Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM

89,077 posts, read 85,693,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Last time they came to my door, I just told them I am an atheist. They were horrified, although one of them debated me for a short while. I have no animosity for them; after all, they are young and they have to go around doing that for two years.
I'm not Mormon, but I don't understand why you perceived them to be "horrified". I'm sure that these Mormons knew pre-meeting-catman that atheists exist in large numbers.

That someone is an atheist is hardly a shocker.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,454,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If you think thats amusing you should have a look into the origins of mormonism, particularly it's founder, Joseph Smith..... A true testament to the old tride and true saying "if you build it, they WILL come"

Cue Katzpur's response.
Well i'm not sure if a follower of the 'Wargod Tu' is on any firmer footing or any less amusing

Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,587,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Apparently being dead is a problem for them and they cannot fathom why anyone would chose otherwise.

I don't find it amusing, but incredibly annoying when missionaries of any kind attempt to tell me what I should believe. Obviously I am either senile or otherwise incapable of thinking for myself according to the latest flavor of truthiness purveyors. Quite honestly, I am usually pretty rude to such butwads unless, of course, I decide to harass them for my amusement. It can be fun when I tell them that I AM God, or that the devil and I have reached an understanding. If they are going to impose on me, unasked, what I have to share with them probably won't be that close to the truth anyway. Arguing with zealots is counter productive so I end up having fun at their expense. Of course they are free to walk (or ride their bike) away.
Having lived in Utah for a number of years, I have encountered the LDS missionaries multiple times. They appear to be sincere. When I tell them that I have my own beliefs and am not interested in changing them, they always thank me for my time and leave.

How is that desperate?

PS, I am not LDS but have no problem with them as long as they show respect. This goes for all religions.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,943,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well i'm not sure if a follower of the 'Wargod Tu' is on any firmer footing or any less amusing
Lol I'm sure it isn't. It's just so amusing what some people are willing to take as truth.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,281,417 times
Mightyqueen801: Well, the acted reather horrified. Quite probably they knew that atheists exist, but they probably never expected to meet one in the flesh, especially one who was out front about it. And in a fairly nice neighborhood, too!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,208,770 times
I've meet quite a few Mormons the only judgement I have about those I know is they are Human like all people and as such each is an individual.

So far I've never had any problems from a person because they are Mormon. I do enjoy discussing theology with those I know and have never had one try to convert me.

I never had a Mormon speak against what I believe. All Momons I know accept the fact that we both disagree on somethings, but we can disagree without anger or malice.

As for the Mormon Missionaries, the world would be better off if all missionaries were as polite as the ones I have encountered and if like the Mormons respected the rights of others to believe different from them. A Mormon Missionary will accept a polite no as an answer and go no further.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,558,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
One has to ask just how desperate are so called Mormon missionaries.
A couple of young lads had a crack at me, now I believe in Tu, the god of war, no wimpy turn the other cheek types for me.

But even when I told them this and I mentioned I enjoyed tobacco, single malt whiskey, tea ,coffee and premarital sex as often as possible it still did not have them running off in terror.

But the most amusing part was them telling me that whiskey, coffee, etc etc etc were bad for me and I could die younger.

So the question is, do Mormons believe a long boring virtuous life is better than one where one has all the pleasures available to excess ?

Yes, because they are focused on the afterlife. They are more concerned with eternity, than with this life. But, you know that already, right?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,587,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Yes, because they are focused on the afterlife. They are more concerned with eternity, than with this life. But, you know that already, right?
Soounds to me like the definition of multiple other religions. They all claim to have a key to an afterlife.

So, outside of bigotry towards the LDS, what is the point of this thread?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,281,417 times
The only difference between the LDS and most other religions is that their differing beliefs originated in the 19th century and are more open to scrutiny, not being so veiled in the mists of time. The angel Moroni and the golden plates...did all that really happen? They are also one of the more active proselytizing churches. I bear them no ill will.

Last edited by catman; 01-17-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,558,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Soounds to me like the definition of multiple other religions. They all claim to have a key to an afterlife.

So, outside of bigotry towards the LDS, what is the point of this thread?
I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality