Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,406,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
In your opinion. The idea that there is no evidence is based on your, likely scientistic or logicalist, view of what can constitute evidence.
Entirely false. I do not put constraints of any kind on what people call "evidence". I am willing to consider anything they put forward and discuss it with them. I have never for example said "What is the scientific evidence for angels".

No, what I say is "What are the arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that has led you to the position that gods/angels exist".

Nothing in that sentence limits the discourse to science only. The problem is that even with that wide net these people STILL can not offer any answers to my question. Which is suspect in the extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,046,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinhighrN13 View Post
One of the classic religious/spiritual topic's with a twist. I don't want this to be a debate, but rather an open arena for those who believe in angel's and what an angel is to them. Maybe a description or an experience you had in the presence of one.

I believe an angel is a human being who transcends a power greater than themself, which to me is the spirit of love & connectivity OR what I choose to call God. one Love, One Life One chance to live with each other for each other until the end of time.

I am not sure what else you would or could call a person who is truly blessed or has been saved from becoming one of the walking dead, but I like angels. God is everything or nothing ~

I have to respectfully disagree with you about an "angel is a human being..." though I too believe in angels!

And as an aside, it drives me nuts when people refer to someone who has died, usually a little child, as now being another angel in heaven. This is just not factually correct based on what the Bible tells us about angels.

Angels are beings created specifically by God to serve Him in different capacities.

They are not and have never been human - they are celestial and were even created prior to earth itself.

They are not divine and are not supposed to be worshipped, just appreciated for their presence, protection and loyalty to our Lord

Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,208,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
An angel is a messenger created by God. It is not a human. They deliver messages, and do special things. There was an angel guarding the entrance to the garden of Eden after Adam and Eve were expelled. They are also used in Revelation to carry out judgment on the Earth.
That is essentially what I believe about them. I will just add they do not have free will and are the perfect servants doing only what God(swt) tells them to do or say.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,237,549 times
No.
That's silly.
Lol

Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM

33,639 posts, read 37,332,281 times
Quote:
One of the classic religious/spiritual topic's with a twist. I don't want this to be a debate, but rather an open arena for those who believe in angel's and what an angel is to them. Maybe a description or an experience you had in the presence of one.

I believe an angel is a human being who transcends a power greater than themself, which to me is the spirit of love & connectivity OR what I choose to call God. one Love, One Life One chance to live with each other for each other until the end of time.

I am not sure what else you would or could call a person who is truly blessed or has been saved from becoming one of the walking dead, but I like angels. God is everything or nothing ~
No, because I have a rational mind angels do not compute.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,112,768 times
guess i am irrational---i believe--had a guardian angel rescue me from near death---someone in the form of a person pulled me off the bottom of a lake---my onshore friend that could not swim saw him carry me out,lay me down and disappear almost instantly--i did not see him as i was semi conscious

my close relative described the one she saw sitting by her bed when she was a very ill four year old as nice with golden hair--he talked to her told her she will get better and she did--so i really believe

Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
do I beleive in Angels? There was a time I wasn't sure but then I heard a few stories from people who are not nut cases, are very well educated and have experienced Angeles. Now, I do believe in them. I also had an near death experience many years ago when I almost died in childbirth (or I guess i did) Anyway, I was bleeding to death, at one point my entire life flashed by me, (no I didn't see the light) but I did see everything that had happened and I remember telling myself, wow dieing isn't bad, look at all this? The next thing I knew I was awake and still alive..The bleeding had succised (spelling) some and the doctors were working to save my baby. He didn't live: I have always thought God spared me because he knew I had a husband and a little girl that needed me, he did take our little son.

Nita

Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 999,255 times
Quote:

I am not Christian, and I believe in Angels. They are spiritual beings.....there is a lot more to the universe than our eyes can see and our hands can touch.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM

7,075 posts, read 6,994,596 times
angels are just another religious explanation for some being we dont understand. Just like aliens, ghosties, demons, and all the other beings we dont have any explanation for at the moment.

Why are angels higher up the 'ladder' towards God than we are? Why would Old Man God need messengers to do his communicating for him? Why not talk directly ?

It is much more likely that these angels are another kind of being that we dont understand at the moment.

Reading this thread and watching how many people place angels in the realms of religious messengers, I see this as just perpetuating the control orthodox religions have on us.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,009,805 times
I believe in angels and I feel that each of us is assigned an angel for our protection and guidance in this life. They do not, however, intervene without our permission (this is our life to lead) and if we pay attention to signs that are provided to us we'll be able to have communication with them. They are not to be worshipped however, and I feel that they'd tell you that glory goes to God and that the navigation of this life is up to you and is your own choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality