a bit of it.Simply a response to a provocative post. If anything... it is you getting worked up.
Quote:
It's amazing how tough some people are when they're sitting in their parents' basement posting on the internet instead of talking face to face.
You're not the first Christian who has said that we wouldn't dare to talk to you as we do if you were there to beat our faces in. Muscular Christianity.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Good morning, everyone!

This thread is closed as a result of having to deleted nearly two pages of insulting and rude posts.

THREAD CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.