Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
what do you mean for natural and super-natural events? maybe the human existence is a natural event for you?

is the terrestrial rotation around the sun a natural thing?...........
Yes. Both of these things are 100% natural.

BTW, it's revolution not rotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes. Both of these things are 100% natural.

BTW, it's revolution not rotation.

l'm wondering if the human physic formula has the same cosmic physic rules.
anyway exist a principle which seems very strange to physicists, perhaps because it tastes of philosophy or because at the majority of them this concept appears incomprehensible.

l'm talking about the existence of a mechanism of any kind, a mechanism that in this case would not appear at all, according to the ortodox position expressed by those who have contributed to this new sience in the twentieth century... it says that there is not objective reality...but the reality is created at the time when it is experienced, and the agent who creates the reality is the consciousness of investigator

as you see it seems on contrary to the "moto perpetuo" and it could be just a divine will .......job

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
l'm talking about the existence of a mechanism of any kind, a mechanism that in this case would not appear at all, according to the ortodox position expressed by those who have contributed to this new sience in the twentieth century... it says that there is not objective reality...but the reality is created at the time when it is experienced, and the agent who creates the reality is the consciousness of investigator
Okay, a long time I read some philosophers like David Hume who wrote about the things you're talking about. I think the conclusion was that involuntary sense experiences prove that objective reality is real.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Status: "Before saving for a rainy evening, see your xenial lawyer!" (set 6 hours ago)

19,688 posts, read 652,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Amen and Hallelujah to that. We are just apes on a little blue rock in the unimaginable vastness of the universe. To say we know and understand it all now...only a couple hundred years past the industrial revolution... is the height of ignorance. There are still many, many mysteries to unfold.
They are manifold Indeed.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Status: "Before saving for a rainy evening, see your xenial lawyer!" (set 6 hours ago)

19,688 posts, read 652,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
People believe or disbelieve due to experience or indoctrination.

It's your right to disbelieve as it is the right of others to embrace their beliefs.

And life goes on.........
Well said!!

Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Faith is not something to be proven. Last night my wife and I spent much of the night on our knees asking for God's help in the disappearance of our granddaughter who failed to return home from her school in Albuquerque on Tuesday. This morning we learned she had been abducted at her bus stop, drugged and taken to a house where she was repeatedly raped and beaten at gunpoint for hours Tuesday night.

How did God answer our prayers you ask? The rapist did not kill my grand daughter although, according to my grand daughter, he repeatedly threatened to do so several times during the ordeal. God does answer prayers and last night he was listening intently to my wife and I. We now have our grand daughter safe at home from a man who has foolishly chosen to shake his fist in the face of a God to whom vengeance belongs.

Faith is believing God answers prayers and proof is watching it happen.

If the rapist did kill your granddaughter wouldn't she be in paradise with jesus?

Another great thing is god sat back and watched everything in great detail.

How else will it punish the rapist AFTER he dies?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Faith is not something to be proven. Last night my wife and I spent much of the night on our knees asking for God's help in the disappearance of our granddaughter who failed to return home from her school in Albuquerque on Tuesday. This morning we learned she had been abducted at her bus stop, drugged and taken to a house where she was repeatedly raped and beaten at gunpoint for hours Tuesday night.

How did God answer our prayers you ask? The rapist did not kill my grand daughter although, according to my grand daughter, he repeatedly threatened to do so several times during the ordeal. God does answer prayers and last night he was listening intently to my wife and I. We now have our grand daughter safe at home from a man who has foolishly chosen to shake his fist in the face of a God to whom vengeance belongs.

Faith is believing God answers prayers and proof is watching it happen.
It is wonderful that your situation turned out not to be a worse case, but very preposterous that you credit this to an unknown being that seems to ignore the masses that don't end well.

I know a family that begged god to restore their daughter who was brain damaged from drowning. We participated in prayer visuals. Hers and the multitudes that prayed were never answered. The fact is, you/granddaughters incident was tragic, while fortunate to not end as typical. Nothing more.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
There is a 'God is good' vid out there somewhere. The fact is that, no matter how bad it is, if one is determined to find a positive spin in order to keep believing that prayers are answered, it's not hard to do so.
The other delusion-protecing methods are count the hits and ignore the misses and "sometimes God says "No".

There it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EEKfTnfvA

I can hear the protests now about 'Why are atheists so bitter?" and not looking on the positive side? I am of course glad to hear that our poster's story (we hear a lot of stories(1) has a positive side. In fact we feel the same way about the theists when they tell us what a vale of tears this is and how we are all sinners all the time and the only cure for this misery is death and salvation in Jesus.

We take a more positive view, but not one based on self delusion.
(1) indeed, this tale was within a whisker of being an atheist spoof -you know "My house fell down, I got fired, My kids totalled the car and were all killed, my bank collapsed, the wife ran off to join ISIS, and all my goldfish died of anthrax, - but God helped me to find my missing library card!

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-05-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality