Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM

995 posts, read 957,650 times

Advertisements

So-let-me-get-this-straight- According to the Bible, "original sin" started with Eve biting the apple of knowledge between good and evil that "cursed" mankind. So, basically, just using your own sense of morality is at the root of all sin in man. Just seeking out knowledge between right and wrong is at the root of all that plagues all of mankind - And Jesus came to the world to be torchured to death to save us from that particular "sin". That means- Jesus gave his life to "save" us from our own moral compass, which the OT says is the root of all evil. So by claiming that Jesus "saved" me, I am admitting that I have given up my own moral compass for what the Bible says.

Hmmm, I think I would rather not be "saved". I think I would rather keep my integrity. But that is me. I am a Buddhist. Buddhism champions critical thinking. Buddha has a- disciprine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Does Buddhism also have a "coming of age" myth that speaks of growing up into a consciousness that there is good and bad in the world and that at some point we have a choice?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
So-let-me-get-this-straight- According to the Bible, "original sin" started with Eve biting the apple of knowledge between good and evil that "cursed" mankind. So, basically, just using your own sense of morality is at the root of all sin in man. Just seeking out knowledge between right and wrong is at the root of all that plagues all of mankind - And Jesus came to the world to be torchured to death to save us from that particular "sin". That means- Jesus gave his life to "save" us from our own moral compass, which the OT says is the root of all evil. So by claiming that Jesus "saved" me, I am admitting that I have given up my own moral compass for what the Bible says.

Hmmm, I think I would rather not be "saved". I think I would rather keep my integrity. But that is me. I am a Buddhist. Buddhism champions critical thinking. Buddha has a- disciprine.
I honestly don't know how traditional Christians would view your perspective. Mormonism, however, believes that Eve disobeyed God by doing something she had been told not to do, but that the end result was actually what God knew to be essential to her growth, Adam's growth and the progress of the entire human race. We believe that she ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil essentially in innocence, since she obviously did not know the difference between good and evil until after she ate. The whole purpose of life is to know the difference between good and evil and to learn to choose the good. You can't do that without a knowledge and understanding of the opposite forces at work in the world. So, for us, a knowledge of good and evil is the mechanism behind our own moral compass. It's what keeps it going.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I honestly don't know how traditional Christians would view your perspective. Mormonism, however, believes that Eve disobeyed God by doing something she had been told not to do, but that the end result was actually what God knew to be essential to her growth, Adam's growth and the progress of the entire human race. We believe that she ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil essentially in innocence, since she obviously did not know the difference between good and evil until after she ate. The whole purpose of life is to know the difference between good and evil and to learn to choose the good. You can't do that without a knowledge and understanding of the opposite forces at work in the world. So, for us, a knowledge of good and evil is the mechanism behind our own moral compass. It's what keeps it going.

She disobeyed God and instead decided to seek knowledge between what is right and what is wrong. Morally, isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to do? I can think of no reason why any God would tell anybody not to seek out knowledge between good and evil. Any God that would, would be hindering them and keeping them from doing the right thing and actually be enlightened to the right judgement. Without using a moral compass, we are left to believe Moses instead.

Original sin, which is biting the apple of knowledge of good and evil, is what Jesus came to be sacrificed over. So Jesus dying on the cross means I no longer have moral judgement, or a moral compass. I have been "saved" from it.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Does Buddhism also have a "coming of age" myth that speaks of growing up into a consciousness that there is good and bad in the world and that at some point we have a choice?
I don't know. Sounds like prophecy.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
She disobeyed God and instead decided to seek knowledge between what is right and what is wrong. Morally, isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to do? I can think of no reason why any God would tell anybody not to seek out knowledge between good and evil. Any God that would, would be hindering them and keeping them from doing the right thing and actually be enlightened to the right judgement. Without using a moral compass, we are left to believe Moses instead.
Evidently you missed my point or are just assuming that my belief corresponds to the traditional Christian belief (which it doesn't) and have attempted to make my words mean something I never said.

God told Adam and Eve, "Don't do this. There will be consequences for your disobedience." Then He allowed Lucifer to tempt them to do it anyway, by promising them godhood -- a pretty hard thing for anyone to resist. He knew they would disobey, and He knew that He would have to evict them from Eden and send them out into the real world where they could use their newly-found knowledge. He even said, as He gave them their punishment, that they'd become "as gods, knowing good from evil." He wanted them to have this knowledge. He also wanted them to realize that disobedience has its consequences. By eating the fruit, both aims were accomplished.

Original sin is what Jesus came to be sacrificed over. So by Jesus dying on the cross, I no longer have moral judgement. I have been "saved" from it.[/quote]I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what you're getting at. Maybe we're just misunderstanding one another, but I don't see Jesus' sacrifice as interfering with my moral judgment at all! We can try to actually understand one another, if you'd like, or you can just keep misinterpreting what I'm saying, if that would suit you better.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Evidently you missed my point or are just assuming that my belief corresponds to the traditional Christian belief (which it doesn't) and have attempted to make my words mean something I never said.

God told Adam and Eve, "Don't do this. There will be consequences for your disobedience." Then He allowed Lucifer to tempt them to do it anyway, by promising them godhood -- a pretty hard thing for anyone to resist. He knew they would disobey, and He knew that He would have to evict them from Eden and send them out into the real world where they could use their newly-found knowledge. He even said, as He gave them their punishment, that they'd become "as gods, knowing good from evil." He wanted them to have this knowledge. He also wanted them to realize that disobedience has its consequences. By eating the fruit, both aims were accomplished.

Original sin is what Jesus came to be sacrificed over. So by Jesus dying on the cross, I no longer have moral judgement. I have been "saved" from it. I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what you're getting at. Maybe we're just misunderstanding one another, but I don't see Jesus' sacrifice as interfering with my moral judgment at all! We can try to actually understand one another, if you'd like, or you can just keep misinterpreting what I'm saying, if that would suit you better.

That does't jibe. The Bible makes knowledge between good and bad as, not just an evil sin, but a sin that inflicted all of mankind through Eve's "disobedience" for ever seeking it to begin with. Let's just admit that Eve was doing what any morally upright person SHOULD do, and seek knowledge between good and evil, Instead of demonizing the entire human race for simply using a moral compass?

Jesus supposedly came to Earth to "save" man from original sin. That means to be "saved", means you no longer use a moral compass, because that is what original sin is- Having, or seeking out knowledge between what is good and what is bad.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That does't jibe. The Bible makes knowledge between good and bad as, not just an evil sin, but a sin that inflicted all of mankind through Eve's "disobedience" for ever seeking it to begin with. Let's just admit that Eve was doing what any morally upright person SHOULD do, and seek knowledge between good and evil, Instead of demonizing the entire human race for simply using a moral compass?
Well since I don't denomonize the entire human race for simply using a moral compass, I'll assume you're not talking to me. Mormons don't see Eve in the same light as the rest of Christians do.

Quote:
Jesus supposedly came to Earth to "save" man from original sin. That means to be "saved", means you no longer use a moral compass, because that is what original sin is- Having, or seeking out knowledge between what is good and what is bad.
To me, being saved doesn't mean that at all. Being saved means having the ability to repent when I do something wrong and, though my belief in Christ, not having to pay the punishment for it.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Well since I don't denomonize the entire human race for simply using a moral compass, I'll assume you're not talking to me. Mormons don't see Eve in the same light as the rest of Christians do.

To me, being saved doesn't mean that at all. Being saved means having the ability to repent when I do something wrong and, though my belief in Christ, not having to pay the punishment for it.

The BIBLE demonizes the entire human race through Eve's "disobedience", because God did not want her to develop a sense of morality.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:

No offense, but that seems immoral. You take refuge in the fact that a presumably sinless man was whipped, beaten, torchured, nailed to a cross, stabbed and left for dead. Thank God he was brutally murdered so that you can get away scott free! That's what it sounds like. "Thank you God, for murdering an innocent man, so that I may not feel your wrath when I sin against you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality