Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,748,788 times

Advertisements

DENVER — A student who said she was told she wouldn't get her diploma unless she apologized for a commencement speech in which she mentioned Jesus has filed a lawsuit alleging her free speech rights were violated.

The school district contends its actions were "constitutionally appropriate."

Erica Corder was one of 15 valedictorians at Lewis-Palmer High School in 2006. All were invited to speak for 30 seconds at the graduation ceremony. When it was Corder's turn, she encouraged the audience to get to know Jesus Christ.

FOXNews.com - Colorado Student Files Lawsuit Over Commencement Speech That Mentioned Jesus - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 PM

679 posts, read 1,442,517 times
I'd like to know what the school's policy is first of all. In lieu of that, Miss Corder clearly knew she wasn't allowed to say those things since she didn't include them in her rehearsal. That means she made a willful violation as opposed to an accidental one.

Now I know what you christians will say so I'm going to cut you off right now. IF she had said something like, "I thank Jesus" or "This was possible due to Jesus" then there shouldn't be a problem. But she didn't do that. Instead, she proselytized, and that's not allowed. The diploma thing may be a little harsh, but I guess they felt it was the only way to compel her to apologize.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,907,997 times
What's "allowed", or "not allowed" for someone to say at a graduation per school policy must still fall under the 1st Amendment, Bill of Rights, guaranteed to every citizen of the USA. That amendment says a person's freedom of speech must not be abridged. Miss Corder's freedom of speech was apparently over-ruled by a school policy that says "you can't say that". That's why she is suing. It's her freedom of speech at stake.
My personal opinion? Well, opinions aren't worth a whole lot these days, but what the school did wasn't the smartest. I mean, how "intellectually brilliant" can those school authorities be? Let's consider: Miss Corder was a graduate on her way out the door. Another hour or so and the whole thing would be history, forgotten, in the past, GONE,...with no skin off their teeth. Instead, they wanted to bicker over a school policy that in an hour wouldn't even pertain to the person in question: she'd be outta there! And they are whining about a 30-second speech? 30 SECONDS! Fer cryin out loud...gimmee a break! Apparently they wanted a fight. Ok...so now they got one. They'll get their day in court.
I hope Miss Corder wins. My $.02

Bud

Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,490,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
What's "allowed", or "not allowed" for someone to say at a graduation per school policy must still fall under the 1st Amendment, Bill of Rights, guaranteed to every citizen of the USA. That amendment says a person's freedom of speech must not be abridged. Miss Corder's freedom of speech was apparently over-ruled by a school policy that says "you can't say that". That's why she is suing. It's her freedom of speech at stake.
My personal opinion? Well, opinions aren't worth a whole lot these days, but what the school did wasn't the smartest. I mean, how "intellectually brilliant" can those school authorities be? Let's consider: Miss Corder was a graduate on her way out the door. Another hour or so and the whole thing would be history, forgotten, in the past, GONE,...with no skin off their teeth. Instead, they wanted to bicker over a school policy that in an hour wouldn't even pertain to the person in question: she'd be outta there! And they are whining about a 30-second speech? 30 SECONDS! Fer cryin out loud...gimmee a break! Apparently they wanted a fight. Ok...so now they got one. They'll get their day in court.
I hope Miss Corder wins. My $.02

Bud
With the obvious absence of knowledge of the rules of the school in question, I have to say that I agree. If the rules mentioned otherwise than that's one thing, but people should otherwise abide by the First Amendment regardless of what you do or don't want to hear and Ms. Corder did just that. As much as I don't believe in God or Jesus, she still has a first amendment right to say what she feels unless certain school rules prohibit it. And the nonsense of it not being in her rehearsal speech only prompts me to ask the question: Was it mandatory that whatever was in the rehearsal speech be presented as a carbon copy at the graduation? I don't think you'd find to many school officials going nuts over this if she'd changed a few words around as a last minute thing but as soon as you invoke Jesus' name you get a whole new can of worms.

Write this down, folks. I'm going to side with the theists on this one only because she has a Constitutional right to say what she did and not because I believe what she was talking about.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,029,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
With the obvious absence of knowledge of the rules of the school in question, I have to say that I agree. If the rules mentioned otherwise than that's one thing, but people should otherwise abide by the First Amendment regardless of what you do or don't want to hear and Ms. Corder did just that. As much as I don't believe in God or Jesus, she still has a first amendment right to say what she feels unless certain school rules prohibit it. And the nonsense of it not being in her rehearsal speech only prompts me to ask the question: Was it mandatory that whatever was in the rehearsal speech be presented as a carbon copy at the graduation? I don't think you'd find to many school officials going nuts over this if she'd changed a few words around as a last minute thing but as soon as you invoke Jesus' name you get a whole new can of worms.

Write this down, folks. I'm going to side with the theists on this one only because she has a Constitutional right to say what she did and not because I believe what she was talking about.
I'm just doing what you said to do...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/herdebu/smilies1/schedule.gif (broken link)

I may NEVER get this chance again!!

You're right...what if a Buddhist or a Muslim would have thanked their God or attempted to sway someone to Allah or??? What if an Atheist would have said "hey folks, let go of your belief in God"...what do you think would have happened...probably nothing.
But mention "Jesus" and WHOA!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
You're right...what if a Buddhist or a Muslim would have thanked their God or attempted to sway someone to Allah or??? What if an Atheist would have said "hey folks, let go of your belief in God"...what do you think would have happened...probably nothing.
But mention "Jesus" and WHOA!
Well, no, I'm not so sure about that either, but I find the infringement against Americans as a whole in terms of free speech seems to be a more and more widespread practice. With that being said, I'm still not sure what the rules of the school were either.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Well, no, I'm not so sure about that either, but I find the infringement against Americans as a whole in terms of free speech seems to be a more and more widespread practice. With that being said, I'm still not sure what the rules of the school were either.
But...would it be right for a school to administer "rules" that go against the First Amendment or any other part of the Constitution/Bill of Rights?

I say, regardless of the school rules, it would be unconstitutional...IMO

Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
But...would it be right for a school to administer "rules" that go against the First Amendment or any other part of the Constitution/Bill of Rights?

I say, regardless of the school rules, it would be unconstitutional...IMO
Well, a lot of places administer certain "keep the peace" type rules. In other words, if the school allowed full First Amendment rights than the kids could say whatever they wanted, to include curse words. So, in a sense, a certain amount of censorship is needed particularly in places where there are large gatherings. This is how the FCC gets away with censoring local TV for profanity. Yes, it limits what you can actually say on TV or on the radio, however they are basically decency laws.

But, if the school has no rules determining what "keeping the peace" may be than by all means she can say whatever she likes on that podium, up to and including telling the principal to "Go **** *******" as deemed by the First Amendment.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Well, a lot of places administer certain "keep the peace" type rules. In other words, if the school allowed full First Amendment rights than the kids could say whatever they wanted, to include curse words. So, in a sense, a certain amount of censorship is needed particularly in places where there are large gatherings. This is how the FCC gets away with censoring local TV for profanity. Yes, it limits what you can actually say on TV or on the radio, however they are basically decency laws.

But, if the school has no rules determining what "keeping the peace" may be than by all means she can say whatever she likes on that podium, up to and including telling the principal to "Go **** *******" as deemed by the First Amendment.
You're right, either way though, rules or no rules, I still think it's pretty ridiculous for the school to infringe on someone's rights.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,247,475 times
Regardless of school rules or First Amendment rights, I think holding up her diploma until she apologises is for the birds. Apologise HOW? Should she take out a full page ad in the newspaper? Telephone everyone?

Unfortunatly, it would seem that the young lady did this deliberatly. Was she that religiously inclined? Or did she just want to test the situation to see what she could do? I have doubts about her true motivations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality