Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Lucy was (is) a Hominid species (Australopithicus afarensis or A. afarensis for short).

A. afarensis is classified as an ape (hence the name) not a human. It is a Hominid. That means it is an Ape that is closely related to human beings. Related like I'm related to my grandmother? No.. I'd guess more like having simlilar characteristics..

Anywho.. In overall body size, brain size and skull shape, "Lucy" resembles a chimpanzee. However, A. afarensis has some surprisingly human characteristics. For example, the way the hip joint and pelvis articulate indicates that "Lucy" walked upright like a human, not like a chimp. This means that upright posture and bi-pedalism preceded the development of what we would recognize as human beings and human intelligence.
Lucy walked upright. It doesn't tell us and we can't possibly know how often she walked upright or for how long each time or for what duration. All we know is because of some pelvic features and a knee cap that this ape was capable of walking on two feet. Chimps today walk upright. So? And yes, she's classified as a hominid, closely related to humans... still not a missing link. As far as what preceeded what development wise, that's presupposing evolution is correct. Can't you see the interpretation and the just so acceptance of evolution in the explanation of Lucy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,074,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Lucy walked upright. It doesn't tell us and we can't possibly know how often she walked upright or for how long each time or for what duration. All we know is because of some pelvic features and a knee cap that this ape was capable of walking on two feet. Chimps today walk upright. So? And yes, she's classified as a hominid, closely related to humans... still not a missing link. As far as what preceeded what development wise, that's presupposing evolution is correct. Can't you see the interpretation and the just so acceptance of evolution in the explanation of Lucy?
Chimps today walk upright? No.. they can walk upright. They primarily knuckle walk.

Humans walking on two legs consume only a quarter of the energy that chimpanzees use while “knuckle-walking” on all fours.

So just to make things clear.. that is a fact.

The theory is ole' crazy hipped Lucy is evidence that the energy saved by walking upright gave our ancient ancestors an evolutionary advantage over other apes by reducing the costs of foraging for food.

Lucy is not the "end all" evidence in the Theory of Evolution but a cog in a wheel. More data will be gathered.. More fossils found.. etc etc..

Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
And if you read that article, like I did, don't the "just so" statements leap out at you? Doesn't the statement "routinely walked upright" make you ask how do they know Lucy did this "routinely"? How often is routinely? Chimps today walk on two legs... so? And how many "it is thought" and "supposedly" and "believed" and "concluded" (meaning educated guess) can you read and ignore and still think this is "fact" and "truth"?

And isn't it ironic (or funny) that Lucy's scientific name means, in part, ape? Doesn't anyone else see that, regardless of the supposed age, it's an ape, not a link to a human? So our DNA is common to chimps... it's also common (~ 50%) with banannas... are we now all fruits ?
I'm surprised you don't demand the same detailed explanation of biblical accounts of our history.. but I guess we just couldn't spare that kinda time.

Most of the pre-determined explanations you are asking about are pretty much already understood and accepted by the overwhelming majority of the first world, which is why this article is a very basic overview. More meaty explanations can be found in 2nd Grade textbooks the world over

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 AM

179 posts, read 333,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Lucy is a religion?
If one has faith in Lucy about things that can not be proven. Nor is there any evidence for. Then Lucy gets exalted to a god like status. Because faith that she has human hands and feet are included. So it's like a poof there it is. Situation. So poof, Lucy the god of evolution.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No.. trying to derail ignorance..

Also.. you never answered my question. How old is Lucy?
I have no problem with 3 million years of age. And yes I am YEC. I just believe a little differently about the creation. But you would still not believe it if I told you.

Also, is ignorance based on people not believing what you do?

Then also I would apply the bible verse that says: They profess themselves wise and became fools.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
I have no problem with 3 million years of age. And yes I am YEC. I just believe a little differently about the creation. But you would still not believe it if I told you.

Also, is ignorance based on people not believing what you do?

Then also I would apply the bible verse that says: They profess themselves wise and became fools.
By all means then enlighten me. I was under the assumption that YEC believed the earth was somewhere between 6,000 - 10,000 years old. I stand corrected if that isn't true and my sincere apologies will follow.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Lucy was (is) a Hominid species (Australopithicus afarensis or A. afarensis for short).

A. afarensis is classified as an ape (hence the name) not a human. It is a Hominid. That means it is an Ape that is closely related to human beings. Related like I'm related to my grandmother? No.. I'd guess more like having simlilar characteristics..

Anywho.. In overall body size, brain size and skull shape, "Lucy" resembles a chimpanzee. However, A. afarensis has some surprisingly human characteristics. For example, the way the hip joint and pelvis articulate indicates that "Lucy" walked upright like a human, not like a chimp. This means that upright posture and bi-pedalism preceded the development of what we would recognize as human beings and human intelligence.
A non-human with fully formed human hands and feet?

And there is not much of the skull to speak of.

And the hip and pelvis issue is still heavly being debated. I even saw one video where one guy took and made molds of those parts. And then used some type of excuse about the being crushed and fossilized so that the potential of Lucy to stand up right could not clearly be seen, Then this person took the mold and used a grinding machine to make the up right positioning more clear.

I wonder if I took a human and dinosaur foot print and made a simular excuse. Then grinded them down to what I wanted them to be in a more clearer light. If this would be accepted as evidence? You guys just crack me up.

Maybe I should use this example of the grinding techniques on my Ica stone page. Showing how the stones were determined fakes, but grinding evolution fossil are accepted for real evidence. Do you think that would raise a few eyebrows?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Ikester, just because you want to ignore the evidence doesn't mean the evidence doesn't exist. Forensic paleontologists have recovered sufficient bone matter of Lucy to make determinations of her hands and feet structure. They are not human hands and feet, they are hominid hands and feet. Forensic scientists today routinely find fragmentary evidence that has to be put together. While I don't characterize the CSI shows on television as reality, juries of reasonable intelligence listen to the evidence of forensic scientists on a daily basis for the purposes of crime reconstruction in trials all over this country.

No one is worshipping Lucy or making her into a god. She is simply a fossil record, a significant find because bones that old do not usually survive, hence the missing smaller bones of the hands and feet.

DC

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
A non-human with fully formed human hands and feet?

And there is not much of the skull to speak of.

And the hip and pelvis issue is still heavly being debated. I even saw one video where one guy took and made molds of those parts. And then used some type of excuse about the being crushed and fossilized so that the potential of Lucy to stand up right could not clearly be seen, Then this person took the mold and used a grinding machine to make the up right positioning more clear.

I wonder if I took a human and dinosaur foot print and made a simular excuse. Then grinded them down to what I wanted them to be in a more clearer light. If this would be accepted as evidence? You guys just crack me up.

Maybe I should use this example of the grinding techniques on my Ica stone page. Showing how the stones were determined fakes, but grinding evolution fossil are accepted for real evidence. Do you think that would raise a few eyebrows?
Darn Lucy for not keeping her head during all this..

So it was a conspiracy by all the scientists? Can we view this video? Who was the guy making the claims? What are his credentials?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
By all means then enlighten me. I was under the assumption that YEC believed the earth was somewhere between 6,000 - 10,000 years old. I stand corrected if that isn't true and my sincere apologies will follow.
In God's word it says than death did not happen until man sinned, correct. Man sinned on the sixth day. So what did that make the creation for six days until that sin happened?

It made the creation to be in "eternal time". Eternal time has no death, so neither can it have the processes that cause death. One of the processes is aging. So if things do not age in eternity, everything has to be created with age already added. Why?

If Adam and Eve were created as infants, when would they grow up to be able to sin, if they were not already created with age. If the earth were created new and not cooled down. If aging does not exist, when would it cool down?

So creation in eternal time has to be created already aged and ready to function. Other wise, the creation would have never worked. Because when would anything get old enough to be what we see today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality