Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,264,439 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Travelling fella
Quote:
Imho we are all delusional, but we don't notice until we meet people that don't share our delusion.
True.
Maybe it is just I who is insane, because I sometimes believe that the whole world can only be insane for doing the things they keep doing......over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,317,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by june 7th Odd.
Wouldn't that be the same as saying that faith itself can be insane (invented by a delusional person), but that it is okay as long as it can be rationalised?
So as long as the religion was able to rationalise the visions from a delusional source, it is okay?
What is than the difference between a delusional person and a not delusional person?
I'm not sure that "faith" can arise out of reason, alone. Faith, per se, isn't exactly "logical" or even rational. I think that applying reason somehow undercuts the very nature of "faith." However, in organizing faith into a rational context, it becomes far more reasonable.

Certain types of individuals who are psychotic experience religious delusions as a componant of their psychosis. The difference is that those who are psychotic are not "rational." They have a thought disorder. As such, if you put ten schizophrenic people in a room together, they will not be able to discuss their religious delusions with one another. They do not have the real capacity to enter into one another's delusions. That is not the case with "normal" people. Ten "normal" people in a room are capable of having a very reasonable and rational conversation around the shared topic of "faith."

Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,456,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I'm not sure that "faith" can arise out of reason, alone. Faith, per se, isn't exactly "logical" or even rational. I think that applying reason somehow undercuts the very nature of "faith." However, in organizing faith into a rational context, it becomes far more reasonable.

Certain types of individuals who are psychotic experience religious delusions as a componant of their psychosis. The difference is that those who are psychotic are not "rational." They have a thought disorder. As such, if you put ten schizophrenic people in a room together, they will not be able to discuss their religious delusions with one another. They do not have the real capacity to enter into one another's delusions. That is not the case with "normal" people. Ten "normal" people in a room are capable of having a very reasonable and rational conversation around the shared topic of "faith."
Awesome response June, and very rational too

So could it be that we need a bit of reason to have faith? otherwise it would be pure insanity. But add reason to the equation and then you have faith whether is faith in spirit or not, like someone else mentioned you can have faith that this will be your lucky day, or have faith that rain won't fall today, you can also might have very good reasons to have faith in that and sometimes that faith is so strong that things do happen, that makes faith, true faith a powerful force imho

just a humble idea

Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by june 7th
Quote:
That is not the case with "normal" people. Ten "normal" people in a room are capable of having a very reasonable and rational conversation around the shared topic of "faith."
True, but there are people who want to be crucified for some (religious?) reason. Like they do in the Philippines.
I dunno, I do not find this behaviour 'normal' tho.

Caution, pictures shown here are not for the feint at heart:
BBC News | ASIA-PACIFIC | In pictures: Philippines crucifixions

Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,456,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7thTrue, but there are people who want to be crucified for some (religious?) reason. Like they do in the Philippines.

Hmmm imho that would be faith without reason or fanatism, who agrees?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,572,940 times
[quote=june 7th;1960342]I don't feel that "faith" is rational. But I do feel that the organizing of it, the belief systems that are created around faith are. They need to be.[/quotI

Imo, faith is rational, and my belief is rational..It makes little difference to me whether anyone else thinks I am rational or not..I think the irrationality comes from the belief systems of mass amounts of people seeking answers from each other instead of from God..

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Travelling fella
Quote:
Hmmm imho that would be faith without reason or fanatism, who agrees?
Well the violence is only focused inwards and not on others and I suspect that they do this for a reason.
I mean maybe they want to be crucified as some sort of repentance or they want to be crucified because they believe that God will then smile favourably upon them or something.
I mean they must at least be (very?) desperate for something in order to go through the trial of a crucifixion.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,572,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7thTrue, but there are people who want to be crucified for some (religious?) reason. Like they do in the Philippines.

I never could decide if God is pleased with this or not..IMO, Jesus was the sacrifice..The final one..He would maybe be more pleased if we would talk about why he was on the cross and what it means for us..God sees us in pain each day be cause of sin..Why would he be pleased at self torture? No loving Father would be pleased watching his child deliberately hurting himself thinking he was pleasing Him

Old 11-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by blue62
Quote:
No loving Father would be pleased watching his child deliberately hurting himself thinking he was pleasing Him
True, but the problem here is that it involves Christians, Roman Catholics to be specific, who believe that God is sacrificing his son who also is God.
The fact of God sacrificing Himself doesn't make sense, because God is the beginning and the end, so He cannot sacrifice Himself.
If God would truly sacrifice Himself it would mean the end of creation.
So to me, the concept of the Holy Trinity makes the sacrifice of Jesus completely illogical. This is why I don't believe that Jesus is God, only that he was truly inspired by God.
So Jesus as the truth became a path to God, like Ghandi, Muhammad, Buddha or whoever and whatever else became inspired by the truth.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,317,255 times
Perhaps within certain cultural contexts, when faith is turned inwards for seemingly outward gain, it thus becomes irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality