Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Well, I'm a Christian who identifies as Baptist. And if an Athiest came to my door to spread their "good news" I'd do with them what I do when a JW or LDS comes to my door... I'd invite you in and talk with you and I'd give you the reasons why I disagree and then show you why I believe what I believe and try to help you see things from my POV.
are you sure you'd do that? would you do that ONLY so that you could try to turn them into a christian?

Old 11-17-2007, 12:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I agree mams, but my question is what would their good news be? you use to be a monkey and now your a monkeys uncle and the end is the end.
maybe the good news would be more along the lines of "you are in control of your destiny/life, you are allowed to make choices and you should try your best to be a decent human because it is the right thing to do not because god or the bible says so."

Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,343 times
We can't turn people into christians....that's between you and God, unless, of course, you don't believe in God and then it's irrelevant anyway. All we can do is share what we know and leave the rest to you, simple as that. It's your choice.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:55 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I agree mams, but my question is what would their good news be? you use to be a monkey and now your a monkeys uncle and the end is the end.
Ahhh.... the beauty of America's education system.....

Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,523,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
We can't turn people into christians....that's between you and God, unless, of course, you don't believe in God and then it's irrelevant anyway. All we can do is share what we know and leave the rest to you, simple as that. It's your choice.
Every single religion that has ever existed has claimed or claims to be the one right true only religion. All say that.
All make the claim, but none have proof.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Every single religion that has ever existed has claimed or claims to be the one right true only religion. All say that. All make the claim, but none have proof.
That's why you have free will/choice to decide for yourself. Proof is another issue which delves into faith but many don't believe anyway so it doesn't matter.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
How about this one?

Native, that's the sign I have on my door with "Freedom From Religion" typed in large letters under it. Takes up an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper but does no good, obviously.

I think sometimes we go expecting to be yelled and screamed at and that puts us at a disadvantage emotionally and spiritually because we are already anticipating a rebuttal. However, did not Christ Himself say that we should "love one another as I have loved you?" It seems to me that this concept today extends only to family and our close circle of friends. People are tired of telling christians to leave them alone. We're tired of your smug judgment. Some of you choose not to get it, we want to be left alone. No one in the US today is unable to find a church. If we want one, we'll go to it. Leave us alone. How difficult is that?

I do want to clarify my original post and state that I'm very happy to know some of the christians on this board who are open-minded, non-judgmental and absolutely the type of christian who shows me they're christian by their actions. I hope more people follow your example.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post

Of course you can. You hold the tip of a sword blade under their chins. You torture them on the rack. You burn down their neighbor's hut. Etc.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
I spend a bit of time in the foothills of the Himalayas every year. Let me tell you what I observe...

A village, any normal indigenous village with animists; their language is oral. It's centuries old. There are children playing, hard work farming and feeding a family, living traditionally. If any language other than their own is known, it is Thai, Lao, Burmese or Chinese. Children are abundant, they are shy and inquisitive.

In come the christians to convert these heathens who have lived peacefully for their history. The first difference I see is that kids have their hands out when you come to their village. In my experience over the last few decades, this occurs only in christian villages. The christians offer "things" to get people to convert. They offer education, but only if you go to the political center and register as "christian" - they will stay a while until many people are "converted" and then abandon the village to be back on their own. The villagers revert to their animist beliefs. They were christian only to get the things that the christians offered to make their lives easier.

It looks good on paper that there are now x number of christians in this country, but it's a sham, and most of the christians are only interested in numbers, not in the people.

Personally, I find it really disgusting.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Of course you can. You hold the tip of a sword blade under their chins. You torture them on the rack. You burn down their neighbor's hut.
That's a pretty broad, archaic brush you are painting with. Is anyone here doing that to you? Is anyone here who is christian trying to force anyone who doesn't believe in God to bow down and kneel or else? I don't see it.

What I do see are folks who are passionate about what they believe having a great discussion. Sure, there are those who are extremists and those who are more moderate found in each camp. What it comes down to is respect and there are a lot more christians who can be considered respectful than you think and I'm sure the same can be said about atheists and other groups. They do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality