Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,196,349 times

Advertisements

Miracle Healing.....

All through written history, during the Plagues, there were always people that survived in spite of everyone close to them dying. Even when they stayed and cared for the dying, or collected the dead bodies. Some survived.
Was this a miracle? Some would think so.

Or was it an example that some people happened to have a natural immunity to the disease? Evolution, maybe? Perhaps one day, only those with a natural immunity would be on earth and then no more disease.

My family is an example of this sort of thing. Smallpox at one time was a deadly thing. Every child had to be able to display a scar for school. I was vaccinated over and over again in an effort to get the injection to "take" Three times a year all through elementary school and most of high school. I have even had cuts in my arm and the vaccine pushed into the open slit. Nothing happened. I estimate what with school and college, I was vaccinated over 20 times.

Was this a miracle?? Or perhaps a mutation in my family genetics that served to protect. I am an only child, so there's no comparison with siblings.

It seems to be an inherited trait none of my children, despite repeated tries, ever had an injection "take" either.

Just your thoughts...... Could we also be developing an immune system that would protect us from various cancers? I have read that it's not unusual that during an autopsy to find evidence to small cancers that have been isolated and walled off by the body before they could do any damage.
???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Yes, I think that's quite possible. Our immune systems are possibly capable of more than we know. However, I don't think that discounts miraculous healing. Last winter my husband had a serious knee injury, had seen an orthopedist, yada, yada, yada. After prayer with an elder at church, it was about 90% healed and by the end of the week, pretty much totally healed. That healing was so sudden after prayer, I don't think you could account for it any other way than through prayer, and I think a lot of healings are that way.
Another personal example, a number of years ago I had a health problem and I was reading about the story in the Bible about the woman with "an issue of blood" (without getting too personal or graphic, that was akin to my problem which had gone for 2-3 months unabated even with medical intervention.) That night I asked Jesus just very simply if I could also touch the hem of His garment. That night the "problem" ended. I don't think that kind of thing can be accounted for by my body suddenly healing itself.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,465,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Miracle Healing.....

All through written history, during the Plagues, there were always people that survived in spite of everyone close to them dying. Even when they stayed and cared for the dying, or collected the dead bodies. Some survived.
Was this a miracle? Some would think so.

Or was it an example that some people happened to have a natural immunity to the disease? Evolution, maybe? Perhaps one day, only those with a natural immunity would be on earth and then no more disease.

My family is an example of this sort of thing. Smallpox at one time was a deadly thing. Every child had to be able to display a scar for school. I was vaccinated over and over again in an effort to get the injection to "take" Three times a year all through elementary school and most of high school. I have even had cuts in my arm and the vaccine pushed into the open slit. Nothing happened. I estimate what with school and college, I was vaccinated over 20 times.

Was this a miracle?? Or perhaps a mutation in my family genetics that served to protect. I am an only child, so there's no comparison with siblings.

It seems to be an inherited trait none of my children, despite repeated tries, ever had an injection "take" either.

Just your thoughts...... Could we also be developing an immune system that would protect us from various cancers? I have read that it's not unusual that during an autopsy to find evidence to small cancers that have been isolated and walled off by the body before they could do any damage.
???????
To be honest with you, what you describe is Survival of the Fittest for Dummies. No, seriously, it's really not that much more difficult than that. Think about it this way, let's take a disease such as ebola. A very rapid, quickly killing disease. Let's say that a human outbreak of it becomes rampant. In other words, people all over the world are getting exposed to it and dying quickly. However, for some weird reason, only people born with 6 fingers on one hand have an immunity. (Keep in mind that I am trying to use a genetic mutation to show that if this mutation were beneficial to the survival of the species than it has the ability to pass on). So, everyone on earth is dying out, and the only people left are those people with 6 fingers. Let's say 2% of the entire population. Somehow, these people manage to band together and breed. Now, will they all give birth to children with 6 fingers? No, because the gene for 5 fingers still exists. Yet, if that child dies from the ebola virus shortly after birth doesn't it only stand to reason that people with 6 fingers who only give birth to children with 6 fingers are capable of surviving? So, therefore, wouldn't that show a change in the human race as instead of having 5 fingers on a human hand, only the ones with 6 fingers survive? Now, take a million years from now. The threat of ebola is gone, however because for so long the necessitatoin of 6 fingered humans was there it has become the dominant gene. Everyone following me?

Oh by the way, I have met at least 3 people in my life who have 6 fingers on one hand. I think it was more like 2 thumbs actually. So they do indeed exist.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,275,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yet, if that child dies from the ebola virus shortly after birth doesn't it only stand to reason that people with 6 fingers who only give birth to children with 6 fingers are capable of surviving? So, therefore, wouldn't that show a change in the human race as instead of having 5 fingers on a human hand, only the ones with 6 fingers survive?
What would stand to reason in this case, GCS, is that the human population would die off completely!

On another topic:
I wish I had more facts together, but I read somewhere that because of our incessant cleanliness, we are becoming "less immune", not "more immune", to certain diseases. So it seems to be a never-ending circle... Some of our ancestors may have grown immune to a certain disease, and now since it's basically wiped out and we aren't exposed to it, we would be very susceptible to it if an outbreak were to occur. In this case we wouldn't have inherited immunity from our ancestors, rather the immunity they had was a result of being exposed to this disease. IMO, there will always be something that we are not immune to... I don't want to sound pessimistic!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Isn't the gene that causes people to have six fingers dominant? So all of us with five fingers are actually carrying a recessive gene. Even though having 6 fingers is dominant, it's also very rare, maybe due to the fact people over time didn't want to reproduce with 6 fingered people or they thought they were weird or strange.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
What would stand to reason in this case, GCS, is that the human population would die off completely!

On another topic:
I wish I had more facts together, but I read somewhere that because of our incessant cleanliness, we are becoming "less immune", not "more immune", to certain diseases. So it seems to be a never-ending circle... Some of our ancestors may have grown immune to a certain disease, and now since it's basically wiped out and we aren't exposed to it, we would be very susceptible to it if an outbreak were to occur. In this case we wouldn't have inherited immunity from our ancestors, rather the immunity they had was a result of being exposed to this disease. IMO, there will always be something that we are not immune to... I don't want to sound pessimistic!
You are perhaps correct, and when a species cannot survive due to a rapid change in environment it is called extinction. What I wanted to show was a scenario in which it is possible for groups of a species to somehow survive despite a massive blow to their ecosystem. You know and I know that having 6 fingers has nothing to do with immune systems. It was just an example.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 10-05-2007 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: I am having a hard time typing on my new keyboard.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Isn't the gene that causes people to have six fingers dominant? So all of us with five fingers are actually carrying a recessive gene. Even though having 6 fingers is dominant, it's also very rare, maybe due to the fact people over time didn't want to reproduce with 6 fingered people or they thought they were weird or strange.
But, if only the people who had 6 fingers lived, than it would be necessary to have children with 6 fingers. This would eventually happen, no? If they could not reproduce children with 6 fingers, than the species would die off. Correct? This is Survival of the Fittest.

Again, I'm just taking a genetic mutation and coupling it with a threat to a species. It doesn't mean that people with 6 fingers are immune to ebola. I'm just picking two more or less random things.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,275,231 times
Quote:
You know and I know that having 6 fingers has nothing to do with immune systems. It was just an example.
Right. And I took it at that!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Right. And I took it at that!
I figured you did. That's the one bad thing though. If you don't make it specifically clear that it was an example SOMEONE is going to say "Prove to me that having 6 fingers is a protection against Ebola." Just figured I'd get it out of the way before someone asked.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Again, I'm just taking a genetic mutation and coupling it with a threat to a species. It doesn't mean that people with 6 fingers are immune to ebola. I'm just picking two more or less random things.
I understand and agree with what you're saying, I just wanted to throw out some useless factoid, that most people don't realize that the 6 finger and probably 6 toe gene is dominate and all of us 5 finger 5 toed people are carrying the recessive genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality