Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times

Advertisements

This just amazes me. Get 'em while they're young, huh?

Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Church - New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,599,228 times
This game at church and the sex educational class being taught to my 12 year old granddaughter during Wednesday night prayer meeting are just two of the reasons I stay at home Sundays. My granddaughter was embarrassed when she showed me their handout.(I had already left the church, but she still went with her grandpa.) The words and explanations were straight out of the gutter The teacher was one of the young deacons and was overseen by an elder..

Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

356 posts, read 1,131,500 times
Wow, sex education at church, Blue?!?! I am all for sex education, as it is a fact that abstinence only has been a colossal failure, but at church? Wow.
As for violent video games - it seems to tie in with Manifest Destiny.....

Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,255,649 times
I'll agree that it is better than letting them sit around with a can of beer or maybe some drugs, but what did kids do before video games? Maybe you have to go back a good many years, but was a time when the family stayed in a night, did home work and dull boring things like that.

Maybe it would be easier to pay them money to come to church????? You know, the more Sundays you come in a row, the more you earn each time. Make it attractive.

Why not? A bribe is a bribe is a bribe. At least it wouldn't be making fun out of killing.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times
Halo or Americas Army I don't see the difference.
The US army uses the free downloadable game Americas Army as 'honey' to seduce children of every age into the US army by showing them how kewl it is to be a 'virtual' American soldier.

Why should the church not be able to do the exact same thing the state does?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,187,425 times
This is just wrong on so many levels! I am almost speechless ( and that takes some doing)!

I can not believe that any church could stoop so low as to use a game that is nothing but violence. I have seen this game. All you do is kill. I know they say there is some sort of plot but I can't see it. And to use this in church. You might just say go ahead and kill some one as long as you do it in God's name it Okay!

Oh, wait lots of religions say that already. I guess we're , america, just joining the gang. So, does this mean that all of the folks in the middle east are right when they kill in the name of their religion?

I can't wait for someone to explain the reasoning behind this move.

As someone said in the article they might just as well offer the kids, cigarettes, alchol and weed. That would get them into the church too.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,403,246 times
As much as I cannot stand the mega-churches (especially those in Colorado, where I lived) I have to stand up for video games.

Bottom line: There is nothing wrong with kids playing Halo.

Video games have been violent since their inception (at least the popular ones). I rather like seeing Christian kids playing Halo instead of some kind of watered-down, non-violent, proselytizing type of video game (I'm sure there are a bunch of benign church-approved video games out there).

Let kids play Halo. It will not turn them into real-life murderers.

The idea of mega-churches "luring" kids into the fold in general is a far bigger problem in my eyes than any particular video game. Halo is not the equivalent of sex and drugs.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
As much as I cannot stand the mega-churches (especially those in Colorado, where I lived) I have to stand up for video games.

Bottom line: There is nothing wrong with kids playing Halo.

Video games have been violent since their inception (at least the popular ones). I rather like seeing Christian kids playing Halo instead of some kind of watered-down, non-violent, proselytizing type of video game (I'm sure there are a bunch of benign church-approved video games out there).

Let kids play Halo. It will not turn them into real-life murderers.

The idea of mega-churches "luring" kids into the fold in general is a far bigger problem in my eyes than any particular video game. Halo is not the equivalent of sex and drugs.
I agree... video games have nothing to do with kids being violent.

Plus Halo rocks.. might be the greatest game ever..

Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,403,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
video games have nothing to do with kids being violent.

Plus Halo rocks.. might be the greatest game ever..
I actually have not played it, but I hear nothing but good things (from those who like video games).
Maybe one of my local mega-churches will let me use their X-box 360.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
That's my point b.frank. To me, it's not that they're using a violent video game (which does indeed make me question the legitimacy of a church's true message), but it's the fact that they are luring kids into the church by any means possible. They know, heck we all know, that video games will attract kids like moths to candlelight. I think that if you need to resort to trickery in order for kids to come believe in what your preaching.... wait a second... that sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality