Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

I've heard that there are strong correlations between stories of Ancient Sumeria and stories in the Old testament. How valid is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I've heard that there are strong correlations between stories of Ancient Sumeria and stories in the Old testament. How valid is this?
News to me. But hey, if it's on the Internet it must be true!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default How much are the Judeo-Christian religions influenced by Ancient Sumerian stories?

Quote:
Syncretism is widespread in the "spiritual fossil record." It is what forms and informs the spiritual DNA template that the record reveals. That template testifies to its source and reveals the evolution of our understanding of the source as we ourselves evolved.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Syncretism is widespread in the "spiritual fossil record." It is what forms and informs the spiritual DNA template that the record reveals. That template testifies to its source and reveals the evolution of our understanding of the source as we ourselves evolved.
Only a few of us seem to understand what you say sometimes Mystic. Nonetheless, I will suggest that yes syncretism is the building block of religions, and yes, Christianity was influenced by ancient Sumerian stories. We know that the Noah Flood myth was borrowed heavily from the Sumerians. We also know that the Jewish people worshiped multiple gods (up until the time of the exile) and yes there are similarities toward these and Sumerian gods.

In Christianity though, Egyptian theology contributed more to the Christian myth than most people realize. And why not? After all, the two nations shared a common enemy, Rome. Much of Egyptian mysticism was borrowed heavily by various Christian Sects in the early century.
Syncretism at work.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
None of them are. It's the other way around. The events of Genesis happened well before the Sumerians existed.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Sumerian culture was from about 4000 BCE
Jewish texts were recorded in wiring around 1000 BCE under King David. Jews were polytheistic until about 1300 BC so the Genesis Myth did not become popular until well after the monotheistic age, making Sumerian mythology much older than Jewish mythology.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Sumerian culture was from about 4000 BCE
Jewish texts were recorded in wiring around 1000 BCE under King David. Jews were polytheistic until about 1300 BC so the Genesis Myth did not become popular until well after the monotheistic age, making Sumerian mythology much older than Jewish mythology.
The date of the recording was not when it happened. As I said..Genesis happened long before Sumerian culture existed, as the Sumerians descended from ancestors of Adam.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Vizio, you realize, you have no proof to your statement, outside of faith into what is written in the Bible? And there is multiple proof to statements made by others? Of course, it is what one believes. But that is question of faith, not of hard facts.
Oh, and btw. Way before The Old Testament, and still around, there is Misrah, or spoken Jewish tradition, that is passed from generation to generation unchanged. EG, according to Misrah, Adam actually had 2 women created for him, and one failed. AKA Lilith.
And which Bible you are actually referring to? One in the original language? With original texts in it? Or one "politically corrected" during several revisions, with some of those original texts tossed out? Or one of the multiple versions and translations?
Oh, sorry. Stupid me. Of course, it's the one YOU believe into. And typically human, THAT makes it ultimate truth for everyone.
Haven't I heard that chat before....

Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Vizio, you realize, you have no proof to your statement, outside of faith into what is written in the Bible? And there is multiple proof to statements made by others? Of course, it is what one believes. But that is question of faith, not of hard facts.
Oh, and btw. Way before The Old Testament, and still around, there is Misrah, or spoken Jewish tradition, that is passed from generation to generation unchanged. EG, according to Misrah, Adam actually had 2 women created for him, and one failed. AKA Lilith.
And which Bible you are actually referring to? One in the original language? With original texts in it? Or one "politically corrected" during several revisions, with some of those original texts tossed out? Or one of the multiple versions and translations?
Oh, sorry. Stupid me. Of course, it's the one YOU believe into. And typically human, THAT makes it ultimate truth for everyone.
Haven't I heard that chat before....
How many of the original documents do you have for those religions? The Bible tells the story of the first man and woman that ever existed. By that alone, we know that no other culture existed prior to them.

Of course, you really have no proof to prove otherwise...except your skepticism.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
So, the stories in The Bible are true and are an accurate record of historical events because...they appear in The Bible?

What wonderful (circular) "logic!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality