Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,124,411 times

Advertisements

Some think they can avoid it. I think these poeple are foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,669,626 times
When it comes to the subject of Death, I'm inclined to go with the words of Tecumseh of the Shawnee Nation.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,953,143 times
Death will be like a thief in the night for some.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,116,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
When it comes to the subject of Death, I'm inclined to go with the words of Tecumseh of the Shawnee Nation.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Good Thought.

Now I am remembering the words of Crazy Horse at the Battle of the Little Big Horn "Today is a good Day to Die." in the context it was said (" It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!”) it flows good with the words of Tecumseh

Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
I'm never gonna die, but I'm sorry to say the rest of you are Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 11-09-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,116,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm never gonna die, but I'm sorry to say the rest of you are screwed.
It is only this earthly lump of protoplasm we have as a body that dies. After nearly 3/4 of a century abusing the one I have I am ready to cast it aside.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,669,626 times
We live forever in the hearts and minds of our loved ones and students....

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,076,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
This is one of the topics that most people seem to brush off, or try to forget it, but in all honesty have you ever thought of death? if there's an afterlife or not? because if you think about it we as human beings, if we were to live healthy lives, it would be 70-80 years and most people pass away before that. Ps keep in mind when we pass away no one is going to accompany us to the grave, i personally think its something that some people need to put some thinking into it because its one of those things that each one of us will have to face.
I have a couple of ideas about death.

I've always thought that art is an explosion: something that lasts forever is some which we need not be worried for and thus can be taken for granted and becomes essentially worthless.

Quote:
Quote:
The meaning of life is that it stops.
~Kafka
We shall all live-forever in the mind of an all-knowing immortal.

Quote:
Quote:
The terrible thing about death is that it transforms life into destiny.
~Andre Malraux
Many people could only be so lucky as to die.
Quote:
Quote:
The whole world has taken the wrong way, for they fear nonexistence, while it is their refuge.
~Rumi
The formula for the acceptance of death is simple: live life.
Quote:
Quote:
...the safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
~ Voltaire
I have always noticed that not many fear death, what they fear is living again (they fear a possible after-life). What Religionist would then follow their religion, if death was real?

Quote:
Quote:
The most horrible of all evils, death, is nothing to us; for when we exist, death is not present; but when death is present, then we are not.
~ Epicurus

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,908,245 times
Living forever is more disconcerting. Death can be a friend, and take us away from horrendous circumstances. We change dimensions I believe. Energy is transformed. We just don't know everything, and in our current evolution, that may be a blessing.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,723,258 times
I'm hoping that in 20-30 years time I will be able to download myself into a robot body that is faster, stronger and better than our present bodies. I won't die, rather, I can just go on sleep mode for a thousand years, then wake up and see what changes have happened, eg- has pot been made legal?

Death could be a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality