Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill - CNN.com

"Arizona's Legislature has passed a controversial bill that would allow business owners, as long as they assert their religious beliefs, to deny service to gay and lesbian customers."

SICK OF IT - SICK OF IT

I'm sure most of you know where I stand on this. How does religious freedom include the choice to deny service to gays, blacks, middle easterners, (anyone for that matter that they make into a religious belief)?
Have a house party if you're a bigot and can't keep your religious beliefs to yourself, stop opening businesses that are suppose to serve society.

Moderator cut: delete

How many Christians really buy thisModerator cut: delete I'm sure you all don't agree with this.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-23-2014 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: took the words "calling all bigots' out of title and deleted political message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
No, I don't agree with it. If we Christians are going to deny service to gay people, then we should have everyone fill out a questionnaire.

Have you had an affair? Sorry, can't serve you.

Ever had an abortion? Sorry, can't serve you.

Ever had sex before marriage? Sorry, can't serve you.

Ever lie? Sorry....

This is a case of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I am so tired of judgmental, condemning Christians.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
We'll have to wait and see. The Governor said she's not sure this should be a law, and doesn't know yet if she'll sign it.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default God is working in Arizona, the "Religious Freedom" bill is on the table!

Our responsibility is to control ourselves, period. We have no business forcing others to conform to whatever we THINK our God wants from us. We have enough trouble controlling our own behaviors without trying to control others. I repeat: Humans have no business trying to enforce what they THINK God wants from us. That is God's role! We should not make laws to use the power of the state to enforce religious beliefs. Whether or not someone follows what we THINK God wants from us IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS!!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
If the Governor's spine and sense of ethics aren't squishy, she'll refuse to sign such a disgusting bill.

And if she does, I know at least a few Canadians who would stop vacationing in Arizona during Spring Training (and other times).

The true co$t of that stupendously stupid decision will quickly become apparent.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If the Governor's spine and sense of ethics aren't squishy, she'll refuse to sign such a disgusting bill.

And if she does, I know at least a few Canadians who would stop vacationing in Arizona during Spring Training (and other times).

The true co$t of that stupendously stupid decision will quickly become apparent.
Besides the fact that it won't withstand scrutiny by the courts. I think there are some other states that are considering similar bills. Is Arizona really such a deeply religious state that the majority of the citizens really think this is the right thing to do?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I hope it's not passed.Arizona will be known as a bigoted state.I understand freedom of speech but now it's freedom to serve who you chose? Seriously? ?? Money is money.How many times do we use criminal money? Mafia money? Money from other countries since they scratched our back we scratch theirs?

What if it was raking in the money from gays?

Honestly I thought we are beyond, "No Irish need to apply"...B.S.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
If any of you are curious how Jews feel about this law, go to the Judaism forum and look at my thread "Questions for Orthodox Jews".

In general, they are in favor of the law. They believe an Orthodox Jewish photographer should be able to refuse to take pictures at a Catholic wedding where there are idols everywhere.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If any of you are curious how Jews feel about this law, go to the Judaism forum and look at my thread "Questions for Orthodox Jews".

In general, they are in favor of the law. They believe an Orthodox Jewish photographer should be able to refuse to take pictures at a Catholic wedding where there are idols everywhere.
Coming from a long line of Catholics (and living with a Jewish woman) I believe I can say uncategorically, that no Catholic I know would have an Orthodox Jewish photographer high on the list of potential wedding photographers.

Likewise, nor would any Orthodox Jewish photographer I may theoretically know, seek out Catholic wedding gigs.

(And I know a lot of photographers.)

The comparison is not apt.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
It's really terrible for the state of Arizona, the NFL is already talking about removing the superbowl from the state if it passes.
Seeing who's come out as gay this year I can understand.

This is a real problem, and the fact that it got all the way to the governors desk is disturbing. We all thought she wouldn't pass 1070 either, so I don't think we can do anything but wait out her decision. I wouldn't put it past her to sign it.

I'm glad to see a lot of Christians against this bill.
It could potentially cause a lot of issues regarding not only the gay community but people of different religious backgrounds, atheists, and really anyone who doesn't fall in line with certain religious ways of seeing things.

I stated on the AZ thread that I bet the KKK is just drooling as they wait to see if this bill is passed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality