Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

16 posts, read 14,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yep. See the "No atheists in foxholes" thread. Proven to the contrary, curious....

Why would I waste my time in some difficult, possibly lethal situation praying or calling out to Santa Clau...er...God? He certainly won't offer any help at all, and I'd be better using that time to check out any other potential options. If there truly were none, then hey: I'd just wait it out. Maybe sing a song....

I don't buy into that silly "Oh... but what if you're wrong?" Pascalian fantasy.

Perhaps this is aimed at those who do not approach life logically or realistically? OK then. Their loss.
ha ha point taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curioushuman View Post
what really needs to be asked is where did atoms come from as they started it all in the first place right ?
If you are actually a curious man this is probably not the best place to learn about the big bang. In the beginning the heat was too intense for atoms to exist. Atoms came into existence hundreds of thousands of years later... Naming the event "big bang" was a poor choice. There was no explosion, but just an expansion of time and space that continues to this day.

Big Bang Theory - Crystalinks

Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Personally i think it was the aliens Relax rifle do you feel the need to belittle someone to make yourself feel important or superior ? you just proved one of my points that alot humans are too arrogant to admit when they are wrong. I was making suggestive remarks. And yes i have basic knowledge but i am definitely not a rocket scientist, riddle me this then since you say you have all the credentials to speak your mind and i do not, where did the atom come from or if the big bang required space, mass and energy then how did these elements just appear ?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
The expansion did not occur in space, the expansion is what created the space.
I'd recommend checking out this video. It's a little dated but really explains it well.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...ductId=1859428

Old 07-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Your questions indicate that you do not have even basic knowledge, and obviously since I provided not only a link, but a detailed graphic that answered your questions, which you have totally ignored. You have no interest in learning...You should change your name...Curious you are not.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
evolution...if there is an advantage to being a certain size to fill an underutilized niche then they evolved to fill it...if there is a disadvantage to being large, then they evolved to be smaller.
For instance, there were mammoths living on wrangel island less than 4000 years ago, but they only stood about 6 feet high, compared to mammoths on the mainland that stood 16 feet tall. Because they were isolated on an island with a limited food supply they evolved to be smaller. This is common even today...blacktail deer on the queen charlotte islands are much smaller than their mainland cousins.

How do you figure that, when we are on the menu of so many? If we had not invented shelters and weapons we would be on the menu of many more. Up until they began becoming rare, in the late 1800's, tigers were killing nearly 1,000 people a year in india alone. Even today, man eating tigers kill upwards of 80 people a year in india.

Dinos, like mammals came in all sizes, and it wasn't their size that doomed them...in fact the theory is that many evolved into the birds we see today

how can you say it failed? Look around you. Everything that you see including yourself came from that first spark of life billions of years ago.

What magic? Magic does not exist except in the imaginations of men.
tigers ?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Default Yep; that's what we say alright: something outa nothing! Yep!

Quote:
Personally i think it was the aliens Relax rifle do you feel the need to belittle someone to make yourself feel important or superior ? you just proved one of my points that alot humans are too arrogant to admit when they are wrong. I was making suggestive remarks. And yes i have basic knowledge but i am definitely not a rocket scientist, riddle me this then since you say you have all the credentials to speak your mind and i do not, where did the atom come from or if the big bang required space, mass and energy then how did these elements just appear ?
Oh trust me: I know what it feels like to be regularly belittled by the ignorant and intransigent dogmo-theists who surface here and make accusatory and insulting remarks about my chosen professions, which, except for my current hobby of raising chickens, are all scientific or engineering based. As in: logic and science, as opposed to emotion-driven and denialist. I've been shot at (metaphorically) by too many dogmo-theists here, and so I shoot back. With known knowledge and facts.

In fact, I encourage you to speak your mind. But I don't try to give Christians lessons on biblical philosophy or history, now do I? What if I simply declared all the bible to be a proven lie written by Germans, simply because I don't like it? What credibility would I have then? And yet, I'm told almost daily that Evolution is just that and worse. And then they say things like: "Evolution tries to say that we all came from apes, or from nothing! There's no evidence for Evolution!"

Really? Is that what Evolution says? Really? And there's absolutely no evidence at all? Really?

As then so often happens, theists call me arrogant, but I know they just don't have a better argument. or any argument at all!

Tell you what, curious:

Let's try this on you (we've tried it on lots of other theists...):

As in: Pick one aspect, one key established element of Evolution and you tell me exactly what part of it doesn't work as claimed. Mutation rates? DNA? Necessary time? Transcription errors? tRNA? Transitional organisms? Fossils?

We'll patiently wait for your educated response, OK?

So, far as I'm concerned, all-encompassing commentaries that make no sense or are based on hysteria are fair game, wouldn't you say?

Science does not ever claim to know it all, but there's a lot of things you could have asked me about, let's say, 150 years ago (DNA? Electrons? The orbits of the planets? Lasers? iPods? Cell phone technologies? Military drone planes and smart bombs? Vitamins?). So, in your mind does that then make them all impossible or non-existent? Nope. Not hardly.

So don't get all smarmy and ask me about the origin of atoms. I'd then have to ask you about the origin of God. Both unanswerable right now, but as to atoms, we may well come to an answer one day. And soon! Not so for God. There's no evidence for Him, but lots for atoms. and when we predict things based on atomic theory, darned if it doesn't come true! (See: Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and a nuclear power plant near you).

And... just watch the new LHC experiments and read, my boy, read. Soon enough, they'll have some new info on Higgs-Boson particles.

But now, let's predict spontaneous regeneration of a lopped-off limb on a war vet. Or a real, unambiguous prophecy come true (date, time, event, location). Or the categorical and incontrovertible healing of a cancer patient in an all-Christian or Jewish hospital (Sorry; they die at a slightly higher rate than atheists. Who'da thunk, huh?). Or tens of millions of children dying each year from child abuse, starvation and disease? All easily preventable with, apparently, a finger-snap by God. Seems He just doesn't care though...

The only reason I occasionally note my credentials is that I do have some in the areas I talk about, and yet we get, as I observe all the time, Christian folks making absolute comments on C-D all the time about Evolution. Or a range of other things they have no more education on than what they pick up on Good Morning America. Comments that are so off base and so inaccurate that you have to wonder if they've spent even 10 minutes reading the grossly inaccurate Church literature on the subject!

Again, how can a person actually come here to debate science when they can't even spell it?

Well, as Art Linkletter used to say; "Children say the darnedest things!"

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic
The Big-bang means anarchism is a happier trust for reaching heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
Uhhmmm... The Big-Bang means what again? Lord help me... [san; you getting this? ]
Quote:
it means whatever you want it to mean
No no; you missed the point here, which was about that curious post by tgnostic. If you can decipher him for us, then by all means do!

Enjoy your evening, and be enlightened, my curious son! I go now to talk with the mini-velociraptors I keep in my back yard.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
The Big Bang doesn't say everything just appeared. I don't see why creationists have such a difficult time understanding that. What happened before is unknown. The Big Bang only says that all matter was in a hot condensed state, then 14 billion years ago expanded into its current form.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Doesn't it aggravate you when a poster asks you questions, to which you take the time to provide answers? He then asks the same damned questions which you have answered to someone else. I can only conclude that such a poster is nothing more than a troll, and is not seriously interested in any kind of meaningful dialogue...I refuse to waste my time on trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality