Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM

604 posts, read 751,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
A Christian Cross on a municipal structure is offensive to me as a Jew.
Can I ask why?

Quote:
Many people, including many Jews, think the Star of David is the symbol of the Jewish religion. It is not.

The 7-branch Temple Menorah (not to be confused with the 8-branch Chanukah Menorah) is the religious symbol of the Jewish faith, but Jewish law prevents its public display in the same manner as Christians display the Cross, the religious symbol of the Christian faith.

It is at times of public display that the 6-pointed Magen Duveed (Star of David), the ensign of the House of David and the secular symbol of the Jewish people, is substituted for the 7-Branch Temple Menorah. This is confusing, and even many Jews think that the Star of David is a religious symbol, which it is not.

Additionally, you may find it interesting to know that it's a great surprise to many that G. Washington and the other founding fathers (mostly Free Masons, I've been told) included the Magen Duveed (Star of David), the secular symbol of the Jewish people, on the Great Seal of the United States. You can readily see it by looking directly above the Eagle on the reverse of the one-dollar bill (it's in the stars).
So, Jewish people don't have a symbol they can 'show off'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,306 times
Everybody else is Protestant without pictures, statues, and all that life of the grotesque; whereas Catholicism is with the pagan worship. Great? Im never sure how that really is understood in the religious context.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Can I ask why?
A Christian Cross is an idolatrous symbol.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
So, Jewish people don't have a symbol they can 'show off'?
No; for public display on private property the 6-pointed Magen Duveed (Star of David), the ensign of the House of David and the secular symbol of the Jewish people, is substituted for the 7-Branch Temple Menorah, the symbol of the Jewish faith.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ahh, I understand how it's idolatrous, just not how it's offensive.
Idolatrous symbols are offensive to Jews.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,098,770 times
I did not mention it before, but the cross is also highly offensive to us Muslims, for the same reasons Walter named it as offensive to Jews.

Islam does not have any religious symbols. The Star and Crescent actually are a symbol of the Ottoman Empire and not of Islam. The western world associated the Ottomans with Islam and assumed the star and crescent are symbolic of Islam.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM

604 posts, read 751,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Show off? Really

You feel the need to "show off" your religion like it was a new bicycle?
I was using the term 'show off', not meaning it to the connotation it implies.

The Cross seems to 'represent' Christianity, and when you see a cross, many people think of Christianity, I was just curious if there was a symbol that did the same for Jews.

Quote:
Idolatrous symbols are offensive to Jews.
It is what it is.
Appreciate your input.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I suppose - if you think it represents a god people light incense to....
Incense lighting is not a prerequisite; anything that is associated with worship of other than the one, true G-d is idolatry, as well as any 3-dimensional representation of people or animals, such as statues or busts.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,098,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I suppose - if you think it represents a god people light incense to....
I can not speak for Walter as He follows a different path than I follow. But as a Muslim it is idolatrous as it is a man made object people pray to.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,572,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I can not speak for Walter as He follows a different path than I follow. But as a Muslim it is idolatrous as it is a man made object people pray to.
I see. Christians don't believe the man-made object hears or answers prayers. It's more a reminder that Christ lived in the real world with an actual body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality