Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM

530 posts, read 904,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Excellent point. Moderator cut: deleted

When did TD Jakes become a modalist? He's a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
When did TD Jakes become a modalist? He's a Christian.
He has publicly stated it, and he refuses to affirm the doctrine of the Trinity.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 PM

1,980 posts, read 1,947,851 times
the trinity which is invented at the council of Nicaea in 325 C.E.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM

794 posts, read 847,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Of course we value the world more than an undefinable, unverifiable, non-falsifiable, nonexistent soul and mystical eternity. What's unbelievable is that anyone who would live his/her life in expectations of such without any evidence, ignoring the one true life and world that is evident.
Its called faith. We have the perfect word of God to believe in and place our faith.

2 Corinthians 4:18 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Its called faith. We have the perfect word of God to believe in and place our faith.

2 Corinthians 4:18 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for , the evidence of things not seen .

In other words, have faith in what you hope for. Do you apply this method to everything in your life? Would you see a car advertised on Craigslist and mail the money to the advertiser with faith that he'll bring it to you and be as advertised? How about the first time your child drove a vehicle? We all hope that he/she will be a safe driver. Would you hand him/her the keys with faith that he/she would drive safely? Of course not. Why would you apply faith to an even more critical subject as how you live your life? How can you teach this to young children?

Can you point me to this "perfect word of God"? I'd like to analyse it a bit before accepting it as perfect.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
the trinity which is invented at the council of Nicaea in 325 C.E.
That might be another topic for debate, but it's considered orthodox Christian doctrine. Jakes does not affirm it. He is a Modalist.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for , the evidence of things not seen .

In other words, have faith in what you hope for. Do you apply this method to everything in your life? Would you see a car advertised on Craigslist and mail the money to the advertiser with faith that he'll bring it to you and be as advertised? How about the first time your child drove a vehicle? We all hope that he/she will be a safe driver. Would you hand him/her the keys with faith that he/she would drive safely? Of course not. Why would you apply faith to an even more critical subject as how you live your life? How can you teach this to young children?

Can you point me to this "perfect word of God"? I'd like to analyse it a bit before accepting it as perfect.
Jesus said worry is the greatest cause of distress in a person's life. The best thing to do in any situation is don't worry. Everyone in the bible who trusted God came out more than victorious. Everyone who did not suffered when they did not have to, even died in many cases. Self righteousness, or pride, tells us we don't need God. In the bible, these kind of people were called the Pharisees. In their case, they wanted God but did not see the need for Jesus and they received Jesus' strongest rebuke.

The reason I apply faith to something so much bigger than all of the things you mentioned is because it is so much bigger than me. I trust Jesus to save me as He said He did. This is something beyond my control without the intervention of a higher power and so I made my choice and put my faith in Him. This universe is not here by accident. If it is created, it must have a creator and the bible says God was not created as He has always been. Time is a creation of God. We live in time, so we cannot compare creation or the happenings therein to the Creator. The bible also speaks of using your brain, literally, in everyday life. The bible says wisdom is more valuable than gold because you can lose gold, but wisdom can cause you to get it back or gain more. So in the situations you mentioned we use our wisdom. We would tag along for the first few rides of our child's driving journey but there comes a point where you gotta let the kid grow up and trust God. I believe worry is a barrier to peace and a stress free life. Not just because the bible says that, but because its also true in of itself.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,384 times
Quote:
Jesus said worry is the greatest cause of distress in a person's life. The best thing to do in any situation is don't worry. Everyone in the bible who trusted God came out more than victorious. Everyone who did not suffered when they did not have to, even died in many cases. Self righteousness, or pride, tells us we don't need God. In the bible, these kind of people were called the Pharisees. In their case, they wanted God but did not see the need for Jesus and they received Jesus' strongest rebuke.

The reason I apply faith to something so much bigger than all of the things you mentioned is because it is so much bigger than me. I trust Jesus to save me as He said He did. This is something beyond my control without the intervention of a higher power and so I made my choice and put my faith in Him. This universe is not here by accident. If it is created, it must have a creator and the bible says God was not created as He has always been. Time is a creation of God. We live in time, so we cannot compare creation or the happenings therein to the Creator. The bible also speaks of using your brain, literally, in everyday life. The bible says wisdom is more valuable than gold because you can lose gold, but wisdom can cause you to get it back or gain more. So in the situations you mentioned we use our wisdom. We would tag along for the first few rides of our child's driving journey but there comes a point where you gotta let the kid grow up and trust God. I believe worry is a barrier to peace and a stress free life. Not just because the bible says that, but because its also true in of itself.
Again, where is the perfect word or God?

Do you realize how many fallacious arguments you made in this post?
1. God of the Gaps. Simply because science doesn't have an answer as to how the Big Bang was triggered, does not imply a god, much less the Christian god.
2. Circular Argument. Using the Bible to prove the Bible.
3. We don't use wisdom for these situations, we use evidence. If we use evidence for these relatively minor situations, why do we push evidence (or wisdom as you believe) aside when deciding how we live our lives. Faith is not a path to truth, but gullibility.

I agree with you about worry and its effects. That's one reason that atheism provides a much more worry-free life. I'm not worried that my friends and/or family might die and be punished for Adam and Eve's sins. I have no worries about the afterlife but can focus on making this life the best I can. Besides, I don't have to worry about getting up early on Sunday mornings.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Again, where is the perfect word or God?

Do you realize how many fallacious arguments you made in this post?
1. God of the Gaps. Simply because science doesn't have an answer as to how the Big Bang was triggered, does not imply a god, much less the Christian god.
2. Circular Argument. Using the Bible to prove the Bible.
3. We don't use wisdom for these situations, we use evidence. If we use evidence for these relatively minor situations, why do we push evidence (or wisdom as you believe) aside when deciding how we live our lives. Faith is not a path to truth, but gullibility.

I agree with you about worry and its effects. That's one reason that atheism provides a much more worry-free life. I'm not worried that my friends and/or family might die and be punished for Adam and Eve's sins. I have no worries about the afterlife but can focus on making this life the best I can. Besides, I don't have to worry about getting up early on Sunday mornings.
If you want to see the perfection of God's word you're going to have to hear it preached in its context. Most people preach based on their understanding of God which is why there is more rebellion against God than people coming to Him. I can give you videos to show it preached in its context that I believe would greatly enlighten you, but would you be willing to watch them? They are all short 5-10 minute videos.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,407,338 times
Quote:
If you want to see the perfection of God's word you're going to have to hear it preached in its context. Most people preach based on their understanding of God which is why there is more rebellion against God than people coming to Him. I can give you videos to show it preached in its context that I believe would greatly enlighten you, but would you be willing to watch them? They are all short 5-10 minute videos.
Of course, you mean he's preaching in the context of HIS understanding of God. Which means he's no different than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality