Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
Do you believe that if there is no god there is no suffering?
I believe that the Buddhist would say that to live = to suffer.
Life without suffering is just impossible.
I mean look at the act of giving birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by OakbackI believe that the Buddhist would say that to live = to suffer.
Life without suffering is just impossible.
I mean look at the act of giving birth.
So then, would you say that God does not cause suffering?

BTW; I've missed jousting you

Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
So then, would you say that God does not cause suffering?
Only when you believe that God is not responsible for your life.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Oakback Only when you believe that God is not responsible for your life.
Ok. I can see your gonna make me type alot.
So....do YOU believe that a "higher power" has some responsibility?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM

144 posts, read 399,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Do you believe that if there is no god there is no suffering?
I believe that if there is but one creator, then without it, there would be no suffering.

If only one being creates, then all that is real and perceived is directly related to that which does the creating.

So for me to believe in a monotheistic god, I would have to believe that without this god, suffering would not exist, along with all other things currently known. This wouldn't be a "bad" thing, as we wouldn't be here to contemplate it in the first place.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM

144 posts, read 399,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Ok. I can see your gonna make me type alot.
So....do YOU believe that a "higher power" has some responsibility?

A higher power has the uttmost of "responsibility". The more power one gives oneself "over others"(which, by the way, in and of itself is a problematic way of relating) the more responsibility.

Does a parent not have the responsibility to protect and serve their children, or is it the other way around? Shouldn't a god have the responsibility of respecting and serving his children, as he is the one who has given himself power "over" them? In short, no creator god is inherently more powerful than his creation. A creator god must create his creation to be inferior to him if he is to remain "the most powerful". To me, this entire concept is flawed. Why intentionally create something inferior to yourself unless you have complex?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Quote:
Good question, I've always been a bit miffed by this one. Especially since I was taught God is Perfect and everything he creates is Good. And yet two of his experiments went horribly wrong---one was the Lucifer angel who clearly was anything but and then there was Man, the lesser, dumber version of his Angels who also went astray. So clearly...God wasn't perfect then if he screwed up twice? Or is the third time the charm?
Hi, nothing went wrong if this is the way that God designed it or planned it. God knew what would happen and nothing caught Him off guard or messed up His plan. He did not make any mistakes. I believe that the devil sinned from beginning and I believe that God created the crafty serpent. He placed everything right there in the garden and knew exactly what Adam and Eve would do. He intended for all of it to happen and we are learning in the process. We wouldn't know what good is without the experience of evil. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-20-2007 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,647,040 times
maybe the second thoughts you are speaking of "what if god exists?" "what if i am wrong?" is because some people try to stay open minded no matter what. it would be nice if we could ALL try the open mind thing occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Your attitude is typical of the atheist. These laughs are just a way to cover up your insecurities because what I have said must have made some sense to you. What is interesting about atheists is that very few have strong convictions. They might ridicule the God and the Bible, but they always have second thoughts "What if God exists, What if I am wrong!?" By ridiculing God and the Bible, atheists are trying to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. The reason why being a believer is so important is that if the believer is wrong and God doesn’t exist, then nothing has been lost; on the other hand, if the atheist is wrong and God does exist, then your whole existence will amount to nothing. This is the kind of stuff I would not play with.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM

57 posts, read 133,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Last I checked, it was the Christians that would go far as killing throngs of people and throwing scientists in jail for challenging their beliefs. The Crusades weren't really that long ago, you know.
The Spanish inquisition killed 2000 people over a period of 350 years. By contrast, atheist tyrants like Mao and Stalin and Pol Pot killed tens of millions within the space of a few decades.

If we hold religious regimes responsible for the crimes done in God's name, we should hold atheist regimes responsible for the crimes done in the name of creating an atheist utopia. Let's not blame religion not only for its own offenses but also for the offenses done by atheists on behalf of an atheist ideology.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoatlanta View Post
I believe that if there is but one creator, then without it, there would be no suffering.

If only one being creates, then all that is real and perceived is directly related to that which does the creating.

So for me to believe in a monotheistic god, I would have to believe that without this god, suffering would not exist, along with all other things currently known. This wouldn't be a "bad" thing, as we wouldn't be here to contemplate it in the first place.
spoken as a good theist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality