Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I don't pay anyone any money? Haven't thought this through much have you.
Tithes and alms? Common all "true beleevurs" do this
Quote:
I've read two of the late Fr. Jaki's books. I'm hazarding a guess with two Ph.D.'s, one in theology, and one in physics, and numerous published books, he was capable of and did put in an honest days work.
Congratulations, you read books how quaint. What has any of this to do with what I stated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Quote:
You know most atheists on earth?

I don't regard democracy as all that greater than any other form of government, even though democratization occurred in the Christianized West first. I'm not speaking of ancient Greece or even of the small Republican city-states that use to exist in Italy like the Republic of Venice. But I'm speaking mainly post-birth United States.

Democratization first occurred in the Protestant nations, then Catholic, and then the Western powers pressured or thrust democracy upon the Buddhist and Hindu East. Currently, the United State government is running a secular jihad across the global to create its so-called "Third Wave of Democratization" by getting the Muslim East to institute democracy as the rule of government.

Your rendition of Christianity and Christians is one in which the Western world trails the Eastern world in science, innovation, philosophy of law, and has yet to democratize. Given so many people today--agnostics and atheists included--prize democracy to an almost idolatrous level. Then again, Americans in general be they religious, atheist, or agnostic seem to really despise democracy especially as exercised in state's rights. Cognitive dissonance. Most Republican seem to prefer a one party run nation. Most Democrats seem to prefer a one party run nation. Democracy is rule by the majority. Where does the agnostic or atheist or liberal stand when it comes to state rights exercised through the majority rule ballot process? They oppose it to teach and indoctrinate the population in the morality of homosexuality being a moral good. So, said agnostics and atheist want a big federal government that opposes democracy, majority rule voting process, in the states on marital laws regarding a minority sexual orientation. A totalitarianism.

Also, by definition God is almighty and superior in intelligence to humans, the creation of God. So, a human can not claim o be more moral or intelligent or powerful than God without that human falling into the sins of vanity and envy.

Envy being distinguished from jealousy. Jealousy being the desire to have what another has. Envy being the desire to see another lose his or her good or excellence because you feel that their loss will help increase your own good or excellence. Like seeking to decrease the good and morality of God by insinuating your own superiority in good and morality.

Yes, I have no qualms in believing it is quite possible God can damn souls to eternity in hell for not worshiping him.

Again, jealousy being the desire to have what another has. Like a woman desiring that her husband's romantic love and sex life with another woman be an intimacy due only to her from him.

God may be a jealous God in this sense. In the sense of what God regards due to Him. That's possible. And If Jesus is God and did suffer and die for us, then Jesus is due more honor than Buddha or Obama.
This seems to be a whole lot of prattling. Government and politics have nothing to do with the fact the biblical god is the most abominably vile character in all of fiction. This monk's supposed NDE only supports the fact the god of the bible is the height of evil. It says god doesn't give a wit about how someone lives their life. All god cares about is what you believe. The Buddhists this monk supposedly saw were probably kind and decent people, just like most nonbelievers are. This doesn't matter to the biblical god, however. The god of bible deserves as much honor as a cube of tofu.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 10-03-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This seems to be a whole lot of prattling. Government and politics have nothing to do with the fact the biblical god is the most abominably vile character in all of fiction. This monk's supposed NDE only supports the fact the god of the bible is the height of evil. It says god doesn't give a wit about how someone lives their life. All god cares about is what you believe. The Buddhists this monk supposedly saw were probably kind and decent people, just like most nonbelievers are. This doesn't matter to the biblical god, however. The god of bible deserves as much honor as a cube of tofu.
You seem to have a rather passionate hate for a God you say doesn't even exist.

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-03-2013 at 04:18 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Tithes and alms? Common all "true beleevurs" do this
I don't give any money to Churches. I don't even attend Mass (which is technically a mortal sin). I should be doing both, and screwing around is not helping me. It's a dangerous game I play.

Quote:
Congratulations, you read books how quaint. What has any of this to do with what I stated?
You insinuated that priests are only capable of being priests and not intelligent enough or disciplined enough to secure any other kind of job. Fr. Jaki was on historical, biographical, example dispelling that notion. His book Brain, Mind and Computers was a book about Artificial Intelligence. Physics is one of the most difficult subject to study in college let alone to obtain a Ph.D. in, so, having doctoral degrees in theology and physics indicates he was an intellectually driven man.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I don't give any money to Churches. I don't even attend Mass (which is technically a mortal sin). I should be doing both, and screwing around is not helping me. It's a dangerous game I play.
Not really, the best premarital sex I has was with a Catholic girl
Quote:
You insinuated that priests are only capable of being priests and not intelligent enough or disciplined enough to secure any other kind of job. Fr. Jaki was on historical, biographical, example dispelling that notion. His book Brain, Mind and Computers was a book about Artificial Intelligence. Physics is one of the most difficult subject to study in college let alone to obtain a Ph.D. in, so, having doctoral degrees in theology and physics indicates he was an intellectually driven man.
Yes I did and you find one exception. This is an appeal to authority. My assertion was more in the blue collar type of work. All the ones I came into contact with would have made good second hand car salesmen and that is about it. It really is not difficult to get a degree in theology when there are so many diploma mills out there.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Not really, the best premarital sex I has was with a Catholic girl

Yes I did and you find one exception. This is an appeal to authority. My assertion was more in the blue collar type of work. All the ones I came into contact with would have made good second hand car salesmen and that is about it. It really is not difficult to get a degree in theology when there are so many diploma mills out there.
I presented several examples (three examples), not one. Your arithmetic is wanting.

Actually, getting a degree in Catholic theology is a bit difficult, in terms of credits needed at least. First of all your need your bachelor degree, secondly, it takes about as many credits to get a master's degree in Catholic theology as it does to get a bachelor degree in any subject at a state university. Master degrees in regular secular subjects at state universities require a lot less credits than bachelor degrees.

And I did not make an appeal to authority. An appeal to authority is saying X is true because the Pope says it's true, or Y is true because Richard Dawkins says it's true.

What I did was provide three separate examples of priests that contradict your assertions of what priests look like intellectually and professionally.

And I'm not sure why you presume blue collar work as some epitome of labor? Blue collar jobs span a wide range of types. A good many of them are entry-level, non-skilled, assembly work that requires a person standing on a belt fed line placing something on objects coming by. Something 7 year old kid could do.

Bus drivers are blue collar. Security guards are blue collar. And some of the highest paid, brainless, blue collar work are city jobs on road construction that has some woman holding a sign all day long for $15 or $17 and hour.

Teaching in university and grading essays and papers--let alone mathematical formulas from students solving word problems in physics--takes a lot more focus and laboring of the brain (which burns calories when stressed in enough mental labor) than standing outside hold a sign during road construction.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Well I am a blue collar worker and there are few folk with degrees that can do what I can. Perhaps your US definition of blue collar is different to the Brit culture and ALL of the pastors I came into contact with were blue collar folk that got a degree or doctorate of sorts from some diploma mill.

Did I mention I was an instructor at one time? Yes I trained people, engineers, technicians and apprentices but these are the folk that keep stuff like your power stations and water utilities running. W/o them you would be lost and your laptop or iPhone would fail to work or even be manufactured w/o their skills.

The folk you allude to as blue collar, here we call them unskilled or semi skilled workers probably something like your Mexican folks run of the mill jobs.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 AM

995 posts, read 956,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Buddha in Buddhism is supposed to travel to the Hell realms to continue saving people from suffering, delusion, and lack of enlightenment. Unlike the crazed Jewish rebel Jesus, the Buddha actually demonstrates compassion by being willing to save all through education and eternal patience.

Also, many Christians have dreams of Jesus still suffering in Hell, for that is where a hypocrite deva would be for commiting the fiendish act of assisted human suicide / blood sacrifise.
(sorry it's so long)
When I started going online as the Rider, I became very close to Jesus in Heaven. He was the face I put to God. He was the face of God. I had many visions of him, he would come to me and talk to me, as he helped me start up my ministry, and from the beginning, I saw signs that made me scratch my head. The first of these visions was of Jesus eating the proverbial apple, planting the seed of sin in man, and it went from there. I was at war on the inside over it. There was an Armageddon in my personal Heaven, because Jesus WAS my God, and I had to transform my idea of what I thought God is . I remember I was questioning Jesus, and in a vision he changed. His face went from a strong, heroic look, to a wimpy, weak ugly face. His appearance changed in Heaven as I learned more about the truth of him. Every time I learned something new about the truth to him, I would also have a vision from God backing me up on it. The last vision I had of Jesus was him telling me "You will do better". I have seen him sobbing, saying "I didn't have the strength (to go after Moses)", whatever that means. I am faced to question the idea that either Jesus is pure fictional, or he was real, and the NT is a biased media that lies about his ministry, OR the NT is pretty much spot on and Jesus was exactly who he was in the NT, and the visions I have point to the latter. The Jesus in Heaven IS the Jesus from the NT as far as I can tell. He ignored the horrible atrocities in the OT and praised Moses and YHWH, and he was wrong. He is responsible for taking a doctrine of terrorism that oppressed the Jews, and unleashed it upon all of mankind(biting the "apple"). He is not only NOT the savior to the Jews, he also helped to imprison, enslave, and severely weigh down all the rest of the planet. Jesus, and/or people mindlessly following him, has been the cause of horrible suffering over the ages. Jesus makes a person lose their moral compass, and then it takes over, and eventually somewhere in the world, terrorism, dictatorship, tyranny, slavery...etc... is born and thrives, and grows in power because of it. The actions and teachings of the OT MUST be condemned or else it will thrive. YHWH gains power from people showering him with respect, and ignoring his awful evil. Jesus was NOT there for us. He is a deliverance of eternal love and performed miracles on behalf of YHWH (Satan).

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 10-03-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
While I do not subscribe to men circumventing God's design, the fact of the matter is, a great many folk that are in ministry are highly educated ,some even engineers from the space program .
Often it takes a severe event to reach certain folk ,having come to the end of their self and no where else to look but to God.
In some folk , that event is a revelation something much greater exists, but the decision still rests on the individual as to if he will yield to God, or simply abuse the opportunity and blow it off, or take it the other way and make a living on it.
Having been witness to these people and their experience ,seeing the change in their life even at a young age I was able to comprehend the advantage in making things right with God long before I got into serious trouble.
As a result, I have known God's intervention, provision, guidance, and healing most of my life.
Because I choose to obey God in my every day life I have peace with Him.
Merely having an education is of little consequence ,compared to one with an obedient relationship .
Not that being ignorant is of any advantage ,however there are times God does things that defy science and natural laws ,and those with their dependency on mans intellect, often find them selves in conflict with simple instruction, thus their ability to obey is at risk.
I assure you there will be no disobedience in heaven , no liars in heaven, no false teachers in heaven.
God does not compromise with rebellion, but for man he has made a provision to turn from rebellion to obedience . Jesus made this possible both in His sacrifice and the provision of the Holy Spirit of God to teach man in Jesus place, God's will.
The scriptures are a beginning but not the end, nor do they contain all there is to know, God will reveal for the individual in due season.
As for those that choose to remain in rebellion God is not obligated to do any thing for, but let them fallow their natural course . With out a living spirit, man's eternal soul has nothing to sustain it, much like argon gas ,once released, continues into the earth being heavier than air. Eventually to it's core. What is the core of the earth?
How would ancient man know that ?
One final observation,
The old testament speaks of hell as ever expanding , in contrast, Revelations in the new testament speaks of heaven a fixed size.
Jesus said it is a narrow way and few there be that find it . Hence this is why I share that
God is more concerned with obedience than knowledge.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM

995 posts, read 956,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
While I do not subscribe to men circumventing God's design, the fact of the matter is, a great many folk that are in ministry are highly educated ,some even engineers from the space program .
Often it takes a severe event to reach certain folk ,having come to the end of their self and no where else to look but to God.
In some folk , that event is a revelation something much greater exists, but the decision still rests on the individual as to if he will yield to God, or simply abuse the opportunity and blow it off, or take it the other way and make a living on it.
Having been witness to these people and their experience ,seeing the change in their life even at a young age I was able to comprehend the advantage in making things right with God long before I got into serious trouble.
As a result, I have known God's intervention, provision, guidance, and healing most of my life.
Because I choose to obey God in my every day life I have peace with Him.
Merely having an education is of little consequence ,compared to one with an obedient relationship .
Not that being ignorant is of any advantage ,however there are times God does things that defy science and natural laws ,and those with their dependency on mans intellect, often find them selves in conflict with simple instruction, thus their ability to obey is at risk.
I assure you there will be no disobedience in heaven , no liars in heaven, no false teachers in heaven.
God does not compromise with rebellion, but for man he has made a provision to turn from rebellion to obedience . Jesus made this possible both in His sacrifice and the provision of the Holy Spirit of God to teach man in Jesus place, God's will.
The scriptures are a beginning but not the end, nor do they contain all there is to know, God will reveal for the individual in due season.
As for those that choose to remain in rebellion God is not obligated to do any thing for, but let them fallow their natural course . With out a living spirit, man's eternal soul has nothing to sustain it, much like argon gas ,once released, continues into the earth being heavier than air. Eventually to it's core. What is the core of the earth?
How would ancient man know that ?
One final observation,
The old testament speaks of hell as ever expanding , in contrast, Revelations in the new testament speaks of heaven a fixed size.
Jesus said it is a narrow way and few there be that find it . Hence this is why I share that
God is more concerned with obedience than knowledge.

That is the philosophy of YHWH and Allah. Submit. Knowledge of the truth about what is right and what is wrong only makes Allah and YHWH weaker. Because they are VERY much in the wrong. When you say "obedient", you mean obedient to YHWH and Allah, I take it. The God/Gods of the far east is the opposite of that, where knowledge and freedom is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality