Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 24,727 times

Advertisements

Before heading to Mass tonight for Ash Wednesday, someone brought to my attention that I should not be taking communion. I was Baptized in a Catholic church. Not Confirmed. As a young adult I missed too many classes. My husband is Catholic, Baptized, Confirmed and we married in the Catholic church. Did the classes, all the paper work and time together and separate with the Priest. I was open and giving with all this information at that time. We have been married and members since 1993. Can I take communion? I was told since I was not confirmed I shouldn't. Which ever the outcome can you please give me some references to read or study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86RULES View Post
Before heading to Mass tonight for Ash Wednesday, someone brought to my attention that I should not be taking communion. I was Baptized in a Catholic church. Not Confirmed. As a young adult I missed too many classes. My husband is Catholic, Baptized, Confirmed and we married in the Catholic church. Did the classes, all the paper work and time together and separate with the Priest. I was open and giving with all this information at that time. We have been married and members since 1993. Can I take communion? I was told since I was not confirmed I shouldn't. Which ever the outcome can you please give me some references to read or study?
Did you go through RCIA? If so, did you take communion? I had my first communion at age 5....I wasn't confirmed until age 14.

Now...did they by chance say confession? The catholic church teaches that you should not go to communion if you have not gone to confession---as you're supposed to be in a state of grace.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Why not just ask your parish priest?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM

Good idea....I am calling.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Yes, RCIA and communion at age 5. Confession yearly. Just not confirmed. I thought if I was married in the church I was part of the church.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86RULES View Post
Yes, RCIA and communion at age 5. Confession yearly. Just not confirmed. I thought if I was married in the church I was part of the church.
The way I understand it, Confirmation kind of "confirms" the faith you were baptized in as a baby. The role of a godparent is to "stand in" for you and express their faith for you....and then at Confirmation it becomes YOUR FAITH. I can see that there may be an issue if you never went through Confirmation. I would second the opinion to contact your priest. There are a lot of rules to follow by in Catholicism....I'd hate to tell you the wrong thing.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
you may receive communion if you have been baptized and have had a first confession---as to other requirements for your in church marriage--if the priest that married you was aware you were not confirmed and he married you in the church twas not your responsibility

as a non-confirmed catholic--the only things you cannot do is be a godparent or sponsor in a catholic baptism or confirmation

Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
You may be baptized to your church, or confessed to your church , but You still need to repent to Jesus and His authority , as believers are baptized to Father , Son, and Holy Spirit ,....... Do you have Jesus Spirit on your daily life with a testimony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality