Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,480,251 times

Advertisements

That's all...
I can't personally rely on a system that uses our senses as input.
We have advanced our sight so much with the Electron Microscope and wow!
And then our Hubble Telescopes....wow, again.

But, when we have, say, a 6 inch scale of the EM Spectrum...what our sense are able to pick up
Is about 1/4 inch of what is out there.
I mean, GEE, I need all these wires and things to just pick up a simple Radio wave.
Look at what we have to do to use an X-ray. And my LCD TV was not cheap to catch all those UHF/VHF Rays
shooting thru me and my shingles right now.

Science is great! But, sadly limited....it's gowing everyday though, and yay! What fun!

But, when a dog can hear more then me, an eagle sees farther...I can't rely on what
my senses or instruments tell me...only, that is.
I have to go to 'the something else'..(personal experience that can't be proven satisfactorily)
Now, y'all don't have to...but this is why I just can't depend
only on what Science is discovering slowly.

I say this bec many don't care for me or my posts...this may help u understand me better.
I would like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 AM

50,095 posts, read 20,853,014 times
The fact is that while a dog may smell more than I do (mine does anyway) and an eagle see further, our instruments (which you rather casually toss in with our limited biological faculties) can see further and deeper than any animal can, ever could or ever will.

Science has discovered, validated and proven more than religious or any other kind of speculation, hypothesis and inspiration.

We have understood you. You feel 'God' as an all encompassing and supporting Love and find expression of that feeling in various religious books which, I agree deal with expressing those feelings in a way that scientific journals just don't.

That is fine. And there is a case for more posts just telling us about their feelings about religion, or god -claims of mystical experiences. All fine. But as soon as it is used to point up the supposed inadequacies of science (with the implication that religious speculations reach places where science can't) or start putting forward claims or evidence for something called 'God' (I'm not saying you are doing that - just explaining our modus operandi) it is taken as inviting a response and will generally get one.

There is no point in taking it personally.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Darlin'...I take so little personally, you have no idea. (You can't tell on a Forum how
someone feels, I know.)

I say with no more emotion than shewing a fly away...some people don't 'like' what
I post. I also say happily, "Ok if you'd rather not have me post here, toodles"
I don't care or mind.

I try to express that with a smile and Take care.
This thread IS here for comments.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,244,320 times
You have to dig really really deep to gain an understanding of how people arrived at ideas of where all our instruments and devices came from. The more you study it the higher the odds of having an apihony.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's all...
I can't personally rely on a system that uses our senses as input.
We have advanced our sight so much with the Electron Microscope and wow!
And then our Hubble Telescopes....wow, again.

But, when we have, say, a 6 inch scale of the EM Spectrum...what our sense are able to pick up
Is about 1/4 inch of what is out there.
I mean, GEE, I need all these wires and things to just pick up a simple Radio wave.
Look at what we have to do to use an X-ray. And my LCD TV was not cheap to catch all those UHF/VHF Rays
shooting thru me and my shingles right now.

Science is great! But, sadly limited....it's gowing everyday though, and yay! What fun!

But, when a dog can hear more then me, an eagle sees farther...I can't rely on what
my senses or instruments tell me...only, that is.
I have to go to 'the something else'..(personal experience that can't be proven satisfactorily)
Now, y'all don't have to...but this is why I just can't depend
only on what Science is discovering slowly.

I say this bec many don't care for me or my posts...this may help u understand me better.
I would like that.
Part of the scientific method is one where methodologies are used to reduce bias and error and increase our ability to detect things beyond our senses - it is not just sense based per-se.

Furthermore, your personal experience is filtered through your senses

No matter what limitations the scientific method has it is less limited than any other methodology for figuring out reality and is no excuse to just invent theological or other concepts to fill the gaps in our understanding.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM

9,700 posts, read 10,065,888 times
I like science , as I have a telescope which is modest but not a toy , but I still believe in Lord Jesus and have no atheism ideas ..... I prefer to study the Art of faith in Lord Jesus Christ and be a overcomer of the world , and use the power of Christ to Glorify God in the Works of Christ........But faith in Christ is hard as the lone solders can be over challenged by the doubt by the world , because God prefer many people in unison Working together , where Christians have a hard time Working together because of the different gift and unbelief in some of the gifts or hopeless in faith in receiving from Christ........ See there are many arts to believe in like Rationalism, Humanism, Philosophies, Theosophies, Naturalism, Classicism , Darwinism , True Christian faith

Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,945,455 times
Default Huh? Whazzitt mean, olde soak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
You have to dig really really deep to gain an understanding of how people arrived at ideas of where all our instruments and devices came from. The more you study it the higher the odds of having an apihony.
A what? Do you perhaps mean an epiphany? I tried to look up your word api-hony and got nowhere.

But still, what is your point, assuming you did mean an epiphany? Clarification please. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Furthermore, your personal experience is
filtered through your senses
I'm sorry. I did take it for granted all knew I was speaking of altered states where areas of
the brain are "woken up'..the Doors of Perception are flung open and one finds themselves in
Cosmic Consciousness, thus having a transcendent experience (ref. Richard M. Bucke around 1894)....
some might call the 6th sense.

So, albeit, a sense, an advanced sense...much experienced in the Third Eye, pineal gland, Seat of the Soul, yada yada.
Thus, experienced not part of the everyday, ordinary mind.

Not that you will "like" this post...but you are dealing with a person that is not intellectual, not used to debating and often
Illogical .
Sorry.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Oh for petes sake, I knew what u meant by apihony....close enough.
So what u couldn't spell it...most people have never even had one.
Its not like u couldn't spell organism!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,872,229 times
The Scientific Method is not perfect and will eventually come to an endpoint where it will no longer be capable of helping us understand all that is. We're already getting to that point in Quantum Mechanics.

But Science is still a wonderful tool for understanding and is more than worth the effort to try to learn and and understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality